The Owl And The Fox

ahhah we're in the same boat! The current one is also my 4th, and was the first perfect one untill I got a little crack in the neck from a lack of volute, but it is now fixed.

I don't get much glue slide, either I'm lucky or know how much to leave around to keep it safe. Screw's scare me.

Nowa90. I was only going to build one guitar. A humbucker strat because I could not find one to buy so I said to myself I'll build one. I thought at that time I would be the only person in the world that thought of building a guitar until I done a google search. Never though there would be so many builders out there. Now I'm hooked on it and I also think that my 4th will be perfect. A combination of gaining skils and tips of the trade and also investing in good tooling.

Muzz. I would not route without the vacuum. Double that when working with Padauk. I also use a mask as I've only got one pair of lungs.

Nowa90. I was only going to build one guitar. A humbucker strat because I could not find one to buy so I said to myself I'll build one. I thought at that time I would be the only person in the world that thought of building a guitar until I done a google search. Never though there would be so many builders out there. Now I'm hooked on it and I also think that my 4th will be perfect. A combination of gaining skils and tips of the trade and also investing in good tooling.

Muzz. I would not route without the vacuum. Double that when working with Padauk. I also use a mask as I've only got one pair of lungs.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent got a lot to show for 2 weeks but here it is. I was not keen on the Walnut and Maple neck blank because I dont think it goes with the Cocobolo and Padauk body. So..I made a Padauk and Wenge neck blank and I think it will marry better with the body.

I have not ran it through the planner yet as the wife only allowed me enough time to cut it.

If I mess this neck up its OK as I made 5 of these neck blanks. If all goes well the spare 4 will end up on ebay.

DSC_7115.jpg

DSC_7114.jpg

How much are you wanting for one of the Padauk/Wenge blanks? I might be interested in one.

What are the dimensions?

Is Padauk an oily timber that requires a different timber than titebond as it looks like it may be? On that note, what glue have you used on these?

Thanks.

Padauk will oxidize brown. If you finish it before it turns brown it will hold a dark reddish/orange for several years. If you UV protect it and keep it out of the sun even longer.

Padauk is a great wood for titebond. Very easy to get seamless joints. No need for epoxy.

Padauk makes great stain when a piece is left in alcohol or acetone for long period of time.

Hitting padauk with acetone before gluing will bring the oils to the surface but they just mix in with titebond and turn it a red purple.

Titebond will leave stains so you have to be careful about taping up areas you are worried about... no getting it out after the glue hits the surface.

Padauk will tear-out easily. Works with a scraper like a rosewood. Sands fast. Polishes amazing.

Orange dust everywhere... stains everything it touches.

I think RestoratioAD has answered the questions about Padauk.

The dimensions are 970mm long x 75mm wide thickness to order as I have not cut them yet. 25mm max though.

I was going to sell them for £35 plus postage.

Yes Padauk is an oily wood as it clogs my drum sander up with one pass.

I use Polyurathane with oily woods as I have never had a problem. Tightbond original for everything else. Poly glues Cocobolo a treat.

Work out how much airmail postage is to Australia and if it's not ridiculous post I might take one.

I couldnt go any thinner than 25mm as by the time it's passed over the jointer a couple times for the fingerboard it's not leaving any room for error. 30mm would be perfect if you happened to cut a slightly chunkier one

Its by UPS. I was expecting about £30 but £70 is way over the top. Is it hard to get Wenge and Padauk in Australia?

Figured as Much. UPS for international transport are plain friggen rude when it comes to pricing. A normal mail carrier would be probably a third to a quarter of the price.

Funny thing is, being that I live in a country area it gets delivered by the same people whether you pay cheap or expensive post!

I've never seen either of these timbers in usable sizes anywhere here. Same as many of our timbers you'd never see over there.

I'm not stressed. I'll just make something with what I have here. cheers