In Progress: Neck Through Explorer

ragman

Hi,

i am from germany, so please do not laugh about my english.

Its my first attempt at building an intrument. I decided to post some pictures of the progress. I will update it weekly. I hope you will enjoy it.

I like James Hetfield´s Ken Lawrence explorer, so my guitar is a replica of it. Here is a cad drawing of it.

PICT0001.jpg

This is a piece of Sipo Mahogany. I will use it for the body.

PICT0002.jpg

My friend made a chalk drawing of the body, so we can saw it broadly with the pad saw.

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

Here are the selfmade templates, which we need for the shaping.

PICT0006.jpg

Shaping the body...

PICT0008.jpg

Here you can see how the guitar will look after glueing. It will be a neck through construction. The neck is a Jatoba one piece and the body is mahogany. The fingerboard is brasilian rosewood. The Head will also be made of mahogany. Next week.

PICT0009.jpg

greets from germany :DB):D

Man, this is going to be one gorgeous guitar! Excellent choice of woods, by the way.

My concern is the same as Wes': what are you going to do about angling the neck for a Tune-o-matic bridge? You could recess the bridge, or you could use a different bridge.... Anyway, just wondering if you've considered that.

Also, one other question: what are you doing for the finish? With such gorgeous wood, I hope you've considered doing a clear finish.

What do you mean with a t.o.m, Westhemann? B)

I am from Aachen in the west of germany.

The templates are a chipboard, that you can sand easily. The sqare hole in the neck was just sawn off. Now it is a straight bottom. I have considered both possibilities. I will not angle the neck but recess the bridge, because i like those neck constellation and it is easier to build. You are right, skibum5554. Because I spent a long time on choosing the woods, I am going to give it a clear finish, or at least a trasparent finish with a litle colour touch like brown or red. I will test the finishes later.

If you are interrested: Here is a comparison to the original gibson shape of the explorer. The white paper templates show my explorer shaping, which i have designed. How do you like it?

Arbeitstag1_10.jpg

At the End the guitar could look like this:

Arbeitstag1_11.jpg

:D

What do you mean with a t.o.m, Westhemann?

tune o matic bridge...i can see in those pictures that is what you have...usually on an explorer it requires a neck angle...but you can recess the bridge like you plan on doing...but personally i think recessing an explorer bridge is not nearly as proffesional as using a neck angle...

but if that is what you want,go ahead....it is just that the extra height of the t.o.m. on an explorer enhances the playability by giving you a more comfortable picking position

Yeah, tom's are like what gibson les paul's have. The 2 piece bridge system. Are you going to do a natural finish?? I noticed the 2 wings are different colored.....

Your english is fine. In fact, it's better than most american's........

You don't happen to know Darryl Summers do you... an ageing Australian ex-TV show host? I think you two get your jumpers from the same place :D

hahah

Seriously though, you picked an awesome guitar to make, I absolutely can't wait to see your guitar completed. Good luck! :D

- Dan

Also, one other question: what are you doing for the finish? With such gorgeous wood, I hope you've considered doing a clear finish.

lol, I just have to say this; but I don't think i've ever seen you suggest anything but a clear finish, or think a peice of wood is anything but too beautiful for a clear finish :D Nothing wrong with that of course, I just had to mention that. Nothing like a bit of oiled Basswood :D

B)

lol, I just have to say this; but I don't think i've ever seen you suggest anything but a clear finish, or think a peice of wood is anything but too beautiful for a clear finish :D

B)

it's straight grained mahogany,for pete's sake! :D

slap some paint on it...cover up that wood.

Well, excuse me for finding beauty in nature rather than in a factory. :D

No, seriously. Jatoba and nice, iridescent mahogany don't deserve black paint. Alder, basswood, poplar I can understand. Even ash if you can still show off the grain (Voodoo, anyone?) But seeing mahogany and Jatoba painted would just make me sad.

But hell, if you like it black just like every other goth explorer on the market, go for it. I just like seeing beautiful woods made into original-looking custom guitars.

First of all: Thank you for all your possitive comments and suggestions. I am very happy about it :D . Ok, next step!

Because we noticed, we made a mistake at sawing the body, we had to laminate a piece of wood into the neck. I want the neck become thinner from the bottom of the body to the saddle, not just from the border crossing of body and neck. I hope you understand my explanation. The neck was just to small at the beginning.

Arbeitstag2_1.jpg

This is the piece of wood: My choice was Wenge (I do not know how it is called in english):

Arbeitstag2_2.jpg

The neck before glueing:

Arbeitstag2_3.jpg

Under Pressure:

Arbeitstag2_4.jpg

Now we have sawn all angles with the circular saw. Because Westhemann has convinced me, i have given the neck an angle of 1,5°. I think he is right with the comfortability reason.

Arbeitstag2_6.jpg

Here you can see the laminated neck and the sapelli mahogany head.

Arbeitstag2_8.jpg

Arbeitstag2_9.jpg

The next step was a quite complicated work, because we had to glue a 13° bevel, but the result is amazing. You have to fix the screw clamps proberly, that the head can not displace.

Arbeitstag2_10.jpg

Arbeitstag2_11.jpg

Back home we dealed with the wings, which have to be glued on the neck.

By the way I am the right guy, so it was not my lumber last week :D

Arbeitstag2_12.jpg

Laminating the Body and the neck. In the meantime we had sawn the Ken Lawrence headstock. B) I like it very much.

Arbeitstag2_14.jpg

Here is the result after 10 Hours work. No panic. The fingerboard is only fixed with double sided adhensive tape. The truss rod will be installed later.

Arbeitstag2_20.jpg

One thing to the finish. It will be a transparent one. I will not put a colour on it.

greets from germany :D

ragman

Hi,

there is not much progress to see this week, but some work had to be done. As you can see in the picture, we had to round off the neck. We used rasps for the job:

Arbeitstag3_1.jpg

We also had to install the trussrod. We made a template for a router and shaped the wood, that the trussrod fits:

Arbeitstag3_2.jpg

Here you can see, that we glued the brasilian rosewood fingerboard on the neck. After that we had to wait, so that we drank the whiskey on the left side of the picture :D

Arbeitstag3_5.jpg

This week i will do much precision work on the neck and all borders, as you can see in the picture. I will show you the result in a few days. :D

Arbeitstag3_6.jpg

Ciao

Ragman B):D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm back :D . I think it is time for posting some pics of the work within the last two weeks. Probably i will finish the guitar next week. The first pic shows the template for the pickup holes.

Arbeitstag4_1.jpg

Here is the self made radius sanding block. I made a radius of 12". I built it as it is shown in the book from Martin Koch :D . It works B)

Arbeitstag4_2.jpg

After I spent much time on the neck form, it was time to do my first fretjob. i wanted to save money and built may own fret bender. Here it is.

Arbeitstag4_4.jpgArbeitstag4_5.jpgArbeitstag4_6.jpg

24 pieces for 24 frets. Nice on an explorer...don't you think so??? most of the time i am lead guitarist, so i really need this..........well i dont know, but i like it.

Arbeitstag4_7.jpg

In the next picture you can see how i put the frets into the fingerboard. i took glue for a better fit.

Arbeitstag4_9.jpg

I also save money by pressing the frets into the fingerboard with the radius sanding block and some scew clambs.

Arbeitstag4_8.jpg

Pics, pics....

Arbeitstag4_10.jpg

Arbeitstag4_11.jpg

Here is the result of it: I am so lucky about this B)

Arbeitstag4_12.jpg

Next time i think i will present the finished guitar with a lots of pictures.

greets from germany, i like this forum very much.

ragman :D