Small Tube Amp

Maher

What have you looked at so far?

havent really seen many thats why ive asked for suggestions :D something like the Fender Blues Junior 15 watts

What music are you going to play thru it?

Classic Rock / Blues / Modern Rock

How old are you willing to look at? Cheap as possible :D

How much $$$'s in servicing are you willing to shell out for servicing once you get it? B) ......how much does it cost to keep on in good condition! :D

From www.xe.com

£500 = $940.223

hahahhahaha sorry that $940 made me laugh :D To exchange it you take you number in euros and multiply by 1.19 making it about $600 USD. In that price range I would recomend getting either a peavey classic 30 or a traynor YCV20WR. I would stay away from the blues junior. I have done TONS of research and prety much everyone I asked says the peavey is better. I have played both and the peavey is better, much better. By better I mean the overdrive is better. The clean is about the same. The reverb on the fender is better IMO. The peavey does the slighty overdriven sound all the way through metal way better than the blues junior IMHO. The traynor sounds not better or wrose just a little bit different. It has better controls IMO. and it's tone is a bit more hard/marshall a bit on the gritter side of things. both will run you about $500 USD (BTW if yo uthink you need like a 15watt combo cuse you want to play in a small woom or whatever read this article amp power myths)

Edited by Godin SD

the peavy classic series i found was terrible, i say go with blues junior, or a pro junior and crank it for the natural tube overdrive (like it says on fenders site lol). Best thing is to find a store that carries both brands and try em out yourself!

-Jamie

...the peavy classic series i found was terrible, i say go with blues junior...

Different strokes and all, but I had the exact opposite reaction - I hated the Blues Jr, thought the Pro Jr was much better, but really liked the Classic 30 (and that's from a card-carrying Peavey basher of 30 years - face it, Hartley has sold more manure than the fertilizer industry! :D ).

I also liked the Subway Rocket from Mesa, FWIW, and there's a little Laney (15-20w?) tube combo (sorry, can't remember the model) that's also a giant-killer. Best thing is to listen to everything you can find (at performance volume, whenever possible), and pick whatever excites you, because that's the bottom line!

an update on my last post. I said that the traynor is more gritter in distortion than the peavey.But i've been playing around with one and found that you can get a VERY smoooooth overdrive just my cranking the clean channels gain and volume controls. Of course than it's painfully LOUD but it sounds better than ANYTHING I have tried in stores. And than you have the option to switch to the gain channel and have some heavier stuff. So ya my vote is for the traynor. Just get the one that has the greenback speaker. The other speaker sounds so dead compared to the greenback. (and it's only like $20 more) If you can somehow buy them in canada it's MUCH cheaper. They mark them up way high when they sell them in the us. In canada I would pay the equilivent of about $400 USD for one.