Just Messing Around

I found this nice piece of sapele. looked really nice I figure I would try it out.

anyway its a semi holow body that is in the shape of a smaller strat 12 inches wide, with a tele config.

used tru oil with a wax finish its actually really nice.

The shape is not perfect. I kinda compressed the shape so the neck pocket is smaller than it should be.

oh well goin to ebay so someone else can mess around with it...

really wanted to see what tru oil lookes like waxed an all that.

HPIM0555.JPG

HPIM0556.JPG

obviously, they look horribile.

xebryusguitars, I feel sorry for ya. that body may have a good finish, but it really isnt worth much.

Big D, you go off on rants about Ebay scams, and then you admit you botched a body, and mention you plan to sell it on the bay?? Hold the phone. If you want to talk ethics, show some yourself.

Let's not get bitchy now ladies. Granted the routes are significantly short of perfect (as have quite a few of your's been), particularly the neck pocket, but that's no reason not to offer it on ebay. It's not like it's sight unseen. Caveat emptor and all that...

Besides, until some pics of Gothfiend's custom neck surface I'd say you're still very much in the glass house, so you might want to hold fire with the stones.... it's been what, six months now?

So, assuming that im getting this body, i wouldnt recieve it if i didnt buy it, i dont see much wrong with the pickup routing cause its a strat thats gonna have a pickguard over it, and if it is a little small, than ill just fix that up. But I dont know why you're talking about ethics due to the fact I wouldve bought it. Luckily bigd has offered better than that :D

i dont see much wrong with the pickup routing cause its a strat thats gonna have a pickguard over it

A suggestion: don't use a pickguard!

That's some really nice looking sapele. I'd just use a tele bridge and plate for the bridge pickup, a mounting ring in the middle for the humbucker, and a mounting ring for the neck single-coil. Route the controls in from the back and you'll have a nice looking guitar.

Good luck recarving the neck pocket.

That bottom pup pocket don't look too bad, if you insist on using a single just make a custom ring if not I think that you can re-route for a hum w/ring and it should be enough. The only concern is the neck pocket, becareful when rerouting this I think it will be tricky to get it righ.

Call me crazy, but what I would do on this is get 2 strips of walnut, figured sapele, padauk, wenge, ebony, anything that will look good and compliment the wood and carefuly cut 2 1/2-3/4" strips on bothsides of the bodygoing lenght wise and make it look like a laminate body, that way you can correct the pocket and pups routing on one shot.

Hmmm i dunno what i can do, because i cant really put a pickguard on that because they dont make pickguard for anything like that and i dont wanna route it out more and get a pickguard blank and bevel bit. I dunno about putting on a tele bridge cause its supposed to look like a strat not a hondo deluxe series 66 (yeah you're probably lost on this one, my friend gave me one and its like a combination of mini strat/tele and crack put all together. Ill post pics soon. Well hopefully i can get this problem solved

You're going to think I'm being a mean-spirited prick probably, but after reading your posts, it sounds like you don't really have the ability to do much at all to that body, and if that's the case, that body is not for you, it might be better suited to someone who has more ability to modify it to their needs and you buy a pre-made body that is already finished and there's nothing wrong with it.

Just an observation.

I mean, what can you do? It sounds like you don't want to do much of anything at all, or don't have the ability to do much to it. Either case, a body that needs work would not be the proper choice for you, and maybe someone else here would like the opportunity to have that body who CAN modify it properly.

I'm not dogging you if you don't, but why do you want a body that needs work if you can't do the work?

I'm just being realistic here.

Im sorry..im not really trying to bitch, its just first of all i cant change whats done to the body and i was just asking for open suggestions. and also it was mostly a gift from big d so if incase i do mess up, i would feel guilty due to it mostly not being my work. I thought this was a forum open for discussion....thats basically what i was trying to do. I havnt done much router work in my life and I wanted to plan before i did anything i would regret. Sorry for lecturing and stuff, i just thought it was a little out of line. Im just trying to plan because of what I have to work with on this body.

Edited by xebryusguitars

Dude, the reason why Drak posted that is because every advise given to you the answer has been huh, I don't know.... Just take the body once you get it to the local cabinet place and tell them to dado 2 slots from top to bottom about 1/2 " then tell them to inlay 2 stripes of walnut or mahogany, they should have plenty, take it home clean the routings for what ever Pups you will use and fix the neck pocket. that's it, if you can't do that, since you mentioned that you are about 40 min from PRS, that means that you are close to me, just leave the body close to the trash can (let me know in advance) and I will go by and get it! :D

Yeah, I wasn't trying to dog you or be negative or anything like that, I was just stating what seemed to be obvious facts.

Why buy something you can't do anything with, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

It would seem to me that you just looked at the eye candy part and are not looking any deeper than that.

That's like buying a hot sexy 2-seater Lamborghini when you have 6 kids and a wife and are on a baseball team and normally transport half the team to games, know what I'm saying?

Nothing you've said is wrong or bitchy at all, I'm just looking at the 'real deal underneath.

Let me put forth an example of what I mean...

Say I see a -tremendous- piece of wood that would make a top that would just -slay- people that's going for cheap. Normally $200.00, but I can get it for $25.00 for whatever reason.

OK.

But following that:

I need a neck ($200.)

I need hardware ($200.)

I need finishing accessories ($100.00)

I need pkps ($100.00)

I need 6 months to build and finish it

Now say I've just bought a new house, have a car payment, insurance payments, other bills, and I just got laid off from work.

Does that initial $25.00 steal deal -still- seem like a good decision based on the other surrounding mitigating factors?

To me it doesn't.

That's what I mean.

To me, it seems you just saw the eye candy and made a decision based on that alone and haven't considered the necessary work that it's going to need as a followup that would make that body unsuitable for you.

You might be better off spending your money on something that suits you more, a body that's already done and ready to go.

That was my only point, and I could be wrong, maybe you DO have the ability to work it up, but maybe you don't and someone else does.

alright i see what you're saying drak, that whole lambo put it in perspective. you're just saying i bought it too soon without even knowing what i wanna do with it. I guess you're kinda right, it WAS indeed sorta an impulse buy. I had just bought wood off of ebay and 2 templates and 10 minutes later he asked if i wanted to buy it so i just did it. hopefully i get a feeling of what to do. sorry again drak