Superstrat

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perry,

I noticed you didn't install the studs for the bridge or the string ferrules before finishing. Have you ever had a problem with the finish cracking when installing the studs or ferrules after finishing? It was just something I read a while back in the Hiscock book, so I was just curious.

<extreme Discovery Channel announcer voice>

Perry sets out to build a custom Soloist guitar for a client from far, far away. But this normally punctual luthier runs into problems when his high-tech, secret recipe laquer finish doesn't cure properly <shot of the Soloist hitting the Wall of Death> and the deadline looms even closer <shot of clock on the wall>. Will this master of the guitar deliver on time, or will he miss his deadline for the first time?

The frustration, the fatigue, the FAME!! THIS TIME, ON AUSTRALIAN GUITAR!!!

</extreme Discovery Channel announcer voice>

For our non-US cable/sat TV friends, the Discovery Channel is supposed to be our Science and Technology channel over here, but they do run a couple of shows called American Chopper and American Hot Rod that have an announcer outlining what's going on before the start of each episode. Quite entertaining.

Sorry 'bout the laquer problems, Perry. It sucks when you have to make that call to the customer that's going to disappoint them and embarrass yourself.

milkiness and bubbles. Wasnt a reaction. Checked the lacquer left in the tin, and it seems extremely thick, almost like thin honey. I did notice i put too much thinners in, but i still didnt put enough. Manufacturer seemed to think there have been a few problems like this recently.

Made up a sample today, and it needed 1 part paint to 4 parts thinners just to get the correct viscosity. Should be 1.5 parts lacquer, 1 part thinners.

• 2 years later...