Cud's Project Guitar

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay, I'm just filling the mahogany. The two wash coats were applied so that I could highlight the figure in the wood. You dye, then sand back the dye from the surface. The dye that settle in the grain remains there. Then when you apply your final color coat of dye, the figure is darker than usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Man GOOD WORK!! :D

That guitar just looks so Tight And I love the blue It reminds me of the blue jackson Phil Collen's Sig guitar's!!

I cant wait to see it with all it parts On!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

This weekend I sanded and then applied the 3rd coat of sanding sealer. I'm going to put on one more to get it perfectly sealed and leveled. The 3rd coat could have been the last but I layed it flat a little too soon and got a small indent on the soft sealer. I couldn't sand it out so I need another coat to finish it.

I've used about 1 full can already. I believe this is more than usual but I do have mahogany cavity covers to seal and the first two coats just didn't seal as well as I'd have liked.

When the sanding sealer is finished, I'll post some pics.

This weekend I sanded and then applied the 3rd coat of sanding sealer.  I'm going to put on one more to get it perfectly sealed and leveled.  The 3rd coat could have been the last but I layed it flat a little too soon and got a small indent on the soft sealer.  I couldn't sand it out so I need another coat to finish it.

I've used about 1 full can already.  I believe this is more than usual but I do have mahogany cavity covers to seal and the first two coats just didn't seal as well as I'd have liked.

Oh man, your first guitar? Thats looking awesome! Work of art, seriously.

Something tells me mine wont be in the same league :D

This weekend I sanded and then applied the 3rd coat of sanding sealer.  I'm going to put on one more to get it perfectly sealed and leveled.  The 3rd coat could have been the last but I layed it flat a little too soon and got a small indent on the soft sealer.  I couldn't sand it out so I need another coat to finish it.

I've used about 1 full can already.  I believe this is more than usual but I do have mahogany cavity covers to seal and the first two coats just didn't seal as well as I'd have liked.

1 can is not so bad. I used 2 1/2 cans on the wenge guitar I'm doing. The grain on wenge is really hard too fill as it's very open. Even after the grain filler I still had too use alot of sanding sealer too make it so it has a flat surface. Right now It's just sitting there curing. In a week or so I will put everything together.

Yours really is looking great for a first guitar. My first was not so great. But I'm fixing that. It's sitting here beside me right now with no finish and a diffren't fingerboard

good luck. I hope your guitar plays awesome when you finish it :D

Guess what? Today I test fitted the bridge and neck for the first time! Yeah I know. Until today, I didn't know if my string alignment from nut to saddle was good or not. Well now I do but it was touch and go for a while. The pic shows the sealed body sanded to 400. I'm ready to shoot clear nitro now.

test_fit_bridge_strings2.JPG

You're a gentleman, Drak. Thank you!

That shade is Homestead's Transfast water soluble Turquoise Blue. It looks greener on the Mahogany so there's a nice, although completely accidental, color change from front to back.

Thanks again, Drak. You're comments mean alot to me.

Dave

I'm already worried that my neck isn't straight and that it won't line up with my body. <laff>

I don't know how you guys do such clean work. Awesome.

Greg

I'm already worried that my neck isn't straight and that it won't line up with my body.  <laff>

I don't know how you guys do such clean work.  Awesome.

Greg

I always do the neck pocket first than work off that too make sure everything lines up. Sure if I do need too shift stuff around it will look like crap but at least it will play.

I'm already worried that my neck isn't straight and that it won't line up with my body.  <laff>

I don't know how you guys do such clean work.  Awesome.

Greg

I always do the neck pocket first than work off that too make sure everything lines up. Sure if I do need too shift stuff around it will look like crap but at least it will play.

That's how I did it Godin so I was fairly confident that it would be OK. Still it feels much better knowing for sure.

Dave

I could've sworn most people recommend making the neck and THEN the pocket, but as long as you end up with a player, power to you. :D

Greg