Elm for guitar bodies

Hello!

We recently had 3 HUGE elm trees cut down on our property. There's got to be several tons of wood in our yard right now! Anyway, it seems like a waste just to give it all away as firewod. Could elm be used to make guitar bodies? It has a nice colour and pretty grain, too. I've heard that it's a pretty soft wood, but lots of soft woods are used in guitar making { basswood, poplar... }. If it can be used, i'll use it to make several solid or semi-hollow electric bodies. Could it be used for acoustics, too?

Please help soon before we give it all away!

Ben

Slice n dice it down to body block size's then stack it in a coner with shim's between each piece and let it air dry.

That way you'll have the opertunity to use it later when the moisture is gone and you won't freak out by building a body only to see the wood split or warp from curing.

The old lumber yard rule of thumb is 1 year for every 1" thick but with todays modern air conditioning systems (at least here in Florida) you can cut that about in half since a typical air conditioner really pull's the moisture from the air.

hey guys , im new to this site I really dig it! its very helpful!

as for the Elm i would cut it to lengths for a body and you have to take wax and melt it over the "end grain" of the blanks , this will keep the blanks from "checking" (cracking along the grain length wise). up here in PA most of the luthiers ive talked to let the wood aclimate for up to five years! in the same temp and humidity if possible. but i know i am to impatient to wait that long so i would at least give it a good year of drying. good luck with your project.

rye :D