Suggestions

daveq

I'm building a couple of guitars. Each one is being built for a different style of music. The first is intended for a hard rock/metal player and I think I'm going with the screamon demon and a single coil (?? don't know what single coil yet).

The second is intended to be a more versatile guitar. Something that can be used for clean/dirty sound. Blues/hard rock/blah,blah,blah... It's a honduran mahagony body with maple top, birdseye fretboard, and laminated neck (purple heart, mahagony, maple - very little purple heart).

If anyone has suggestions for the single coil for guitar #1 or any ideas in general for guitar #2 I'd like to hear them. Guitar #2 keeps bugging me. I don't know if I want to go with 2 HB's or HB/S/S or something else. That's why I was asking about the single coil sized HB earlier.

I know this is a very subjective issue and everyone will have their own opinions, I'm just stuck on guitar #2. I really can't commit and need some help with some ideas.

Thanks,

Dave

laminated neck (purple heart, mahagony, maple - very little purple heart).

B) more purple heart!!! :D

single coil for #1, if you want the lynch sound, can you find out what he uses in the neck?, i've heard it's along the lines of a fernandez sustainer type pickup and i'm guessing it's either made by ESP or seymour. But if you want a metal guitar EMG'S DUDE!!!! 81 bridge and 89 neck..

#2 :D gl!!!

Thanks for the suggestions-

I'll check into those Andersons and those strat pickups.

Derek,

The pruple heart is the same that I was talking about earlier. It's jus two strips 1/8" each to border the mahagony. My first guitar I built has the EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I'm very happy with them but I want to try some others. Thanks for the suggestion though. George used to use something called a "Stagger Strat Left" single coil if that means anything to you. I think the ESP's come with something else (ESP brand) if you buy from them. Maybe they are the same, I don't know.

If anyone knows what "Stagger Strat Left" means, please let me know. I'm not sure if that is a brand or type of pickup?

Thanks again, I'll check out the types suggested.

Thanks for the pic of that stagger cfg roli - that pretty much sums it up.

canuckguitarist - I have an RG550 that has that setup (with just the 5-way) and I do like it. I don't find myself using the single in the middle much and I have read somewhere where others have complained that it is useless. I wouldn't go as far as calling it useless myself but what do you think? Does the middle single coil get much use by any of you guys? If so, what type of music?

I use a pearly gates in the bridge and a carvin m22 in the neck of my squier fat strat- the guitar was dying and these pickups really saved it. I put a series/split/parallel switch in the pearly gates, but I don't use it that much, I might take it out. Also, I put a coil selector switch (3 way) on the m22 because it only had 3 conductors and there was a diagram that came with the pickups that showed how to do it.-Anyway, both of these pickups were awesome before and after I put the switches in, and I was only using a volume knob- no tone controls. I get a lot of cool sounds out of this guitar now. The m22 is really smooth (great for jazz), and the pearly gates is really punchy- it seems like the emphasis of that pickup is on the attack of the note (which is a really cool thing to have for the bridge). Also, I bought a guitar from www.mandalaymusic.com (an axl strat copy) and it came with emg single coils. I think they are similar to the emg select series- anyway, those pickups are really nice, too. the axl strat only costs about $180 with shipping, and it sounds just as good as any fender- you can even get it with a maple neck.

Hope I helped,

-Funkmaster Nate