my first guitar

albertop

Hello all, finally I´ve finished my first guitar, is a LP copy and and it took me way long time to complete it, mostly because I could only work in it on christmas vacation (it took me almost two years). The interesting thing is that is a hollow guitar due a back problem I have. I made it like a sandwich, it has three pieces of mahogany. the fretboard is rosewood and mother of pearl. The hardware is nickel and the humbuckers are Dimarzio PAF Classics. Hope you like it and hope to hear your opinions (have mercy please!!!! :D )

DSC00744.jpg

is that realy your first guitar? :D

if so you must have a real gift my firt looked like sh$#%@t :D but it had a deadly sound. :D great gob very clean cool guitar I love it B) any progres pics?

!!METALL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Thanks a lot MetalMatt, it´s my first one and it took my way too long time, The funny thing is that my second (a neckthrough SG) took me 2 months and the third one (a Tele style) just a week! (without the painting of course). I´m really proud of this one, I´m hoping next week post some pics of the SG.

Man, that thing is truly one class act! It's got the whole black and chrome "I'm slick and I know it" look, and the BMW coupe with tinted windows and chrome rims kind of understated style to it. I must say, that is one of the nicest guitars I've seen in a -long- time! :D

my only suggestion would be to go with chrome hardware instead of nickel. The "coldness" and brightness of the chrome (as opposed to the slightly warmer nickel) would accent the dark, shiny black a little better. However, that's all a matter of personal taste, and the nickel gives it a warmer, more "approachable" look to it. With chrome, it would approach way to cool to play (that's a good thing in my book!)

[edit] I also would have gone with a black headstock and custom logo, but again, that's just me![/edit]

[edit--again] I also would have gone with standard cylindrical speed knobs, but again again, that's just me [/edit--again]

Edited by skibum5545

my only suggestion would be to go with chrome hardware instead of nickel. The "coldness" and brightness of the chrome (as opposed to the slightly warmer nickel) would accent the dark, shiny black a little better.

what i was gonna say. i love the cold blue tint of chrome. granted that guitar is still amazing with nickel. nice work.

I have a set of chrome harware, maybe I can take them out from the SG and put it here. I thought that the headstock would be darker but live and learn. Either way it doesn´t bother me. The paint is nitrocellulose, several coats to cover imperfections. looks cool doesn´t it?

That SG sounds realy cool I would love to see it and one more time I must say it agan!!NICE WORK!! I would like to see some progress pics if you have any?

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks everybody, Guitarmaestro I didn´t paint it by myself, a friend of mine that does in my opinion the best guitars in my country helped me, he showed me how he paints his guitars. The neck has the same finish than the body, is nitro. I´m planning in putting a little plaque on the headstock with a logo or my name, but that will have to wait a little bit.

I searched for in progress pics but at that time I didn´t have a camera so I just have one pic:

lp10.jpg

Hope this would give you an idea MetalMike.

I´m really glad that all of you like it, it worths the effort of spending a lot of time trying to get everything right, I´m really proud of this one.

Thats !!METAL MATT!! but thats ok any way thanks for the pics very clean work nicely done :D any SG pics

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Sorry !!METAL MATT!!, I guess I got a little carried away....

I don´t have any in progress pics of my SG, but it took me a lot less too build it than this one, the SG took me about two months and you need to carefully draw your plans full size. I use the plans from guitarbuild.com but I modified it a little bit, mostly the body shape. I reduced the body width because it looked a little wide. I gladly give you any info Camsna, my email is albertopatino21@yahoo.com, ask anything. I have measures and some pics and I will be happy to share them.

Edited by albertop

• 2 years later...

Smokin'! I can only echo the compliments already given here. Great work!

A pair of questions:

1. Why are the pickups so deep into the mounting rings? Or is it that the pickups are the right height and the mounting rings need to be "lowered" (sandpaper, a flat surface, and a scraper to touch up the "wooly" edges left by sanding will do it)?

2. Was it a conscious choice to wrap the strings around the tailpiece? I know Zakk Wylde does that, but I've always thought that the wear and tear on the tailpiece doesn't justify any perceived differences in tone or appearance. That's just me, though.

Greg

Smokin'! I can only echo the compliments already given here. Great work!

A pair of questions:

1. Why are the pickups so deep into the mounting rings? Or is it that the pickups are the right height and the mounting rings need to be "lowered" (sandpaper, a flat surface, and a scraper to touch up the "wooly" edges left by sanding will do it)?

2. Was it a conscious choice to wrap the strings around the tailpiece? I know Zakk Wylde does that, but I've always thought that the wear and tear on the tailpiece doesn't justify any perceived differences in tone or appearance. That's just me, though.

Greg

Psssst ... this thread is 2 1/2 years old ... :D

What the hell?

The ONLY button I ever use is "View New Posts"... there's something broken with the forum. :D Why on earth would it appear in my new posts list?