Krylon Triple thick paint

Maiden69

Hi guys, I just got the e-mail back from Krylon were I inquired about the Triple thick clear laquer and this is their response.

"Thank you for your inquiry. The Triple Thick product is a hydro carbon resin lacquer. It dries to the touch in 15 minutes, cures in 24 hours and can be recoated anytime (chemical adhesion). We do not test this product with the Dupli Color line, so it would be necessary to perform a self-test. The product is available in aerosol cans or in a brush-on formula. "

What is hydro-carbon resin? This is the 1st time I hear of this and I will like to know what it is... if it is common to use? I got 3 cans to use it, and will be doing a test to see if it is compatible with the Duplicolor acryliks. Also I like that it can be recoated anytime like the laquers, I guess it burnes thru well.

Thanks Brian, how long did it took to fully cure and how much time did you waited before colorsanding and polishing? I'm glad that youare back, the news are not good from what I've seen. I thought that it wasn't going to be that severe! Been living with the hurracaines all my live, and when I thought that I had left them behind in texa, there were tornados to look for! Mother Nature!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is the deal on my experience with this paint.

1. It goes on cloudy on the 1st time so don't be alarmed if you can't even see the base coat after your 1st full coat.

2. I think that this paint is really soft to be used on a guitar, colorsanding was easier than sanding the primer or a sealer coat. It just came out too easy.

3. It doesn't like hot weather! I have left the guitars that I painted with duplicolor in the outside even under direct sulight and never had a problem, this one stand out side for a few hours under indirect light, I think it took direct sun for about 1 hr or more and this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01202.jpg happened. It bubbled up about 1/2" and I have a lot of places were the paint just sunked or shrinked like if it was rained on top but going down instead of up.

4. Like it is wasy to colorsand, the same can't be said about polishing. It shines to a liquid glass state, but you have a hard time getting the polish out of the paint, looks like it dries on top of it! and when you put a little more it comes right off, this never happened with any other paint that I haved ever used!

Lesson learned!

If you are using a product and get good results, stick with it! From now on I will use Duplicolor, and the only thing I will try before switching will be nitro and the water based one that Stwe Mac sells... and only on scraps.

Never try a new product on the guitar that you are making! I'm starting to save money from now to get me a little paint booth and some equipment to do poly!!!!

• 2 years later...

i didn't research the krylon triple thick glaze product thoroughly enough before using it and i had all of the negative experiences listed on here except the blistering in the sun. the first coat did go on cloudy. i was excited when it dried (or so i thought it dried) to an excellent deep, rich clear coat. my biggest issue is that the stuff just doesn't seem to dry. even after two days hanging in a 70 degree room with low humidity (close to ideal drying conditions i would think) the terrycloth pattern of the towel i laid it on to polish it was imprinted on the back of the guitar. i cleaned it up and re-sprayed it and the full dry time is yet to be seen. will repost with results after i give it a week or so to cure and let everyone know how i made out.

Edited by alex18327

Definitely give it 3 days minimum before touching the neck. You can press you thumbnail into the heel of the neck and see if it dents it any, if it doesn't, it's good to go! Also, remember that each time you re-coat it it will take that much longer to dry. Expect to give it 5-7 days now.

Definitely give it 3 days minimum before touching the neck. You can press you thumbnail into the heel of the neck and see if it dents it any, if it doesn't, it's good to go! Also, remember that each time you re-coat it it will take that much longer to dry. Expect to give it 5-7 days now.

will it get hard enough to actually offer some protection? i'm a little concerned that it just won't be tough enough to stand up to normal wear and tear-

alex

I grabbed a can of that stuff, once, to re-fin a headstock. Had nothing but problems with it, and it seemed real soft, even after days, so I quickly dropped it like a hot potato, and switched to something else. It wasn't till after that, that a fellow forum member warned me about that stuff. Still have the original can, downstairs, collecting dust.

Edited by Racer X

• 1 month later...

I know this is a late reply/response to this topic first off, so sorry about this...I used this on several guitars and have been waiting well over a month for it to harden. It has yet to do so. Everytime I pick it up, it leaves a slight finger print ot hair print from my leg. It covers and smooth sands over graphics great and offers a great shine if you can get the polish off as mentioned above (Gibson spray polish works well). WAY to hard to work with and I believe I will stick with Deft. The only thing about deft is, when using pearl paint from cans like the Testors spray Pearls (I know...model car paint???), It wrinkles the color coat. Not sure why. Anyone?

Edited by espnut2

• 3 months later...

it's comming up on six months and mine is STILL not cured. if i didn't like the work under it so much i would have stripped it off and started over months ago. at this point i have waited so long that i have all but given up on ever playing it again and it is more like a piece of modern giutar art hanging in my office. i have heard it could take a year. for me so far the work under it is worth the wiat. will updtae at the krylon hostage crisis continues.

it's comming up on six months and mine is STILL not cured. if i didn't like the work under it so much i would have stripped it off and started over months ago. at this point i have waited so long that i have all but given up on ever playing it again and it is more like a piece of modern giutar art hanging in my office. i have heard it could take a year. for me so far the work under it is worth the wiat. will updtae at the krylon hostage crisis continues.

I hear ya brother!

I used the krylon stuff on a headstock and 6 months later, its still not hardened.

With the Duplicolor clear that I used on my Rhoads V, I'm still waiting a year later for the finish to harden fully.

The only clearcoat that ever worked for me is DEFT, but nitro lacquer is not compatible with acrylic lacquers that are available as solid colors so choose your color coat wisely.

Dude, strip it and start over! Even if that stuff eventually cures hard enough to buff, it will never stand up to the kind of handling a guitar gets. It will look awful within a year. I know you're very happy with the artwork under the clear, but why can't you just redo that, too? If you did a good job once, surely you can do it again.

Guitar2005: I've used nitro over Duplicolor colors before with no problems. A barrier coat of shellac was all I needed.

Edited by fookgub

• 16 years later...