The Papa Bear Variations

Damn I hate making templates, but it was a template day fer sher ten-four.

Papa Bear on the left, a Gibson ES 225 (or 125, or whatever you want to call it)

Not quite full-size, these are about 15" at the waist. Florentine cutaway, my favorite all-time body style in the WORLD bar none.

This thing looks you in the eye with a pompadour flash and says rock-n-roll, daddy-o.

Mama bear, the Venetian cutaway version for ya jazzbos out dere blowin' it soooo cooool...dig it baby, yaa...

Then I made a 'Junior' Florentine version, about 1" overall smaller than Papa.

Head Cutter sez I. I can see a cherry-burst with all black hardware and a black Floyd for this one. Hollow, too. Can you say controlled feedback au jus?

The Baby Bear is an actual Les Paul template.

Ummm, I think Mr. Twangler has left the building for now, and it's time to rock out, Gibson-stylee. :D

I don't like carving tops, either. It's gonna be a long year.

I've had a bunch of carve-top woods sitting around here for quite awhile, I guess it's about time I used them for something.

I've got:

Quartersawn booked Spruce set

Quartersawn booked Myrtle sets (2)

Quartersawn Figured Claro Walnut (still one piece)

Quartersawn Curly Redwood (2 sets)

Ans some Quilted Maple that will work too.

Papa%20Bear.jpg

I like them all really, there's a different purpose for each one.

I pretty much decided the Spruce top set and Walnut bottom set will see the Venetian, and it will be a fo'-reel archtop jazzer (...see ya in 2 years :D )

The Junior will see the Myrtle, maybe both sides (that would be cool)

The Daddy-O 225 will see the Figured Maple top and Redwood back.

But any of them will take a year or better, I'll update at Christmas!

Yes, the Junior will have to have a Floyd, dammit, and be black hardware. It will be the 'Problem Child'! (AC/DC reference fully intended :D )

I absolutely love Gibson styled bodies, but hate them as flattops, they HAVE to be arched tops, and that takes time and committment, practice and patience, which means time squared squared, hehehe... :D:DB)