What Is A Telecaster Made Of?

there made of both swamp ash and alder. There generally made of swamp ash with see through finishes and alder with opaque finishes. It's my understanding that these woods sound about the same but swamp ash looks better (it has nice grain patterns) and alder is just prety plain looking. You can get both cheap and are easy to work with.

most are made of alder, some are made of swamp ash, northern ash, poplar, basswood, and i think thats it. check their website if you want to know about a specific telecaster that you've tried and check the specs there.

-Jamie

i am looking on musicians friend and i see some made of virtually every type of wood,including mahogany,poplar,etc...

but if you are talking about the standard tele style tone made famous by numerous artists over the years,you are definately talking ash(northern) or alder.

all the other woods are a fairly new thing in the tele as far as i know

i cant remember the website but they used to be everythingstrat.com and they talked about fender woods being used, and in the 50s-60s with the baby boom and all, alder was very expensive due to people using it in furniture and all so they started to use a lot of poplar in them..if you really are dieing to know the whole history that is, then you can buy a book on ebay i saw recentlly. just search telecaster book.

Hey guys, what kind of wood a Tele is made from? I'm into country/southern rock(among other things) and I really dig the sound of a Tele.

Thanks

Mark

wood

:D

yeah...you are real funny.not.

him:what kind of wood is a tele made from?

you:wood

yeah...that is brilliant

That's what I was thinking.

I used northern ash on my tele, and I love the tone. The grain is a pain in the tail to fill, but it's worth it for the twang.

If I was gonna make a Telecaster with Northern Ash, I'd definitely do a Thinline like they started doing to make the weight tolerable.  Northern Ash can weigh alot.  Also, Fender doesn't call it Swamp Ash, they refer to it as Lite Ash.  Like they said Fender uses Alder mostly.

This might be a dumb question, but what's a "Thinline"?

Thanks for all the help to my questions!

mark