A Few Pics Of My Almost Finished Lp

I should wait until it's finished, but...well...

Some specs:

one piece sapele body

plain maple top, quartersawn, bookmatched by hand (ouch)

very light mahogany neck, 3-piece, maple headstock veneer

ebony fboard

XL neck tennon

hot rod

2 x P90 by WSC

diamond inlayed on headstock, hand-cut shell I bought on vacation, 3 eur a piece :D

Still have to taper the neck, radius the fboard, do the frets, cut the rest of the inlay stuff etc...

Intended finish is faded honeyburst, nitro.

More pics soon!

LP37.jpg

Thanks guys!

Luke: yes, I'm a big fan of P-90s, they have the thicker tone and the single coil bite, just right :D

I was thinking of doing the gold top, even got the gold for it B), but decided to try some sort of a burst - what I have in mind is closer to teaburst then honey, but we'll see if I can pull that off...

Next one will be a goldtop for sure, perhaps with some mini hums if I can dig a few up.

I should have mentioned this in the previous post, but better late then never - BIG THANKS to Mr. John Catto for great LP templates and explaining the top angles!!!!!

Some more pics:

LP34.jpg

...and one more!

The neck is not glued at this point, that was just test-fitting. And yes, I WILL clean up the shop...eventually :D

LP39.jpg

BTW, all binding is hand cut strips of ABS, sourced from places that pre-cut MDF and such, and also do the binding of those pieces - I got a few meters of it for just a few $, and it's 2mm thick and 18mm wide. Body strips are acetoned, and fboard and headstock are CA'd.

BR

Goran

Hey, very nice LP!!

Now, I gotta pick your brain as I am starting to build one :D

How did you do your carve? I was going to do mine with a router, stair step style then sand it all, I dont really want to use a chisel and rasps and all, as i dont trust myself that much

Any tips or anything? Mine will be a bolt on neck, not a set so just anything with the body will be great!!

Thanks!

Curtis

Bill - thats just it - I didn't taper the neck blank as yet, because that gives me 2 parallel surfaces to use with my vise, and also prevents marring. When I do everything else, I'll cut off the excess and then shape the neck.

Curtis - click on the second line of my sig and you'll find a lot more photos of the same guitar.

I carve the bulk of the top using a router held in a home made holder (also on those pics), by sliding the material under it. By placing strips of MDF of right thickness under the body, I can route 3 main planes of the top, then route a 1' wide "road" almost all the way around the body (BUT NOT ALL THE WAY, CHECK PICS), leaving desired thicknes of the maple top.

If you want, you can route some more steps on the top, but I take it by hand from there, with 10mm Ibex and scrapers - on this top there was no sanding so far. I also added a slight recurve. You can check your carving by using shadow and some cardboard templates...

BR

Goran

Nouseforone: Yes, it will have the standard hardware. Neck pocket is angled to be paralel (sp?) with the neck angle planed onto the top.

If this sounds clumsy, just click on the second line of my sig and see all the photos.

Basically, you plane the neck angle on the top and then use that as a base for your router. You need to draw the side wiev.

Maiden: thanks! Yes, it still needs a lot of sanding, but not too much, as I'm going with the flatter top, like on the old 'bursts.

More pics soon, I was hoping to do the frets today, even made a caul for pressing them in (didn't try that before), but my day job got in way ...

Thanks Setch! Glad you like it! Your LP tutorial was a major inspiration, and helped in many ways.

I still have to finish shapeing the neck, glue it in, drill the jack cavity and route for back covers, then it's sanding. I'll use filler for back and sides. Still wondering how far to go with sanding paper - 600, 800?

I was thinking about sealing the wood with nitro, then some very weak coloured coats (yellow, perhaps a drop of red or brown, will have to test on scrap), applying a few more coats around, rather than adding darker stain - I hope it will give that faded look. Any ideas? Then clear, etc... It will be sprayed, I haven't tested my HVLP yet.

Cheers,

Goran