Anybody Got Some Wild Lookin Custom Guitars?

did you build these or buy these?they are excellent

edit i just searched and found thorn guitars.very nice.

I don't know, unless there's something I'm missing, it seems like a coincidence to me. Lots of people have great ideas for beautiful guitars, some simultaneously. The first guitar I ever built looks sort of like the Reb Beach Ibanez but I made it a year or so before it came out. Then I had people telling me I copied it. I have pencil drawings from when I designed it. (I mean they aren't dated but I know when I did them) Needless to say, those Thorn guitars are fantastic. And yes, Perry, :D we all think your guitars are awesome too. Even if you did rip your inlay idea off of that Thorn guy. B)

The Warrior guitars are great, too. I think those guys do some really creative things. Then there's those cats in Germany I think, Auerswald or something? That's some wild stuff. I also get some inspiration from Tune guitars and basses. They think outside the box sometimes. And I like Drak's guitar with the sunburst quilt top and the pokey arrow horns coming in off the cutaways.

it's only inlay. OH NO HE'S USING PEARL DOTS.

"it's only inlay"

"it's only a headstock decal"

"it's only a trademark name on a copy of a homemade guitar being sold on ebay"

"ahh don't worry about copying sepultura999s only original idea he ever came up with...i am sure he wouldn't mind,because when he was a kid he supported that kind of thing."

i mean...i don't know who copied who,if anyone copied anybody...but i do find some people's support of that sort of thing to be quite sickening.which is why you guys will never see my truly original guitars.all you will ever see are the basic one-offs..

and if i ever did start selling original work,you could be sure i would patent it so i could go after guys trying to make money off my hard work.

those who support wholesale replication of other's work are those who do not have the creativity to come up with anything remotely original

i didn't say i supported it. I just said "it's only inlay", it's not like it's a new style bridge or nut but i do understand nevertheless how anyone would feel when their hardwork is just ripped off. i was in a bad mood so just disregard what i said previous.

this is a off topic but... sepultura999, what or who is that into your avatar!?!?

To me it looks like a REALLY seedy looking guy with a pair of orange rubber gloves on, holding a mop or something :D

Dunno, but it makes me think 'whitetrash' whenever im reading one of your posts B)

this is a off topic but... sepultura999, what or who is that into your avatar!?!?

To me it looks like a REALLY seedy looking guy with a pair of orange rubber gloves on, holding a mop or something B)

Dunno, but it makes me think 'whitetrash' whenever im reading one of your posts :D

As well it should! That's Ricky from "The Trailer Park Boys", a TV series based in Canada but being 'shipped' abroad. I'm sure they get it on one of the American cable networks.

[edit: bah, ibreakem beat me to it! FYI, that's Bubbles in HIS avatar, from the same show]

Regarding the Reb Beach guitar-- I love that thing. I think it's awesome, though I've never played one. Always loved the look. Then again, I also love Steinbergers, and I agree with the comparison. :D

As for the inlays... I don't know that I'd get too upset about it. I think the PRS flying birds are awesome, but I don't want to rip them off. That makes me think, "Well, what else to put on there?" OK, some talented guy on a forum had this bad-ass shark pattern, I think I'll do that one instead of the birds. Now, while the PRS birds are copyrighted (I believe), I don't know that the sharks are. Perry?

If anybody has an even better idea for an inlay other than sharks or birds (but something that looks to be in motion like the PRS birds do to me) I'd be all for it.

Er...

Sorry, no custom wild guitars to show.

Nah, im not overly concerned, the designs are different, and although i did post my pics on the web before thron posted theirs, no doubt they were working on the inlay well before i drew mine. I just thought it was a cool idea, and i was a little spewin someone else had come up with the same thing, but then again, "Birds" although nice, are EVIL like Sharks, so someone else would have come up with it sooner or later if i/thorn didnt.

Yeah I was being funny anyway, but that's the right attitude. I mean it's very rare that things are truly original. There have been aquatic themed inlays for a long time. The Jem vine inlay wasn't original, but doing vine with neon colors was. The Reb Beach cutout wasn't original, but the Steinberger was. But even the SB was born out of necessity because those tuners were back there. I remember designing that guitar and saying "I'll rip off the Steinberger back, so you can get to the floyd bolts and because it looks cool." Then I ripped off the old Alvarez Dana Scoop cutaways, (so my cutaways aren't RG) and then I started carving and sculpting it down, so it's not a flat top. But even that was ripped from every other guitar I ever saw with a carved top. I always loved the Radius. The Radius and Saber were original carves, but they're just dinky strat shapes.

Now that Auerswald guy is doing something totally original. Most I would never play, but you have to admit...

It's hard to say what's "wild" though. Do you mean wildly figured and fancy like those thorns, even though they're just LP double cuts? Or do you mean wild like crazy shapes and "defy the laws of physics" construction?

I do hide some of my ideas now. I used to hide them all when I was in the business, and then eventually someone else would just invent it also. So who was I helping? So now I try to balance it. I share what's not a big deal, and I keep the stuff that's truly patentable and could really change things, and make some money for whoever ends up doing it.

Then there's the whole thing between patents and trademarks. If you're doing custom guitars you should trademark any identifying elements, so that if you get world renown people can't make money off your essence.

That Fajdiga guitar is great.

have yall seen the new taylor a5? It's both an electric and an acoustic and sounds purdy good at both! Only problem is that the guitar i'm building now works EXATLY like the taylor A5. I was going to patent it and go into business selling these things. But than I looked on taylors site (always drooling over there acoustics) And saw MY guitar design on there :D Looks like I needed to patent it like a year earlier. B)

Nah, im not overly concerned, the designs are different, and although i did post my pics on the web before thron posted theirs, no doubt they were working on the inlay well before i drew mine. I just thought it was a cool idea, and i was a little spewin someone else had come up with the same thing, but then again, "Birds" although nice, are EVIL like Sharks, so someone else would have come up with it sooner or later if i/thorn didnt.

honestly Perry, i never saw your shark inlays before till like 3 weeks ago when i went onto your website after seeing your Super strat thread and started looking around..it really was just a coincedence

that we both had the similar idea.. i got the idea from combining the shark inlays from Rainsong acoustic guitars ( they've been doing shark inlays for years on their guitars ) with a guitar Thorn (#12) did with Orcas completed Jan 03

http://www.musicianmatcher.com/LeonsGear/

i just told ron i wanted the same kinda thing with sharks instead of orcas.. actually he did 2 mockup drawnings he sent me

1) with just alll hammerhead sharks

2) the one with various sharks ( which is the one we went with )

i ordered my shark guitar around AUG 1 of 2003

about a week after i got my first thorn

Edited by MOJO