The vote on May 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
VOTE HERE

Sign in to follow this  
Lwguitar

1st build Walnut Multiscale 7 string

I went by my dads house to borrow his table saw. 

82BA906F-3A39-4CF9-8E16-4E76C4FCB3D2.thumb.jpeg.9503c7159db818f43d94e34a5ab73262.jpeg49BC1683-8E51-471F-AF83-52F45FB01303.thumb.jpeg.73f3e84465ab506a3674ac1be289b2d4.jpeg73AE31DC-8FE6-4B1D-A3B6-352548A553F7.thumb.jpeg.01adc4ad2503f85e671357be22ea610b.jpeg

Probably took out 2 hours of hand sawing! Also I now have a nice deep kerf to help guid the saw blade. Two more hours of hand sanding and I should have two pieces of wood!

I wish I had used this method for book matching the top, it would have been much quicker and resulted in a thicker flatter top.

AC53306D-F0A1-4BD7-A3F3-B77082A0E0ED.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lwguitar said:

I went by my dads house to borrow his table saw. 

Probably took out 2 hours of hand sawing! Also I now have a nice deep kerf to help guid the saw blade. Two more hours of hand sanding and I should have two pieces of wood!

I wish I had used this method for book matching the top, it would have been much quicker and resulted in a thicker flatter top.

Yep that looks good, essentially that is what I do only with a hand kerfing plane. If you make the side you're cutting the underside, you've got some real nice grain-matching control covers there

23 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Yep that looks good, essentially that is what I do only with a hand kerfing plane. If you make the side you're cutting the underside, you've got some real nice grain-matching control covers there

I can’t make up my mind on wether I want to attempt to match up the control cover using the Makore or just make a high contrast cover using Wenge (same material as neck). 

13 hours ago, Lwguitar said:

I can’t make up my mind on wether I want to attempt to match up the control cover using the Makore or just make a high contrast cover using Wenge (same material as neck). 

My initial thought when I did that was that it's an awful lot of effort for a control cover. If you can keep it flat over time then you could use it as a drop top, but my 15mm slither of limber I cut free cupped significantly anyway (wasn't dry enough) so my choice was use it for a cover or bin it. But IMO having perfectly grain matched control covers looks that little bit more boutique.

I guess you could make your wenge one first and decide if you like it or not. 

7 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I guess you could make your wenge one first and decide if you like it or not

I was going to say "do both" but that might save a larger piece of wood for something more spectacular.

56 minutes ago, Jdogg said:

Wenge is rarely, if ever, unacceptable in my opinion.....

Unless you use it for a body, then it's f$%cking heavy 😂

On 5/15/2019 at 11:56 AM, Lwguitar said:

would seem a shame to waste such a big and pretty piece of wood for just a few ctrl cavities.  I think as long as you tie it in by matching with something else... it'll look good, possibly even better.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:45 AM, ADFinlayson said:

My initial thought when I did that was that it's an awful lot of effort for a control cover. If you can keep it flat over time then you could use it as a drop top, but my 15mm slither of limber I cut free cupped significantly anyway (wasn't dry enough) so my choice was use it for a cover or bin it. But IMO having perfectly grain matched control covers looks that little bit more boutique.

I guess you could make your wenge one first and decide if you like it or not. 

I'm going to use magnets to hold the cover in place and if I was able to get the grain matched up just right it would look pretty awesome. I just hate to cut a whole in the middle of that big piece of figured Makore.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:18 PM, Bizman62 said:

I was going to say "do both" but that might save a larger piece of wood for something more spectacular.

Yah, ruining the big piece of Makore is where I'm struggling!

19 hours ago, Jdogg said:

Wenge is rarely, if ever, unacceptable in my opinion.....

I'm pretty sure it would look awesome, maybe just not as awesome as a grain matched cover. 

14 hours ago, mistermikev said:

would seem a shame to waste such a big and pretty piece of wood for just a few ctrl cavities.  I think as long as you tie it in by matching with something else... it'll look good, possibly even better.

My thoughts exactly... but it would look so cool if I pulled it off!

7 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Have you got enough walnut left for a control cover? That would look badass 

I'm pretty sure I will. A flamed walnut would look pretty cool!

• Like 2

No pictures but I sawed for about an hour and got 1/4 of the way through. Haha!

The blade was starting to wonder off even with the deep kerf. I think the blade is flexing when I push it. Not sure what to do about that.

I need one of these!

F23B8E90-A040-499E-92E6-FB90A0CBE117.thumb.png.9ebe31254c30b8b5c966b34a64d66bfb.png

My fave thing so far is that it looks from the pics like someones turned their dining room in to a workshop... wife be damned! lol...

1 hour ago, Urumiko said:

My fave thing so far is that it looks from the pics like someones turned their dining room in to a workshop... wife be damned! lol...

HAHA! Nope, pics are in our garage/workshop. 

I want to keep the wife happy! She is supportive and I want to keep it that way! 😁

40 minutes ago, Lwguitar said:

HAHA! Nope, pics are in our garage/workshop. 

I want to keep the wife happy! She is supportive and I want to keep it that way! 😁

haha, wait until you get 6 or 7 guitars in mate, the supportiveness may gain some sour undertones, in some cases may kick back like maple on a router. I make sure all jobs are done before I step foot in the garage, then regular application of wine and flowers with lunches out most weekends is  just about keeping mine on side. 

1 hour ago, ADFinlayson said:

all jobs are done before I step foot in the garage, then regular application of wine and flowers with lunches out most weekends

Boys, boys, you're doing it all wrong! What if one day you'll notice that the money coming is barely enough for some mac'n'cheese and the necessary wood? Should that day come, and it will when your babies start wanting a smarter phone than the kid in the kindergarten, you'll be in trouble. Keep your ladies on the edge now so reality won't hit that hard when powerty knocks on the door.

You know what happened to the luthier who won big in the Lottery? He continued building guitars for as long as any money was left.

• Like 1