Ibanez RG570 Cosmetic Overhaul

fretless6

sounds cool but i can't help asking, are you sure?? that RG you are starting with looks aweful nice, i think you might be better off buying a beat up one off the 'bay since they are dropping in price right now, cause it seems like you're going to "ruin" a great axe.

not really ruin, because that puzzle finish looks really cool, but i couldn't think of a different word for it

sounds cool but i can't help asking, are you sure??  that RG you are starting with looks aweful nice, i think you might be better off buying a beat up one off the 'bay since they are dropping in price right now, cause it seems like you're going to "ruin" a great axe.

not really ruin, because that puzzle finish looks really cool, but i couldn't think of a different word for it

It's a Japanese RG from '95. Used to have flame maple veneer, which I striped off in one of the numerous refinishes I have put this baby through :D So not much left to ruin, could always strip it back.

Btw, faux binding on this one. Gonna be a black back, so I masked part of the sides and sprayed the top white as a base coat for the artwork. Gonna leave the edges whites.

Updates!! :D

basecoat1.jpg

basecoat2.jpg

I must say it looks kinda good as it is now. Choices, choices B)

Y'know what'd look really spectacular? If the puzzle pieces had a couple pieces missing (i.e. black) randomly placed!

Also, have you considered doing metallic blue? Since you're painting by hand, you could mix custom shades of blue and do a cool fade like in the pic.

Finally, are you following the lines by hand, or masking in some way?

Painted. Decided to go without the black outline for the jigsaw blocks. Probably going to let this one have a "coarse" clearcoat, giving it sort of a canvas feel to it. B)

artwork2-03.jpg

artwork2-04.jpg

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is going to be a problem. The acrylic colors I used are water soluble. I'll be spraying clear acrylic epoxy onto this (the base coats I applied were also acrylic epoxy). I hope the paint isn't gonna dissolve into the clear coat... Also, would gold paint marker ink take nicely to the acrylic epoxy? :D

nice looks better than the above picture. very nice indeed

I'm doing a flat top, veneer Les Paul. This is my first build which explains why I'm doing a flat top veneer instead of the cool carved top. Also, again since it's my first build, binding may be beyond my skills at this point as well.

What would you think if I were to apply the veneer, then route the edge of the body, mask that and then paint it. Would give a cool binding effect or would it look odd?

Steve

I'm doing a flat top, veneer Les Paul.  This is my first build which explains why I'm doing a flat top veneer instead of the cool carved top.  Also, again since it's my first build, binding may be beyond my skills at this point as well.

What would you think if I were to apply the veneer, then route the edge of the body, mask that and then paint it.  Would give a cool binding effect or would it look odd?

Steve

That would work too B)

Anyway more updates :D

paint5-02.jpg

paint5-06.jpg

Job Done :D

complete03.jpg

complete04.jpg

Very nice work! Congratulations for a job well done.... Now, I must ask your permission to use your idea on the jigsaw puzzle looks... Can i use it?

Sure go ahead :D

I removed the screw poles first, stuffed all holes with bits of tissue paper and masked the sides with tape. Then I used a safety pin to scrap off the paint from the slug poles after each coat.

Edited by fretless6

THAT IS AMAZING, i love it. i dont really like the white pickups and knobs, but thats just me. i think it would look stunning with black pickups gold pickup mounting rings and gold knobs. i know that seems liek a bit much, but it would make it amazing. something that would be just as good would be just some gold knobs. i think it would add alot of class to the guitar. good work! i wish i had those artistic skills.

later on