Wiring Idea For Dual Humbucker

Guitar Goomba

I saw the four position Telecaster switches that Obsidian offers and got to thinking I could use two of those to create an interesting sound chain in a dual humbucker design (one switch per humbucker).  My thinking is that I can wire the switches to give me the following options: single coil (bridge side), single coil (neck side), both single coils (parallel), and humbucker.  Combine that with a three way toggle switch (ala Les Paul) and I imagine I could have the ability to create a guitar with 24 pickup sounds (4 single coil, 6 dual single coil, 3 humbucker, 4 tripple single coil, 1 quad single coil, 4 humbucker/single coil, and 2 humbucker/parallel single coil).  Has anyone here tried something like this?  Has anyone heard of anyone doing this?

Edited by Guitar Goomba

The 4-way Tele mod is pretty common (bridge, bridge+neck parallel, neck, bridge+neck series), but you can treat the two singles on a Tele as the equivalent of the two coils in a single humbucker. That would give the equivalent of 1 = bridge-side single, 2 = coils in parallel, 3 = neck-side single, 4 = full humbucker (note the switching order - that may be an issue for you if you have expectations about how the switch should behave).

Haven't heard of being done, but I can't see why it shouldn't work

as curtisa mentioned... you COULD treat each set like a tele setup... but you'd only have 4x4=16 combos as you couldn't turn either completely off (unless other controls were involved).  I've done lots of work using a 3 way plus a 4/5/6pdt rotary... much simpler operation.  lots of dif ways to skin a cat.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot rings give these options too:

seymour-duncan-ts-1-triple-shot-bridge-trembucker-coil-switching-mounting-ring-black-343437.jpg.60de8c2a8a4aa56788c5f91bc67263a1.jpg

I imagine its the same switch circuitry but just with the micro switches built into the ring.

I've fitted these to a couple of of my own guitars and they work well.  Both switches one say gives single on the fixed pole side, both the other way gives single on the screw pole side, both switches away from each other gives parallel and both switches towards each other gives series.

Especially for live, quite a usable set of sounds.

Did you ever make the mod, @Guitar Goomba ?