Anybody Got Some Wild Lookin Custom Guitars?

Yes, that thorn guitar appeared a few months after i posted this pic on a forum to get some feedback. Coincidence?? Who knows...

114-1421_IMG.JPG

wow..they are quite similar,aren't they?

Can you tell me how you bind the fingerboard with the abalone strips? Most of the guitars I have seen like this have fingerboard on the outside of the binding or inlay as well. Do you glue the strips of abalone on and then glue strips of the fingerboard material on over them or, is the abalone just inlaid along the fingerboard edge?

I'm pretty sure it's done by just routing out a channel wide enough for the strip and then setting it in.

ron uses a dremel to create a channel just off the edge of the fingerboard and sets the purfling in..pretty much like stated above

its not on the edge of the fingerboard so no outside binding is neccessaryto keep it in place.he also does the same thing along the headstock, the top of the body and the side of the body where the top wood meets the backing wood..

here's a good shot of it

http://www.thornguitargallery.com/images/035-17.jpg

Edited by MOJO

I'm pretty sure it's done by just routing out a channel wide enough for the strip and then setting it in.

ron uses a dremel to create a channel just off the edge of the fingerboard and sets the purfling in..pretty much like stated above

well it IS a gorgeous alternative to standar binding methods.

i think it would look great on a maple board with ebony strips...or vice versa

MOJO, im not concerned at all :D

I originally got the idea from a guy that wanted me to enhance his Rainsong. He told me about their shark logo, and i immediately thought of "PRS like sharks". Within 24 hours id drawn and inlaid them. However, its taken nearly a year to get the Rainsong done (im actually working on it right now).

Hello,

Mojo - great to see you here and thanks for the support as always.

rhoads56 - You're taking this like quite a gentleman I have to say. Mojo sent me the image of your fretboard a couple weeks ago. My e-mail reply to him was "he ripped us off". Now I read you posted the images months ago... :D

I am no stranger to having my inlay designs "ripped" by other builders. Some blatantly. It stings. I can only hope that you can take my word that I had not seen your fingerboard prior to this. Based on your above post, it seems that you have already considered this. Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

As Mojo explained, this concept guitar was in the works for quite sometime, close to a year. I have quite an extensive library of Dover copyright-free artwork/clipart books. Most of the sharks came from a variety of art books, coloring books, tattoos, and even children's stickers. (Mojo doesn't know that B) , however ). A little tweak here and there to fit within the frets was all.

In any event, thanks again. I hope to spend more time over here - this is a great forum from what I've read so far.

Sincerely,

Ron Thorn

Hello,

rhoads56 - You're taking this like quite a gentleman I have to say. Mojo sent me the image of your fretboard a couple weeks ago. My e-mail reply to him was "he ripped us off". Now I read you posted the images months ago... B)

I am no stranger to having my inlay designs "ripped" by other builders. Some blatantly. It stings. I can only hope that you can take my word that I had not seen your fingerboard prior to this. Based on your above post, it seems that you have already considered this. Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

As Mojo explained, this concept guitar was in the works for quite sometime, close to a year. I have quite an extensive library of Dover copyright-free artwork/clipart books. Most of the sharks came from a variety of art books, coloring books, tattoos, and even children's stickers. (Mojo doesn't know that :D , however ). A little tweak here and there to fit within the frets was all.

In any event, thanks again. I hope to spend more time over here - this is a great forum from what I've read so far.

Sincerely,

Ron Thorn

Hey ron ..good to see you here buddy :D

i do want to stick up up for Perry also..i didn't think it was a case of anyone ripping anyone off...just 2 great artist visionaries coming up with a similar idea..thats all

as i stated earlier neither Ron nor myself had ever seen Perry's sharks before acouple of weeks ago and i had my guitar for acouple of months already by then and theirs no way Perry could have seen our sharks because it was never shown anywhere on the internet till after the guitar was completed and delivered in OCT

(ron and i were very "top secret" about them no one except anyone who happened to wander by Ron's shop knew anything about them..well thats not true Jeff who designed the tribal shark F hole.knew what the inlays looked like ..but thats it )

Perry's a good guy and Ron's a good guy..no foul on anyone...

Ron hope you stick around here some..

ron really is great down to earth guy and a wealth of information in not only inlay and guitar building but also designs and builds his own CNC machines and other goodies..he's like a mad little Dr Frankenstein..no challenge too crazy to attempt

Hello,

rhoads56 - You're taking this like quite a gentleman I have to say. Mojo sent me the image of your fretboard a couple weeks ago. My e-mail reply to him was "he ripped us off". Now I read you posted the images months ago... :D

As Mojo explained, this concept guitar was in the works for quite sometime, close to a year. I have quite an extensive library of Dover copyright-free artwork/clipart books. Most of the sharks came from a variety of art books, coloring books, tattoos, and even children's stickers. (Mojo doesn't know that B) , however ). A little tweak here and there to fit within the frets was all.

Sincerely,

Ron Thorn

i would LOVE to see you hang around.it really looks like you have your stuff together.

Hiya Ron, im well aware of the ripping off syndrome. Just got notification of a HUGE brand that has ripped of a body design of mine. HOWEVER, although my plans were never released on the web until three weeks ago (on paper for 18 months), this "huge" company had a finished guitar at the NAMM show. Good designers must think alike huh :D

I first saw the shark guitar on the Jackson forum, back around October, maybe before. I posted my design on my website in July. Im under no false ideas that you went off and quickly put off all your other work to rush through a 'copy' B)