Starting Work On The Razor Guitar!

Matt - another sweet design!

I hope you decide to build your own neck - it's really very rewarding and I'm sure you have the skills to do it. It may not be perfect the first time (but it might) - each time you build one, you'll get better at it. To make things easier, maybe just go with a pre-slotted and radiused board?

Anyway - for the pickup routing (you probably already know this but I'll mention it anyway):

Maybe someone has a template but if not, I use pieces of wood. Take one piece and make sure it has a flat edge or run it on a jointer if not. Saw the piece into 4 pieces. Drill holes into them (2 each) and counter sink. Draw out the pickup cavity on a piece of MDF and then place the pieces of wood to use them as guides for the router. Screw them down to the MDF and double check that everything is square. Then use a pattern bit and have at it (drill a hole to get it started).

The one thing to watch for when using this method is to be sure that the top edges of the 4 guide pieces are all flush. You don't want the router getting hung up on any edges that may be sticking up. Use a sanding block to even them up if needed.

This is the way I've been building my cavity templates. It doesn't always turn out right the first time though. I like to test each template before using them on the actual project - even if they look right.

Keep those pics coming! :D

Edited by daveq

thank's daveq for the info and I will one day soon build my own neck but Iam guting one made for this one with a large blank headstock and iam shapeing the back of the neck so I hope I can take A real long look at it an see for my self how it's done and give one a try :D

And one more thing "I GOT IT" my new ESP707 It will be in my hand's in 2 weak's :DB) I cant wait!

and it was only 160.00$$CAN

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Matt - another sweet design!

I hope you decide to build your own neck - it's really very rewarding and I'm sure you have the skills to do it. It may not be perfect the first time (but it might) - each time you build one, you'll get better at it. To make things easier, maybe just go with a pre-slotted and radiused board?

Anyway - for the pickup routing (you probably already know this but I'll mention it anyway):

Maybe someone has a template but if not, I use pieces of wood. Take one piece and make sure it has a flat edge or run it on a jointer if not. Saw the piece into 4 pieces. Drill holes into them (2 each) and counter sink. Draw out the pickup cavity on a piece of MDF and then place the pieces of wood to use them as guides for the router. Screw them down to the MDF and double check that everything is square. Then use a pattern bit and have at it (drill a hole to get it started).

The one thing to watch for when using this method is to be sure that the top edges of the 4 guide pieces are all flush. You don't want the router getting hung up on any edges that may be sticking up. Use a sanding block to even them up if needed.

This is the way I've been building my cavity templates. It doesn't always turn out right the first time though. I like to test each template before using them on the actual project - even if they look right.

Keep those pics coming! :D

That's how I make mine.

Dave

Thank's for the link but that's like 100.00$U.S plus tax's so It all work's out to about the same :D Iam realy hyped up hear I just cant wait I love EMG this will be my first EMG 7-string pickup It's going to sound so sweeeet :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Thank's for the link but that's like 100.00$U.S plus tax's so It all work's out to about the same :D Iam realy hyped up hear I just cant wait I love EMG this will be my first EMG 7-string pickup It's going to sound so sweeeet :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

yeah that is basically a cross between 81 and 85 tone,in a seven string pickup.i have never heard one.

i installed 81/7s in my v...they are quite nice.perfect for cleaning up that B string

guitarpartsdepot almost always has the best prices on emgs

i have gotten to where i don't even shop around anymore

Hear's my problem my loacal shope tell's me that EMG only has the one 7-string pickup and that's the EMG707 but I know other wize B) so iam going down there to talk to them in person and try to clear this up, iam just woundering if EMG has stoped makeing the EMG81-7 I or something I can't find it anywhere on there site :D but if worse comes to worse I will try the EMG707, but the one iam realy after is the 81-7 sound since Iam a deathmetal man and I know that the 707 is like the 85 witch is great for the softer stuff but that's not me and the 81-7 is just like the 81 great for the metal and that's what I want, so I will get back to guy's later on how it goes

EDIT:>Ok I just found out that EMG and Dino Cazares (fomerly of Fear Factory)

worked with togather on the EMG-707 pickup for 7-string guitar

which he uses exclusively on stage and in the studio.

Now this gives me a bit of hop for the sound of the EMG-707 but not alot iam still not sure any one ever used a EMG-707 before

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Just hit the link that I gave you and give them a call. They are so very nice to deal with, I will say as nice as Stew Mac. I had a problem once with a shipment, because I ordered the KH 21 and it wasn't on stock and they told me it will take 2 weeks to get shipped sice it was a custom order, I got a call 2 weeks later saying that it were going to be a few days more and I received it with 3 packs of strings, picks and a shirt free. Like Wes, I always go for them for EMG's,

well Iam going down to my local music store and Iam going to try to work this out

I would love to try the guitar parts depot but these guy's down hear have been great to me and I owe them giveing them a chance to find this pickup for me but if this fall's through guitar parts depot it is B)

well the shop is closed today but I,ve been doing alot of research on the EMG707 and Iam starting to feal a lot more happy about useing one on my guitar with the 707 haveing the same output as the 81 but with a thicker botom end lending it's self more the strong rhythm and and power rif's it may be more my style since I dont realy play any lead guitar but has anyone ever tryed one before!

"LGM iam looking your way" :D

EDIT:>WEll I just found this link this realy give's me hope for the EMG-707 check it

out :D

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data2/EMG/707-01.html

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Killer looking design (literally). Purple Heart just ignites the Maples figure. The shape is radical but it has great balance, choice of woods is outstanding. :D

Hey have you ever tried Dimarzio's. A friend of mine just dropped a Tone Zone 7 in his ESP, and it really has strong lows and mids. He is not much into leads mainly heavy rythym. The pickup is extra bottom heavy but tight.

Here is the link to the Harmony Central Review on it.

Tone Zone 7

Killer looking design (literally). Purple Heart just ignites the Maples figure. The shape is radical but it has great balance, choice of woods is outstanding. 

Hey have you ever tried Dimarzio's. A friend of mine just dropped a Tone Zone 7 in his ESP, and it really has strong lows and mids. He is not much into leads mainly heavy rythym. The pickup is extra bottom heavy but tight.

Here is the link to the Harmony Central Review on it.

Tone Zone 7

Well I have thought about useing them before but not for this guitar there great looking/sounding pickup's but they just dont look as wild as the EMG707 and wild is what I want for this design EMG's are just so against the norm that's why I love them B)

I've been lurking about...reading the posts, and working up my courage to build one of my own.....I would definitely use the EMG-707. I have replaced the pickups on all of my 7 strings (Schecter Omen-007, Jackson , and 3 ESP MF 207's). I also am a death guy, so the tight low end is important to me too.

Hey man welcome to the forum, and I hope you do build you own guitar and and keep it simpile for the first one but go wild on the design!! and Ya Iam realy happy that Iam useing the EMG-707 I cant wait Just a few more day and it's in my hands :D

so can I see some pic's of you guitar's

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Ya sure what the hell, hay bring on the hole thing LOL :D

Try www.photobucket.com It's a great place for hosting pic's and it's free

I cant wait to see them

!!METAL MATT!! B)