Scale Length Too Short?

I've been asking around other forums and I've not really been given a clear answer, my question is would a 30" scale be too short for tuning to C#1 ? that would be the 2nd fret of the low B string on a 5 string bass.

if a 30" scale is too short then what scale would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Are you trying to build a bass or a guitar. If guitar, then I think Crazy Guitar had it right -- you only really need 27" for an extended length guitar (you would probably be hardpressed to find strings for a 30" GUITAR). However, if it is a bass you are talking about, I think that you will find a 30" scale to be VERY floppy on the low strings. And unless you get REALLY heavy strings, then your tone would suffer heavily as well.

I don't know why so many questions about the same. Answer is there!

My preference will be that the 27 would nbe enough. The 30 will be better if you plan on using lower gauge strings, just to keep the tension on them.

One question, why the extremely long scale? Any particular reason, you can make a 27 or 30" scale neck with 1 rod and 2 carbon fiber rods that will manage the 9 strings pretty good.

OK, well I think is not and Perry (Rhoads56) who make guitars for a living doesn't, I bet if Jeremy was here he would be saying the same thing, and he got a few on his belt.

Probably the ones giving you those answers don't know much about "building" guitars, but about playing them. I had a lot of problems in another forums like the mx ones. Usualy players that doesn't dare taking their guitars apart to figure out how to tweak them tend to talk a lot of no-sense. Good luck with yours.

Read my first post.

Think about the note you want to tune to. Where is that note on a standard 5 string 34" bass? Whats the measurement to that note? Imagine that fret was a nut, that would be the scale length.... does it work??? YES Can you get strings for a 30"? I CANT FIND THEM.

A 27.5" scale with 3+3 tuning layout, tunomatic and string through (45mm body thickness), leaves only half an inch of string winding to spare for the D string (d'addarrio).

Check this thread

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...topic=6690&st=0

it's like 2 above this one. Thats Jeremys 8 string, and the and it's 26" scale. I don't know the tunning on it, but it all depends on the strings that you use to be able to tune that low. If with normal strings the tension lacks just go a few .000" more. That will increase the tension of the string.

Yeah and MX place is getting so boring I rarely go there anymore. Lot of potential players but with so much freakin attitude.