"less Paul" Mandolin

I am a little late to getting this thread started because I started this project about 8 months ago and just took a 4 month long break (the first 4 months very very leisurely work.) Anyways. So i had the idea a while back to build a mandolin shaped like a Les Paul, and decided i would name it the "Less Paul".

IMG_0276.jpg

this is the neck a few months ago(the story with the body in the background is that i wanted to do binding so i routed the channel, and then i didn't want binding anymore... so)

IMAG0204.jpg

This is the blank for the new body that has been already cut out and is going to the planer tomorrow. I will post pics then

• 7 months later...

I've been jonesing for a mandolin for a while too. I'd have to re-tune it like a guitar so I could play it. At that point, I might as well add 2 more strings and just make it an octave guitar.

No tune it in 5ths. It is easier to larn than you would think but it does make you think differently about music. That is a good thing in my book.

I've been jonesing for a mandolin for a while too. I'd have to re-tune it like a guitar so I could play it. At that point, I might as well add 2 more strings and just make it an octave guitar.

my octave 12 SG did sound very mandolin like

MSG1.jpg

but since building that i got a mandolin and realised that mandolin chords &tuning is pretty easy - easier than squeezing full guitar chords onto a half scale fret spacing

• Like 1

my octave 12 SG did sound very mandolin like

MSG1.jpg

but since building that i got a mandolin and realised that mandolin chords &tuning is pretty easy - easier than squeezing full guitar chords onto a half scale fret spacing

Awesome, this is a fillertron pickup?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...