New Guitar Design

So I've been working on this design and slight variations on it for a damn long time now (it, along with others, litter the left margins of my notes in about every class). I hope to take a general shop/woodworking class at the local college nights in maybe the summer or something, just to get a feel for the tools I'd be using. But anyways, here's a design I'd kinda like to do something with.

I've gone back and forth on woods, but this is what i've settled on (at least for this design).

-Alder body, 1/4" flame maple top (if I can manage, a drop top bent over the forearm contour)

-Bolt on neck, either all maple or maple with 2 very thin bubinga (or comparable dark wood) laminates

-Ebony fretboard

-Flame maple veneer on the headstock

-AANJ style neck joint

-6-inline reverse headstock

-Strat-style hardtail string-through bridge

-Single EMG81 pickup, volume control

-Medium blue, stain black/sand back style finish, matching on headstock

-Natural "faux" binding on the maple top on the body, white binding on neck/headstock

-MOP inlay at 12th fret only, as in picture

Anyways, tell me what you think. I'm not gonna make any false promises and say "I'll have it done in months", but I really hope I can get a start on it this summer.

Yeah, it totally broke my heart when I saw those Leviathans. I've been kicking around the basics of that design (the extended bass-side horn, the "tail", and the sharp cuts around the waist of the body) for honestly 3 years now. I didn't notice that this headstock is pretty much like lgm's till you brought it up now though, so that'll probably change. The headstock design probably seeped in subconsciously from when I first saw it. Wouldn't be the first time... in that first draft three years ago I accidentally "designed" the headstock from Hetfield's KL explorer. :D

I see you like Icemen........I can totally see iceman influence.

Actually, oddly enough, that didn't really factor in, though I do dig the shape. The tail of the guitar is really more Fernandes Ravelle than anything, and the other dimensions of the guitar are based generally on an Ibanez RG. From there, I lengthened the bass horn and shortened the treble horn (just personal taste, I like the top of the guitar to extend a bit more to match the extension of the tail). The ends of the horns became more "stubby" and less pointed at some point, probably inspired by Trey Anastasio's Languedoc (sic) or possibly that one Schecter line. In the beginning stages, this design had full C-cuts, which was actually just as a result of violins and such (at the time, I hadn't really seen many guitars with them, though I certainly acknowledge this was not an original idea). The lower C cut was transformed into a half C cut since I often play sitting down, and the top one went to match the bottom.

Whew... that was a mouthful. But yeah, I do dig the Iceman, and I can see some of it in this design now as well.

The lower horn looks bit flimpsy to me. Making this bit bigger might put little more balance in guitar.

The highly offset cutaways is supposed to be kind of a main point of this guitar... When you say balance, do you mean physical balance or visual balance?

Personally, I like the look of the shorter treble horn. I think it looks great. I do have to agree with Slaughthammer about the space between the neck and the upper horn. Either move the upper horn down a bit, or maybe make the tip of the horn come down a bit more to match how far the lower horn sorta curves back in.