Jump to content

Entry for May 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

iluvteles

The Owl And The Fox

Recommended Posts

The inserts were from Ebay and the bolts are furniture bolts from Screwfix in the UK.

Yes I'm going to have the inserts flush. Just waiting for the glue to harden.

This built is going well again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never gave the forum an update for a while so here goes:

The body has 3 coats of Danish oil and feels great except for the huge pores. I did not want to grain fill as I wanted the guitar to be as natural as possible. I dont mind the pores as they are a natural event and since it is my guitar, what I say goes :P

DSC_7399.jpg

I also gave a little nod to PRS

DSC_7400.jpg

The Owl incase anybody has forgoten

DSC_7402.jpg

The fox

DSC_7403.jpg

The neck that I have milled down to thickness. Since the neck is Ibanez spec I'm going to make the neck very thin

DSC_7406.jpg

DSC_7407.jpg

DSC_7408.jpg

DSC_7409.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see this back on track again, I see the owl, the fox looks like a cute baby owl to me, lovely colours in the timbers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies lads.

The neck is now shaped. I tried to do a fancy volute but I dont know if it has worked or not. I niether like it or dislike it.

Next job is to do the fretwork. I'm not that good at fretwork but I'll just have to get on with it.

Danish oil after the fret work.

DSC_7410.jpg

DSC_7412.jpg

DSC_7414.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Bill

The volute: like all my guitar builds I just make it up as I go along. It was not planned in my original "in my head design". I did it when I was reducing the thickness of the headstock and decided to try and do a fancy volute. I've been doing the fretwork today and the volute is growing on me now. I'm glad I did it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The body is just about done. Still need to solder the toggle switch and get a new jack. The supplied EMG stereo jack is imperial size but the Electrosocket is metric.

DSC_7418.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your hardware choices look excellent with this top. The abalone tops of the knobs are throwing me a bit, but I do think they will tie in nicely with your fret markers. Beauty!

Personally, I've always seen two owls and a fox. You've got a pair of owls at the waist--one per side-- and then picturing each of them as one eye and the bookmatched grain below the bridge as the snout of the fox.......er, except it is more proportioned like the muzzle of a wolf. And the horns are ears.

SR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Scott. It was my intension to use the abalone dots in the neck and have the abalone telecaster knobs to match. They are a bit bright but I'll decide on them once the neck is on.

As for the animals I never seen the snout until you pointed it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've put strings on and give it a test. Its not set up but its just a test. It sounded real bad then I noticed that the lead was not pluged all the way in. Once it was all the way in (hmmmm) it just has one bassey tone. The volume, tone and toggle do not do anything all all. Just the same bassey tone no mater now I adjust the toggle and pots. The funny thing is: when the lead was not fully in the toggle and pots worked even though it sounded like it was under water.

Help is needed. Its the first time I have used or played active pickups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are wiring diagrams over on the EMG and Seymour Duncan website that should be pretty straight forward to follow (SD Blackouts are electrically the same thing as your EMGs). The most common mistake seems to be wiring up the output jack incorrectly. You need a stereo output jack to enable the battery to be disconnected when the guitar is unplugged to prevent the battery being run down - make sure you have the signal ouput wire wired to tip, battery negative lead wired to ring, and signal ground wired to sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Curtisa, I was thinking it was something to do with the output jack. I'll have a look tonight. Now, I'm off to the beach.

Just needs setting up and the electrics put right.

DSC_7508.jpg

DSC_7499.jpg

DSC_7497.jpg

DSC_7491.jpg

DSC_7488.jpg

DSC_7480.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Geoff. Thats it for building until 2013. I only build one per year. The rest of the year I'm going to spend cutting up all the ash, yes and spalted beech into drop tops and body blanks.

See you all next year :player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its all set up now and playing well. I dont know what the sound problem was but its now fixed. I just wiggled the wires to the output jack and it now works a treat.

I just wish I was a good player :blush

:player :player :player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...