Talent Show

Curtis P

Maestro

I dont want to sound like an idiot or anything, but just because i am stubborn, it will sound like that

If i practice it, and practice it it will eventually sound right and wont be all mumbled and jumbled

so, heres what i am going to do, I am going to practice all along the watch tower until i get it right, and then record it and have everyone here rate it, if it turns out to be a good rating thats what i will use, if not, then i will go with something simple

Curtis

i like the medley idea mentioned earlier.. how about finding a cheese ball emo song, and then find an old school metallica song which is in the same key. 20 seconds in you drop the hammer and turn the amps to 11.

My amp dont go to 11 :D lol, its still loud though

Curtis

"But these here go to elevun"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously, play eruption ... its really not THAT hard, i managed it and ive been playing self taught 2 1/2 years, or black star by malmsteen , OOOH GOOD IDEA, grab a bunch of malmsteen tunes (preferrably in the same key) and make a malmsteen medley... call it far beyond the black star, malmsteen is fun to play and not too hard, its harder than just about any part of eruption... i would suggest playing black star, or if u can manage it... play some parts of no boundaries by michael angelo... i play some of that at school and blow away people like no one else at my school can... good luck once again

Edited by thrashncrust

All along the watchtower isnt that easy, i watched hendrix perform it at some hippie gig and it was a trainwreck (despite the fact he was blown out of his minds on some whacked up anphetamine). I can safely say from experience that attempting goin from something semi-challenging ala 'Seek and Destroy' to a piece by a man who revolutionized rock guitar ala Hendrix in less than a month, with practically no perform experience will be a disaster in itself.

I can guarantee wen they call your name out to go and rock out, ull be as nervous as anything, ull be obsessing over wat note goes where and your timing will wreak, so yes play something easy and nail the little b a s t a r d, because i can safely say the majority of of the listening public don't give a stuff about hendrix's guitar genius enough to appreciate very simple yet effective power chords played in a steady rhythm.

Good luck and may the spirit of rock divined by our rock-God ancestors pump through the veins of ur 6-string inclined fingers

You saw Hendrix preform all along the watchtower!!!??? :D:D:D

wich I was even born then!

If you need something the crowd loves and is easy to play take AC/DC's TNT

All along the watchtower is easier then it looks, its basicly 3 chords with an intro and 2 solo's in between!

Metallica is also a crowdpleaser :Master of puppets, seek and destroy....

whatever you take rock on!! B)

I can guarantee wen they call your name out to go and rock out, ull be as nervous as anything, ull  be obsessing over wat note goes where and your timing will wreak, so yes play something easy and nail the little b a s t a r d, because i can safely say the majority of of the listening public don't give a stuff about hendrix's guitar genius enough to appreciate very simple yet effective power chords played in a steady rhythm.

I totally agree with that line of thought. Dont get me wrong Curtis, I hope you kick ass when you get up on stage, and your getting better all the time, but your timing and dynamics still need improving, so if you step up on stage and try to play all along the watchtower, the likelyhood of something going terribly wrong is much higher B)

If you really really have your heart set on All Along the Watchtower or anythign else thats not a peice of cake, then go for it, but I still think you'd be better off picking a really solid, straight-forward tune like Enter Sandman and just totally nailing it down. If you can get really comfortable playing it with your band then come stage time, not only will you rock cause you know it inside out, but also cause its a simple song and at the end of the day, its the performance that matters on the whole, not just how intricate your guitar is, and a solid, simple song would be much easier to work into a good performance :D

Either way, make sure you keep us updated :D

PS: Also... is your singer up to all of these songs people are throwing out? I mean really, he/she has just as bigger part to play as you do, and if the singer cant sing the song well, it isnt going to mean much whether or not you do your bit well :D

It's not the question if you can play the notes that Hendrix played, it's the question can you put the emotion he does into it. Hendrix played with alot of emotion, if you can match that then I say go for it. I would recommend playing something like "Fire" by Hendrix though, simply because there is alot of changes in All Along The Watchtower. You have a straight guitar part, then a slide part, and also a wah wah part. To do that live you better have each part nailed and the transition perfect or things might get ugly if you get nervous and forget. I agree with Mastero, It's alot better to play an easy song and do it right, than to try to pull off the harder song and botch it up. Most of your audience won't know how techincally hard a song is, but they will know if you mess up bad. I say go for it if you can really pull it off in your sleep, but if not, go with something easier and equally as good.

2 friends and I played "Seasons in the Abyss" in our high school talent show about 10 years ago. They stuck us right in between a girl doing a Mariah Carey song, and a couple kids doing a freestyle rap tune. While I'm sure no one actually cared for the music, we got a huge reaction from the audience - and got repremanded pretty hard by the administration.

I did all of the vocals and guitars... on an Epiphone Tele... through a Fender Champ. I hand-painted a devil's head on the body of the tele with watercolors to make it look more evil! We trashed the school drumkit at the end of the song, and I demolished the Champ (should'nt have done that) with a mic stand. It was so good, they actually cut it out of the school's video of the show. Luckily, I still have a copy that a friend shot from the balcony.

2 friends and I played "Seasons in the Abyss" in our high school talent show about 10 years ago. They stuck us right in between a girl doing a Mariah Carey song, and a couple kids doing a freestyle rap tune. While I'm sure no one actually cared for the music, we got a huge reaction from the audience - and got repremanded pretty hard by the administration.

I did all of the vocals and guitars... on an Epiphone Tele... through a Fender Champ. I hand-painted a devil's head on the body of the tele with watercolors to make it look more evil! We trashed the school drumkit at the end of the song, and I demolished the Champ (should'nt have done that) with a mic stand. It was so good, they actually cut it out of the school's video of the show. Luckily, I still have a copy that a friend shot from the balcony.

Yea, i got a neck and body that is worthless, so its hendrix style, smash it and light it on fire :D

Curtis

I think All Along The Watchtower's a good choice, as long as the schmoes at your school have a clue about who Hendrix is. :D Nobody says you have to do it note for note... just nail the chord progression, and widdle away at whatever ability level you've reached now, if you get to take a solo--

A few things to consider:

- if it's ONLY going to be you and a drummer, and nobody singing, then a solo will sound rather empty indeed

- Nail the chords and the rhythm, and lock with your drummer (who is hopefully at least mediocre!) and you'll rock out.

- If you do the Hendrix, at least you can try the singing, cause let's face it-- Hendrix sang completely out of key most of the time.

- If there's no vocals, do a SHORTER version... chop out and modify bits and pieces. Nobody wants to hear just a guitarist and a drummer for 5 minutes unless they're mind-blowing.

Greg

Ok

Talked to the music teacher how is organizing it, each band get to play 2 songs, so, we are doing Seek and Destroy (full version) and an orignal, something I have been workin away at

Dont worry, I will post in a few days so you can "judge" it and tell me if its "mediocre" (sorry Greg, had to use a new word!)

Curtis

I dont know if you care for the Foo Fighters at all, but i think they would be good at a talent show. Easy riffs and they sound cool if you can hit Dave's sound. I know i can, i played Monkey Wrench and Learn To Fly at the talent show at my school and it was cool, everyone liked it.

And the drums and bass isnt that hard to learn either!

I also like SkiBums idea of Wrathchild by Iron Madien...that song rules :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

Actually, the RR that I built, now that its royally screwed, there is no hardware or nothing on it, the fretboard was removed (bout 2 hours of pickin away at it,) and the truss rod is out, the FB has been duct taped yes, you read right, duct taped back on and I will be thoroughley destroying, burning, and , cough urinating, cough all over it this weekend or next, just before the snow flies

Ohh, and I will be getting it on film and at the talent show, we are going to have the big white screen down and have that video playing while we play our songs,

ohh yea!!

Will be recording tonight, possibly uploading tommorow night or tonight

Curtis

forget every other suggestion heres the ultimate cover song

queen- innuendo

you best have some talent boy, but if you play it and play it good, youll win, i can pretty much guarantee it.. that song is all about talent... all about it

edit watch the language please...this is a clean forum

i wood play jamiroquai coz they groove hard, and its all about getting down. For 1 Jamiroquai is pop based so it will appeal to the masses however jamiroquai does have alot of musical theory in terms of its jazz/funk based roots so ull need to be tight with your rhythm and have a sweet vocal section, secondly chicks will dig it, i mean who doesnt luv a sweet baseline that just grooves, u can chill out to it. Secondly metal at talent quests is so cliche' not many ppl can funk it up, and if it was me i wood funk it jaykay style and add alan holdsworth fusion runs to get u the browney points with both the chicks and also these stupid metal shredders who's repotoire only extends beyond kirk hammet

i wood play jamiroquai coz they groove hard, and its all about getting down. For 1 Jamiroquai is pop based so it will appeal to the masses however jamiroquai does have alot of musical theory in terms of its jazz/funk based roots so ull need to be tight with your rhythm and have a sweet vocal section, secondly chicks will dig it, i mean who doesnt luv a sweet baseline that just grooves, u can chill out to it. Secondly metal at talent quests is so cliche' not many ppl can funk it up, and if it was me i wood funk it jaykay style and add alan holdsworth fusion runs to get u the browney points with both the chicks and also these stupid metal shredders who's repotoire only extends beyond kirk hammet

whu? B):D

yeah you are right...metal is SOOO much more cliche than "popular" music

oh wait...no it's not :D

@ChrisDee: You sír have no clue. I myself studied guitar at the german version of GIT. I had famous Metal teachers as well as Jazz teachers. I play in several Bands: A Jazz band, a metal band and a cover band. So I know and love both styles....Granted there is metal that is simple in terms of music theory, but there is much more to metal than kirk hammet solos. Metal, especially Progressive Metal has grown to one of the most complex music forms. Just listen to John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Van Halen, George Lynch....They are many metal guitarists that play at least as complex in terms of harmony/music theory than any famous jazz guitarist. And using jamiroquai as an example is especially wrong. While I like them, they definately make very simple music in comparison to many metal Bands like Dream Theater, the aforementioned guitar players and even death metal bands like Death, Meshugga, etc....

I have nothing against people preffering other musical styles, but I hate people discriminating other musical styles than their own without knowing what they are talking about.....Listen to some good metal or Jazz/Fusion bands and learn about some bands that make challenging/complex music and not easy-listening style like jamiroquai.....