How To Become Aware

gilmourguy

my picking hand cramped up really bad while playing a gig on saturday! really horrible! It totally messed up my performance....any one got any tips how to stop it from occuring, and if it does whats the best thing to do for quick relieve?

sorry for hijacking!

Stretch it a bit before hand and be mindful to relax it between tunes.

I've never had a problem with the picking hand, but have had situations with the left after playing many tunes without stopping. When I did stop and dropped my left hand away from the fretboard, a nasty pain would shoot up my arm.

I've found it helps to just stretch a bit, massage it and relax it.

my picking hand cramped up really bad...whats the best thing to do for quick relieve?

Drink water. Like at least 1/2 gallon a day.

As for the tension thing, if you memorize the songs well, it really frees you up to relax and listen to the other members of the band. So many bands choke because everyone is concentrating so hard on their own part that they don't hear each other.

my hand always freaks out on me while playing upright. it's just rough on it, especially during a true uptempo swing or dance piece.

mainly the muscle at the base of the thumb ('cause it's doing the work of four fingers holding down those strings from the back of the neck), but occasionally in the palm as well. i find that stopping playing for a half hour or so is the best option, or switching to something easier to play, like for me, being electric bass. may not sound the same, but it gets the job done and is a total rest for the hand.

...meanwhile, other electric only players might be thinking, "what? playing bass is RELAXING to your hand? whoa...he's crazy." i say, if you haven't played an upright, your hand is no where as strong as you think it is...

Wes, you said holding it up is not balanced. Well im the exception. My guitar is balanced, but from my two bones in my left arm fusing, i cant twist it all the way. So its comfortable and balanced when i hold the neck up, or scoot the guitar towards my right leg a lot. i get cramps in my hand faster too, but the more i play the less they happen becuase i build up flexablity in my had. Try streching by pushing your fingers back. That works with me. If more, push your fingers to the side so that they are pushing inwards, but do one finger at a time.

Wes, you said holding it up is not balanced. Well im the exception. My guitar is balanced, but from my two bones in my left arm fusing, i cant twist it all the way. So its comfortable and balanced when i hold the neck up, or scoot the guitar towards my right leg a lot. i get cramps in my hand faster too, but the more i play the less they happen becuase i build up flexablity in my had. Try streching by pushing your fingers back. That works with me. If more, push your fingers to the side so that they are pushing inwards, but do one finger at a time.

what?

english,son...i know it is your native language,hyunsu makes himself understood better than this :D

my picking hand cramped up really bad while playing a gig on saturday! really horrible! It totally messed up my performance....any one got any tips how to stop it from occuring, and if it does whats the best thing to do for quick relieve?

sorry for hijacking!

I heard that cramp is often caused because there is not enough salt in your diet. Dunno if it was true or not but I think it might have been a physiotherapist who told me (or a nurse).

If, like me, you don't add salt to anything (except chips B) ) and maybe spuds then maybe that's not helping. But maybe I'm complely wrong :D

Taking calcium can help muscle cramps.

Generally, cramping can come from trying too hard to play something fast but accurate. If you're cramping and you're wrist is becoming tense when playing, SLOW DOWN! You can't afford to keep stressing your hand, or you'll end up with bad carpal tunnel. What you have to do is only play as fast as you can while relaxed! Don't let tension creep in, or you'll fall right back into your old habits. If you can train yourself to play fast but relaxed, you'll be able to play for much longer without any cramps, and you'll greatly reduce your risk for carpal tunnel.