Big Bad Hollowbody

Go Greased Lightnin'

Man, I could see the Reverend Horton Heat playing this guitar. It makes me want to grease back my hair and go get more tattoos.

Technical specs.

I did it all! I have done everything on this guitar. I built the truss rod from Koch's book. I reinforced the neck with the same kite tubes that Myka recommended. I radiused the fretboard with a homemade radius. Designed and cut the headstock inlays. It just very satisfying to know that "Handmade" means made by my hands.

The center section is cut out to make a mono-frame. The body is three pieces sandwiched together. The top and bottom are poplar and the center is ash. The neck is three piece maple set neck with a mother-of-pearl inlay. The body and neck will use Trans Tint® orange and the headstock will be Trans Tint® black. It's going to be sweet!

Check out more images at hitoneguitars.com

semi_hollow_5.jpg

semi_hollow.jpg

semi_hollow_7.jpg

hi,

thats one great guitar!

What if you finished the top in a nice, deep translucent honey finish, and paint the underside of your pickgaurd (the surface that faces the guitar- not you) a metallic gold colour (ie, the pickguard will no longer be see-through).

I hope this scheme doesnt sound tacky; You am I's Tim Rogers 'Crockenbacker' is finished in this fashion, and it is an unbelievably beautiful instrument

kind regards,

luke

Edited by LukeR

Thanks for the responses. I have been trying to figure out how the heck to wire this thing. I finally made the F holes large enough to put the pots into. I'll will worry about final wiring after I get it finished.

As for the finish the orange isn't 100% set. I really like Luke's idea of the deep translucent honey finish. I want the grain to show through. On the pick guitar, I am thinking of using somekind of colored vinyl on the underside or frosted like the Gretsch guitars. That's still up in the air. It depends on the finish. The inlay is Mother of Pearl. My first and last one I cut of my logo. From now on I'm using pearl vinyl. I'm at least going to try it out on my next guitar.

I should have pictures up soon showing the binding, setting the neck and glueing the back on.

Also, Luke I did a search and found that Piers Crocker is the Luthier for the 'Crockenbacker', but the only picture I found was a black one that Tim plays. Let me know if you can find a picture of the honey colored one. Those are sweet instruments.

One question though: where the hell's the Bigsby?!! B):D

the man has a point...what's a "classic" styled hollowbody w/out the Bigsby?

also, i have a vote for orange, but at the same time, one for old-school green. kinda aged a bit, maybe even a "formerly blue but aged to green" look would be nice.

nice guitar man, thats great looking.  I've got a question about your login name and logo, is that pronounced high tone, or hit one? lol, i sound stupid i know, but im not sure.

It's pronounced High tone. Like Silvertone. I'm still working on making the logo a little more obvious. Maybe a hyphen would help.

Yeah do the pickguard frosted! But how will you do it?

I think you should make it something like the prs raspberry finish. Purple is always the best.

Awesome workmanship. Was ia as hard as they say it is because I want to do a hollowbody sometime this year or the next. What are some tips you can give me?

• 3 months later...

I finally finished my second guitar.

Color & Finish

I messed up the orange the first time. So, I had to sand it down and find another way to finish it. I found a spray from Mohawk call Block-IT Toner that came in orange and translucent orange. I used the Translucent orange till the can ran out. When I purchased the second can the color wasn't the same! I took it back and had to go with the regular Orange, which came out better than the translucent.

Pickguard

Not wanting to spend a lot on my pickguard, I cut a piece of plexiglass out. I was going to make the hardware, but it was pretty cheap to purchase it. I did add a frosted glitter vinyl to the back. The kind they use at sign companies. It was free from my father-in-law.

I've set it up and have been playing on it a lot. It sounds pretty good. Especially through my buddies Fender Bassman! I have some video I hope to have on my site soon.

fatboy_mock_03.jpg

fatboy_img_01

fatboy_img_02

fatboy_img_03

Check out www.hitoneguitars.com

I'm a graphic designer so I might have gone a little overboard on the site. Do you think the thongs a bit much?