Soloway Guitars?

Hi guys,

Whats the go with the tuners on that thing? Even all but the very cheapest tuners are covered- these ones LOOK expensive, but dust is certain to get in them and create havoc. I mean, they look nice, but its got to cause a problem- especially over a number of years.

Anyone know what they are, or have dealt with them before?

Luke

Hi guys,

Whats the go with the tuners on that thing? Even all but the very cheapest tuners are covered- these ones LOOK expensive, but dust is certain to get in them and create havoc. I mean, they look nice, but its got to cause a problem- especially over a number of years.

Anyone know what they are, or have dealt with them before?

Luke

They look like something Hipshot might come up with.

Jim Soloway makes some great guitars from what I hear - sometimes he visits and sells them on Jemsite. All of his guitars are 27" scale length, and he makes 6 and 7 stringers. He has a lot of details on his site, HERE

by the way, those tuners are locking sperzels. I was looking into some of them since one of my guitars has junk tuners, then I saw those on one of his guitars and checked them out. I think you can get them here

yea anyone here do a 26 or 27 inch scale guitar?  Have though about it...  Now that I have a set of calipers... is there that huge of a difference?

I'm doing a 26.5" scale, akin to the Schecter C1EX. Not sure what difference it makes having a longer scale, but I believe you can tune the strings lower. Never too low I always say! :D

yea anyone here do a 26 or 27 inch scale guitar? Have though about it... Now that I have a set of calipers... is there that huge of a difference?

Building a 27.5" scale, seven string, with an EMG 707, through neck, etc etc etc. Havent started it yet (start on monday), but it will be ready for the band's gigs starting on Nov 5th.

I may be wrong, but i don't think Jim is actually building them himself. He's a top-notch jazz player and found the extended scale was perfect for his 7-string work, but playing dinner clubs with an RG 7421XL was a little odd. So he designed the Swan series to meet his needs, and he invested a lot of his own money to tool up for production, which i think he's partnered with somebody on.

More info at http://www.jimsoloway.com

I just came across a link to this thread while doing some maintenance on my website. I'm glad everyone seem to like what we're doing.

The guitars are actually made by a small team of people. That's why I always refer to the operation as "we". I designed everything and I make all of the critical decisions, but I have also surrounded myself with people with far greater skills than mine. The most important of those is Todd Mylet, one of the finest and most well rounded luthiers I have ever known and a geniune wizard with fine detail work. Beyond the design, the wood selection, the finacing and marketing, probably the single most important part that I play is in cracking the whip on quality control. Nothing goes out until I'm satisfied that it's absolutely the best we can do.

As for the 27 inch scale length, Darren is partly (mostly?) right about my experiences with the 7421XL. I've been playing 7-string for years and was really unhappy with the performance of the low string on a standard scale length. I started looking for anything with a longer scale length and was able to try several, most high end and hand made. The 7421XL at 27 inches was the one that worked the best and while it was not ideal for the music I played, it did a pretty good job. When I designed our guitars I kept both the scale length and the neck shape from the Ibanez but I adapted it to a guitar that has a much stronger acoustic voice which I think translates really well when it's amplified. But it was not until I got the Swan actually functioning that I realized the full impact of the longer scale length.

The extra length is really not nearly as obvious to the hands as it is to the ears. Tuned to standard pitch, the 27-inch scale length is like comparing a full size grand piano to an upright and not just for a 7-string. The effect on a 6-string is really stunning. The clarity and articulation are amazing. The notes just seem to jump off the strings. And it doesn't really matter if you're playing quiet jazz or high gain rock. The effect is the same.

BTW, the tuners are indeed Sperzel Sound Lock open backs. I chose them because they cut down the weight on the peg head dramatically. I hate guitars that are heavy and I especially hate guitars that are head-heavy. Building a guitar with a long scale length that is both light weight and well balanced is a challenge and requires a lot specific design decisions of which the tuners were just one of many. But it's worked out pretty well. Our basic 6-string model only weighs 6lbs and balances really well.

Once again, thanks for posting the link and thanks for taking an interest in our guitars.

Edited by Jim Soloway

Tuned to standard pitch, the 27-inch scale length is like comparing a full size grand piano to an upright and not just for a 7-string. The effect on a 6-string is really stunning. The clarity and articulation are amazing. The notes just seem to jump off the strings. And it doesn't really matter if you're playing quiet jazz or high gain rock. The effect is the same.

i like the sound of what you are talking about...i usually keep to a short scale to keep the string tension down for ease of bending...but it does seem to sacrifice some depth of tone(to me anyway)

I hate guitars that are heavy and I especially hate guitars that are head-heavy.

glad to hear it.that is something i always think about when building and something i can't stand about some of the high end production guitars(bc rich virgin with the widow headstock for example)

anyway i hope you choose to come around from time to time and share some ideas.