Drill Press Problems

PerryL

I use my old mans £30 pillar drill and this happens from time to time (but what do you expect for £30). What I do is put a bit of wood on the platform and use the drill press to press it back on. Make sure that you are pushing down directly over the centre of the platform though as otherwise you'll push it down to an angle.

I keep thinking about using the stuff (the name escapes me at the minute) that you put on bolts to lock them into place. It's called Nut lock, thread lock or something like that. :D

I did find that the pressing method was better than hitting it with the hammer (although less satisfying B) )

LocTite, the red liquid that seals threads? That may be an idea worth invesitagting but I used a leather mallet the first time as per instructions and it lasted for a long time, however, with time it started dropping off. I can't find my manual at the moment but I think it had a section about maintenance

that mentioned what to do if this does happen.

And I hear ya on the hammer!

I don't know what the red loctite really is, but it seems to work like super-glue on metal. Maybe even stronger than super glue *on metal to metal*.

We'd use it at the factory where I worked and when a unit came back for repair work, the poor repair guy could not unthread what we had applied loctite to, so he'd have to hack-saw part off, then chisel out the rest.

You shouldn't have to use a glue. Mine came out once by itself. I have taken it out on purpose a few times. I set it in there, then bring down the chuck and spindle with the drill press handle, to gently press it all together against the drill press table, then, I put a scrap board under the chuck (with the chuck jaws all the way open), and wack the wood piece a few times with a hammer.

I wouldn't want the pieces to be oiled, but they should be cleaned, and if there's any sign of rust, I'd take care of that.

Edited by soapbarstrat

Hey Big G. The problem is the bearings on the shaft are'nt designed for lateral pressure, so while you are using the sanding drum you set up harmonic viabrations in the shaft and it losens the taper and the chuck falls out. Once you get the chuck back in, use the pressure method not the hammer, purchace a router bit collar fron the parts page in the manual and those troubles will be over.

Thanx StringKilla, I always wondered what loosened it anyway and Now I know. Morse Tapers don't need a set screw though do they? If it were a straight shaft It may work. I'm going with the Emery cloth polish and Light

Oil then pressing it back on with Pressure. I'm not gonna use the hammer though. What gives with the router bit collar? I'm not understanding this.

I have a friend that had this same problem. He said what you do to solve the problem is to lay the drill press down on it’s side and fully support the spindle shaft with a hardwood block or something. Then you take a metal chisel and hammer in tiny cuts around the shaft this gives the chuck something to grip. He said his hasn’t come off since.