Entry for June 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open!
ENTER HERE!

5 hours ago, Zoltar said:

You may have regrets about that axle-flag, but I don't think you should have any regrets about scratching around on a 70's RD350...

*...jealous...

Not jealous enough! ;)

... after that I returned to Japan and bought a Yamaha RZ-250 and bought the upgrade parts to make it the water-cooled RD-350WC. Next a Kawasaki Mach V 750 triple. After a few large-bore 4-strokes, I “went home to Momma” and bought the Honda NSR-250R/R and tuned it to track spec. Gotta love 2-stroke street bikes!  (fell in love after borrowing a friend’s ‘71 Mach III 500 ... whine/rattle/clang ... Zoooom off in a cloud of blue smoke!!)

Got old, ride a Harley Super Glide now. :)

Three months later ... :blush

Well, the holidays were great, two waves of kids/grandkids visiting Japan, blah-blah. About two months ago went down to plane the bodies, and ... ARGGgHHhHH! Old tendinitis flared up (motorcycles for 45+ years, carpenter 35+ years, "Kamikaze" downhill racer 5+ years), so thought to give it a rest. But it just kept getting worse. Started at right thumb, numbness and pain, then inside right elbow, weakness and pain, now right index finger, all-of-the-above. Doctor gave me a corticosteroid/lidocaine shot in the thumb, thought it was getting better until last week ... but, NO! Yesterday got another shot in the elbow, drew several vials for rheumatism blood tests, took a gazillion X-rays, then pushed me into the "rehabilitation room" and hooked me up to "The Machine" from The Princess Bride. I go back next week for another round. :hyper

Sigh

I'll be back ... :thumb:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Edited by charisjapan

While rehabilitatin' I have been putzing around the shop (but not cleaning it up :p) making a body size router-planer box. I hope to get back to hand planning, but unless I can miraculously procure and find space for a flatness sander, this should get the job done. I am in the process of putting together the slide using nylon rollers for smooth operation (I hope). The holes are for M6 bolts to hold down shim plates and locator blocks.

Will let you know if it works as expected. ;)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

On 3/22/2018 at 2:10 PM, Mr Natural said:

looks like you got jiggy with an octopus. 

Now that is funny!

Sorry to hear of the health woes.   

That looks a good 'simple but effective' router jig!  I need to improve mine so have watched with interest :)

Got to spend some time with the router box today.  First I cut two 2X4s, checking for same dimensions and square, then clamped them between the rails.  I first glued the connector blocks on the bottom, just to keep everything in place while I drilled and counter sunk the screws that mechanically hold the thing together.  I know the glue won't stick to the anodized aluminum very well, but when something has to stay together, I often use glue and screws/bolts.  So far, my stuff stays together for a long time. ;)

I will use a 30mm dish bit for planing bodies ... had good luck with that when shaping the necks on my previous builds.  I made roller blocks by routing out a straight block of wood, to make sure the four rollers were positioned in the blocks correctly.  I will glue these one next after fine-tuning, but did a mock-up to make sure it worked as it should.  I will add anti-lift blocks under the slide to keep the carriage from jumping up while planing.  The router base moves in the sled with .2mm play ... nice and tight, but no binding.  In the video, it sounds really scratchy, but it's not really.  I will clean everything up and add a coat of wax before using for sure!  I'm also concerned about the router just sitting on top, so will probably make some kind of clamp to keep it from bucking ... maybe even use those two pine blocks.  I know it seems a bit silly to make everything move so smoothly, then have to keep it from moving, but I've seen what a 30,000 rpm router can do! :Ohno:

I gotta admit, it's been fun making this! :)

24806575500_7c72c1fbfe_b.jpg

40924048702_2d3aca1446_b.jpg

27172100148_19d0c435e4_b.jpg

27172105608_3b314743e2_b.jpg

Edited by charisjapan
  • Like 1