Carbon Fiber Neck Rods?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Car...rbon_Fiber.html

I bought a nice piece of birdseye maple today, to be used in a neck-through guitar. The piece warped slightly, and I had it planed to fix this a bit. How effective are these rods, what are the downsides, if any, how much heavier will they make the neck, and do I have any need for them? Thanks.

In a guitar tutorial westhemann did he used 2 carbon fiber rods, with a truss rod. I THINK he may have used eaither birdseye maple, or flame maple for the neck. How much warp is there?

There was very little, just a very slight bow. I'm just going to set a heavy object on it for a bit and see what happens.

Oh ok,,,, now I remember.. how did that guitar turn out?

The only time I don't use carbon fiber rods is in quartersawn maple, which sometimes I think even then they should be used in it also. One thing you need to really consider is that you want the carbon rods to be as close as you can get to center, or if your carving your neck, you might end up going into the rods. Which I can tell ya, will make you sick at your stomach. lol

it is still in it's unfinished state...i am starting to have a better money flow so i should be able to get back to it soon...after i finish my 7 string,which is only waiting on tuners and a couple of other odds and ends

it is still in it's unfinished state...i am starting to have a better money flow so i should be able to get back to it soon...after i finish my 7 string,which is only waiting on tuners and a couple of other odds and ends

Oh ok.. that's cool.. I know what you mean by money problems. lol.. Guitar building does cost alot no matter what anyone will tell you, but man it's fun. Can't wait to see the 7 string, what kinda tuners are you gonna use?

Oh ok.. that's cool.. I know what you mean by money problems. lol.. Guitar building does cost alot no matter what anyone will tell you, but man it's fun. Can't wait to see the 7 string, what kinda tuners are you gonna use?

gotoh minis if i remember what i ordered correctly....you will see it soon enough :D

I beleive they're about the same, although i've always thought that the 1/8x3/8 rods offer the best stiffness as they're taller, but the 0.200x1/4 rods are required if you're doing a thin neck (not as tall) , but also require the special stew mac router bit.

oh and just incase you're wondering... 18" is the only size that will fit a guitar neck.. 24" is for a baritone, or bass...

You dont need carbon fibre in maple necks. Name a big company thats doing ti standard, then show me proof they are having problems with the necks not being string enough.

Guitarfrenzy.... that wasnt my point at all, it was that birdseye can be flat or quarter sawn.

I don't believe the wood is quarter-sawn. Would you put the rods in if it weren't quarter-sawn. I want to be safe, but at the same time I don't want to drop $40 on carbon fiber and the router bit if I don't have to. :D-

You dont need carbon fibre in maple necks. Name a big company thats doing ti standard, then show me proof they are having problems with the necks not being string enough.

Guitarfrenzy.... that wasnt my point at all, it was that birdseye can be flat or quarter sawn.

Are you sure? I've been heard a number of experienced wood types (including Larry Davis I think) state quite emphatically that birdseye figure is only evident in flatsawn maple. I guess in a neck the eyes would show anyway given the profile of the neck, but on a flat board like a drop top...?

• 2 weeks later...