Neck Thru Progress

Here is my progress so far. It's not much, but I'm to the point that I want some opinions about the maple cap. Here's the link to my previous thread.

Previous thread

I routed the electronics cavity.

elec_cutout2.jpg

The cap glued on. It's 1/2 inch thick and I did a shallow transition - like an Ibanez S and left a 3/16 inch natural binding. The problem is that it doesn't seem to show the carve at all. It's not outrageous or anything, but I wondered how I might accentuate it. Any suggestions?

topcarve2.jpg

Top wet

topwet.jpg

Most carved tops I've seen come to crests at high points along the horns (PRS, Schecter) or come to a flat edge along the edge (LP), doing an S curve cross-section. Either technique gives a variety in the curve rather than a pure dome-like curve that accents the carving nicely. Yours would look good IMHO with a combination of the two. Even some deep carving in the cutaways (a la PRS) would accent the shape and curves, even/especially if it went through to the mahogany.

Most carved tops I've seen come to crests at high points along the horns (PRS, Schecter) or come to a flat edge along the edge (LP), doing an S curve cross-section. Either technique gives a variety in the curve rather than a pure dome-like curve that accents the carving nicely. Yours would look good IMHO with a combination of the two. Even some deep carving in the cutaways (a la PRS) would accent the shape and curves, even/especially if it went through to the mahogany.

Yeah, I've seen some people rout a 'rebate' along the entire edge of the guitar- about 1/2 inch wide or so and then transition from there. I think that's what I'll do. I don't think I'd feel comfortable carving through into the mahogany, though! :D

Nice progress, one tip for next time... do a search of your threads and post the progress on the original thread, that way the new people that are here can see all the hard work you have put into that guitar, ...and we can look at the beautiful neck that you just covered once again! :D ...just kiddin' nice job!

Nice progress, one tip for next time... do a search of your threads and post the progress on the original thread, that way the new people that are here can see all the hard work you have put into that guitar, ...and we can look at the beautiful neck that you just covered once again! :D  ...just kiddin' nice job!

Can I ask one of the moderators to move it and just append my previous thread?

Wow.. really amazing work..

your process give me many help.. my new Ibanez Jem Copy( Rosewood Thruneck)

i will make thruneck & use top..

thank to your process..

You're doing your neck through just how I'm gonna do mine in December. Complete the neck, then glue the wings on. Neck thru's kinda get a bad rap cause alot of people think you have to have the neck glued to the body to do the neck, but it's just not true. Looks amazing for your first one, just incredible.