my latest creation

My%20Pictures0022.jpg

well this is my newest guitar...and the world's worst pics taken with the world's worst disposable camera :D

i did not get a single good pic but i will show you what i have

7 string v

3 piece maple/honduran mahogany/maple set neck with 2 way truss rod,24 frets,and pau ferro fretboard...tilt back headstock(no scarf joint)

alder 2 piece body

original floyd rose bridge and locking nut

gotoh mini tuners

emg 81/7 pickups with mounting rings made by budman68 at frets on the net(very high quality)

3 way toggle switch

cover plates made with white scratch plate material from stewmac

acrylic white spray can paint with deft nitro clear coat

tuned B to E and it weighs 12 pounds... B)

here are the rest of the pics...i am very unhappy with the quality of them :D

http://fullservesite.com/westhemann/new%20vee/

it is a standard gibson style 3 way switch from stewmac

you'll need to rake your yard soon)

i am trying to make it die...dirt is easier to care for B)

actually i don't care for yard work...it detracts from what little time i have to build and play guitars... :D

i run over it with a riding lawnmower at high speeds every couple of weeks and that is it

Wow, verrrry nice! :D

When I made Coco, I made it 1 1/2" thick to reduce the weight some, but I know with the Floyd you had to meet the 1 3/4" requirement, or close to it.

12 lbs.

Day-yum.

:D

Very nice clean work, looks total pro! B)

PS, you can now register that thing as a certified weapon of death. :D

Very cool I love V,s and 7-strings and the combination of the two makes one sweet guitar!! :D:D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Very nice, how does it play ?

i need to tweak a few things...when i leveled the frets and recrowned them i didn't polish them enough...so they are a bit scratchy

i used .009s for the strings...on a 24 3/4" scale guitar...that is apparently fine for 6 strings,but with that low B string it is a bit floppy....i need to replace those with .010s,that should take care of that

and the neck is a bit thicker than i am used to....i may need to shave it down a bit...i want to play it for a time first though so that i can catch all of the problems with only one dissassembly

but it sounds great....

i am having a hard time figuring out what that extra string is good for though...it seems TOO low :D

Very nice work! There is no visible mistake! Seems like you really built it PERFECT!

I know how difficult it is to not rush anything and dont put a little dent in the wood somewhere, etc. Getting a defect free end product is much more trouble then one tends to think. I also like the look alot of the guitar....Only thing I hate is the idea to put a Strat jack plate on a V. But thats only me....Great work Wes! Enter it into GOTM!

i am having a hard time figuring out what that extra string is good for though...it seems TOO low

Ahh....After completing my 7-string I thought that for some days too. Believe me.....that changes fast especially if you play metal. Just get Dream Theater's "Train of Thought" and play some of the songs and you will LOVE that 7th string! Especially if you play in a band with a bass player who has a 5-string. Playing a simple riff together on the low B string on bass and guitar packs so much punch its insane....

Only thing I hate is the idea to put a Strat jack plate on a V.

yeah...but i really like the direction it sends the cable out at...i thought about recessing it into the actual v part on the lower wing (right about opposite of the bottom strap pin) but i ended up doing it this way...maybe on the next one

thanks for the kind words ,but it really is not perfect...i know where every little flaw is (mostly in the finishing) and it drives me crazy

for example...a gnat flew into the clearcoat and i didn't notice it until it was already about .5 mm under the finish :D

it is under the trem plate,but i know it is there...at least it was not something bigger...like a frog

I thought about the output jack and I was going to say that for the next one you can try something like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01128.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01127.jpg

that I did on the "Limp V" that I'm finishing now. Or you could have placed it in the same place but on the rear. It would have looked cleaner. Load up a clip to hear it. The only reason why I can't take 7 str is because my hand is short, that's why I plan on building a Baritone instead.

well i tore it back apart today...i just can't stand all the little imperfections...drak's disease is catching!

but i haven't smashed it against a wall of death...i am going to do something totally different

i have already thinned the neck down to about 7/8" at the headstock,1" at the heel...and i am stripping all of that heavy ass paint off...i can't play it because it is so heavy it hurts my back and neck...

i am going to do whatever it takes to lighten it up(except chambering...metal guitars don't have chambers :D )

probably just shave a bit of weight off with beveled edges as well....and refinish it with a much thinner coat of nitro...but not white this time...natural

Yes that was one point that I was going to bring earlier, but after seeing that the body was alder I thoguht that it was OK to paint it, but the neck would have been looked great naked. Also, did you took the body and neck apart ? that way you can plane the top of the body and add a cap!!! say hard maple to say the least or a nice Flame with the riples going the direction of the V point...WOW I just woke up must have been day dreaming !! Cool Wes, just keep us updated.