Unleashing the Mod from Hell

ADMIN EDIT: LGM- this is your second warning about posting pics instead of links Let's get it cleaned up

Could somebody tell me what this is all about?

Just curious, it would seem there are more rules than I was aware of, so I'm asking to become more informed. :D

yeah, are we only allowed link to pics now?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're trying to keep the site from running out of space. At least , to me, that seems to be the root of the problem with all of this (badges, etc).

I think the root of the problem is the search function... how to get it used more. That would help save space and help keep veterans of the site from getting a little pissed about topics being repeated.

But some of the recent pics are so funny, they're priceless.

Anyone in the guitar repair business needs all the good laughs they can get.

Could somebody tell me what this is all about?

Pics fill a lot of bandwidth. I think posting pics is fine, just limit the size. But sometimes its hard to give a quality finishing job the justice it deserves when you have to sacrifice resolution. So I guess the best way is to just post a link to a picture hosting site or your webpage to show your project in all its glory. ...instead of someone opening a thread and seeing a headstock filling the page and then realizing that the WHOLE guitar is in there, :D . Its been done here and I've pitied the guys on dial-up connections.

Regarding picture hosting sites, I know there is a pinned thread on it but it seems that some of the places mentioned turned out to be duds. I've been through so many now and am getting a bit PO'ed. Some are really hard to post links from, I mean url's literally as long as your arm! And then when you DO succeed in getting something posted in a thread on this board its only good for a little while. Leave it long enough and when someone goes to look at it the site tells them they have to register. Thats a cheap shot, IMO.

I've been using photobucket and fellservesite and haven't got a proble, did once with the resolution on pb, I e-mailed them and it was fixed the same day, and this is a free....... site. I thought that you couldn't post pics here because of the bandwidth and thats why yuo need to use a pic host site, so whats te deal with the pics... I love to see them and I hate to sometimes open another browser then copy, cut and paste... to see it, and then have a "you are not sign in.." thingy. I've been posting a pic and some URL's lately just because I don't like to be told your doing this wrong...

We'll I ended up getting a web page simply because the free site I was using to post pictures pegged out quickly on bandwith and was giving the Bandwith Overlimit messages where the pictures was suppose to be. I quickly decided if I wanted to post pictures or web pages I might as well pay for better web hosting. Then after I had that one, I had to up the package again because I ran out of bandwith limit on it.. haha.. But it's still worth it to post whatever you want without all those pop up adds.

Man litch, I don't know what's got you so mad, but that probably isn't the right way to handle it. Maybe this is all a misunderstanding. I'm not really sure what the image rule has been changed to, but surely it isn't that bad is it? Or maybe I'm not understanding what the new rules are on images in post. Is it being done away with all together or only one picture a post? humm.. Seems like it's gonna force people to build web pages to post this kinda stuff. I hope that's not the case as some people can't afford to pay for one. But then again, really it's not our chose, it's the admins decision on what's best. Maybe they can come up with a compromise, hopefully something that everyone will be happy with.

It would seem to me Kevan that what is happening here is an attempt to silence those who bring no value to this forum. However, 'value' is dictated by your own conditions. So for people like me, who read the 'serious' threads about construction, finishing etc, but don't have either the expertise or experience to offer advice or tips to others will be squeezed out. What about people like Litchfield here, or Wes? These people have great knowledge which I know they pass on to others, but they also talk complete crap in the off topics sections.

Now, I don't want to take this up on a personal level and start slagging others off, but from reading and watching this forum for some time, it does appear to me that you are only too happy to close down threads that you either disagree with what is being said, or deem them to be of no value, whether or not anybody else is interested or not. I'm really sorry Kevan, I'm sure you are a nice guy with a lot of knowledge and experience, but when it comes to moderating you come across as a bit of a Nazi.

As I say, I'm sorry Kevan, I really don't want you to take this as a personal insult, nor do I really wish to engage in any arguing about it. That is my opinion and that's that.

A lot of the knowledge I have is stuff I learned here, tried, and can say it works, or was bad advice, which I have given, too.

As for the forum, there were problems, but it seems to be getting worse now, not better. We are losing long time members because of crap like this. I honestly wont be surprised if people start getting banned over small crap, but the real issues skate by. The whole Top Wood thread is a shining exaple of what I am talking about.

Yeah, but people like that will learn the hard way, and who do you think they'll come back to, saying you was right all along. Sometimes all we can do is give advice, if it's not taken, then it's not your problem if they mess up. But seriously though, if he's cutting grass all summer for cash to buy one piece of wood, and his parents lets him spend it on it, then something is majorly wrong in the first place.. lol My guess though, is that it won't be an issue in the first place, since he won't get to buy it anyway. But if he did and ruined it... I'd be the first one to laugh..

Actually when people use the IMG button to post images, the hosting of the pictures is the one who gets the bandwith hit hard. I found this out quickly. When you pay for web service you get an allocated amount of bandwith a month, if you run over then stuff shuts down. It's their way to keep things under control. But as I see it, I don't think that the IMG feature pulls any bandwith from PG at all. So I don't think that is what they are concerned with really. I think they must be just worried that it clutters up the site and makes it harder to get information waiting for all the stuff to load up on the page and scrolling down until you get to something useful. That's probably what their concern is. I actually think that some don't know how to correctly make a jpg file small enough to post. I think that anything over 60kb is overkill no matter what the picture. That's for the sake of dial-up people.

I'd like to hear the Admins' reasoning behind limiting photos in the context of a thread.

On the one hand, it seems like a really bad move that can substantially reduce the value of the forum.

On the other hand, though, not having to load a bunch of big photos every time i want to view a thread will significantly reduce the loading time for pages on the forum. (We need to remember that not everybody has broadband access.)

Posting inline images introduces two issues: 1) When the original poster takes the image down, you end up with a broken image link, which is not-so-useful if someone's looking up an older thread. 2) Loads of people don't properly resize their photos, which results in having to scroll horizontally to read anything else on the page.

I have to admit, the first time I got on this message board and saw the size of pics being posted I knew from experience that it would eventually cause bandwidth problems. I'm a member of 67-72 Chev/GMC truck message board with nearly 15,000 members. Naturally, not all those members are active posters, things would seize up mighty quick if they were. But the rules just HAD TO BE put to everyone or that enormous beast just wouldn't be able to function. You can attach files to your posts but size limit is 100kb. One feature about their system that this one lacks is the ability to delete your own posts. If you started a thread which eventually goes off topic and gets twisted and useless, (yes, it becomes a waste of space) you can delete your original post which will cause the entire thread to disappear. Its a good opportunity to help moderator(s) manage things.