how to get free electronics for guitars

ansil

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been making calls like that since i was 13 and that was over 15 years ago.. dumpster diving is an art form.. and should be appreciated. most tennagers now adays sound like they haven't hit puberty anyway so dont' worry about the dumpster service getting wise just talk to them like they are another person and not an authority figure just keep calm. [edited to keep BS rants down]

dude that you can't say that. i know somebody who got her computer taken away cause of that cookbook crap. yeah, dumpster diving freakin rules. when i was in like the 6th grade i would get all the sprite caps to get the rocket cash stuff. i got like a $50 video game for free. i'm so gonna go dumpster dive, thanks for the pointers

[edited to keep bs rants down]

From frankies post I'd assume he reccomended what I've been holding off on

Go through old issues of 2600 and phrack ect...they have some decent tips....

The old hacking magazines will give you plenty of pointers for diving and social engineering...

A story I got from the counterpane newsletter

http://lineman.net/node/view/270

Talk about Balls....

A couple of kevin mitniks stories are kind of fun too...not that I encourage doing anything illegal but things like this are all too easy...I yelled at my phone company for not verifying any info when I called...

I'm certainly not "too proud" to pick up stuff being thrown away. I've gotten a truck load of great stuff that way. Just in my neighborhood I've gotten 2 guitars, comp monitors, bunch of old tube radio equipment (sometimes with nice old 12Ax7 pre-amp tubes).

1 comp monitor just had a broken solder connection on the on/off switch.

VCR just needed the spring in the remote bent, so it would make contact with the battery properly.

Ok, but this is about guitar stuff, so I won't go into detail about all the non-guitar related stuff.

Most electronic stuff has wire that is perfectly fine for guitar and effects. I've gotten tons of diodes out of junked stuff, including the Germanian, or however it's spelled. Let's just say when I built my tube-screamer , I had option anxiety about which diodes to try, because I had so many, and I didn't buy any of them.

I once picked up some shower door frame aluminum pieces that were being thrown away. I cut it all up and took it to get money at the scrap place, I accidentally left one piece in my garage. It's the U-channel piece. Well, when I made my tube screamer (from a radar detector box) I needed a plate for the front and back. I then made some out of that shower door frame piece . What a cool as hell panel that stuff made. I had to cut the sides off and sand some protrusions off one side, but I was careful not to mess up the one side that shows. It's got these really fine lines from how the stuff is made (rolled through a die ? ), which looks great on an electronics box. I wish I would have kept more. It would be great for amp control panels and rack mount effects.

I've even recycled circuit boards, especially the "sparsely populated" ones. I'll pull everything off, then drill new holes.

I gutted some old tv's mainly to get all the terminal strips out. Hard work, but worth it. If you want to build an amp with vintage vibe, why not use vintage parts where ever you can ?

I'm currently stripping apart a 1953 radio that was out for the trash, here in Germany. First time I ever saw an EL 12 tube.

You can get nice tube power transformers out of old tv's.

Output trannys are harder to know what you can use. I've read about the method of finding out what impedance they are, but it's still too complicated for me.

But I've got a hell of a stash of parts for building small tube amps and effect just from stuff other people were getting rid of.

I was even given a 68 Fender Bassman head, because the guy was about to put it in the trash

oh, and stuff for building jigs, is endless. Not long ago these people had a big thin blue pieces of plastic leaning against their trash can, I looked at it and it was clear plexi that never had the blue protective covering peeled off.

And wood. I'm getting quite a collection of oak, maple and mahogany, mainly from stuff people throw away.

I need to find a metal bending "pan brake" so I can make better amp chassis from scratch, then I can start bolting down all these tube sockets I take off of stuff.

Oh yeah, last summer I found two computer rack units. the same size as guitar rack mount stuff. I could make amps out of those.

All they have in my neightborhood is branches and cardboard :D

dude where do you live lol??? unless you are like in another country you can usually find stuff fairly easy in usa by driving only a couple of miles. but then again if you are outside the city then it may not be so easy. and most of my friends in europe and in central america find stuff like this too.. my budy gringo made a pcb drill out of a little 12v motor and a single drill bit. i got inspired and built one out of a 12v micro motor. and a piece of pvc pipe and the end of a dremel. so its adjustable.

most vacums that is 12 spst or spdt switches good ac cord.. and sometimes a good motor depending on the hookups

You should try a business or industrial area....the industial area's tend to be a tad more **** about their garbage though....and the garbage has a chance of being more dangerous...

But computer stores and electronics stores....or even repair places are great places to check out

Residential mostly. Rarely do they put their branches on the curb downtown. . .

I looked around today, nothing but cardboard, branches, rotted old fence wood, and 2 busted vaccum cleaners.

Well, I certainly don't find good stuff everytime I walk around the neighborhood when the trash is out. Maybe once every 3 weeks. You can't see the small stuff if you just drive by, except maybe if you are on a bike. But, I never open cans and look inside. I just notice what's sitting out in the open next to the cans. Sometimes if there's a box I might open the top to check inside. I've found a few things that way.

I really wish I had a warehouse to store all the stuff. I let a lot of good stuff go, like building materials, which I could probably use, since one of my businesses is home rehab.

yesterday i got three tube amp chasis's i got fourteen tubes and two output transformers two voltage transformers and a slew of sockets caps and resistors. and a few pots. got to love those radio/tv/record players that were tube. also call or vist some local repair shops and ask if they have any old tube radios or tv's i got to pick some up today that a guy is giving me like five tv's and a radio. all tube. none of them work but hey its parts..

pics?

necks.jpg

carvinclonebody.jpg

• 6 months later...

Man this is an old thread im bringing back up. Well i know how this thread says about getting stuff from guitar places like Guitar Center or Sam Ash, but how do you ask for stuff like that. LA people are snoby and just toss it. What is an excuse or a format speech that i should ask about taking there broken electronics parts or guitar parts? I mean i tried after i first read this thread, and stumble upon the thread again in a search. So, can anyone give me an excuse or a speech that they would give me parts. Sorry if i sound too demanding, but it is hard in the LA area, well for a 15 year old kid.

Thanks,

Monkey

"dear sir or madam, who is your decision maker at this fine institute. who has the power to make deals."

step 1. fluff them up and make them a regular stop for picks strings and little stuff to keep you on their good side. and since you are a kid most people will likely give it to you for little or nothing at all.