Queen

eddiefletcher

OK a lot pf people give queen a hard time cos of freddie, but I still say they rock the arse out of most bands! What do you think?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had to laugh at the name of the thread, though I tell my students every day not to use the word "Gay" that way, as it doesn't really make sense.

Considering Freddie Mercury was gay, the irony was enough to make me chuckle, though. :D

Queen is one of the best bands ever, and certainly in the top 5 Classic Rock bands of all time.

They rock!

Greg

I'm still amazed that anybody was shocked when Rob came out, especially after all the obvious clues in the songs and the way he dressed! Still, it's a lot of fun to watch my conservative homophobic bandmates squirm and shudder every time the subject comes up - that's gotta be the stuff of their nightmares! :D

All I can say is that on a good night, Queen was as good an arena rock band as I have ever seen, and their recordings have had a much wider influence than they'll ever get credit for!

I remember when the single (yes, I mean 45 record) came out for "Radio GaGa" came out. The Program Director for our station (a devout Baptist) went into a fit because Freddy Mecury was pictured on the record sleeve wearing a t-shirt that said "I love my Peterbuilt"

I don't know what was funnier: Mercury wearing that t-shirt, or the PD's reaction.

D~s

Are we talking the SHOW or the MUSIC?

I saw them twice in the '70's, and yes, their show was really very good, it went from complete bombastic rock on one song to Freddie w/ a solo spot sitting down on the ivories, so yeah, they really did put on a great show, and had the loud/quiet/loud thing down pretty good, ...but I wouldn't say quite the best. But you know, if that's your bag, then you could say they had the arena rock thing nailed down pretty good, the point could be argued.

You might not think so, but Ted Nugent put on one helluva show back then, he really was a crazy MF, but in a different way.

And even tho they didn't have the show Queen had, Van Halen on their first national tour ('78?) just slayed. It was raw, fun, and completely crazy, so what they lacked in showmanship they more than made up for with arrogant attitude and energy and a guitarist that was on his way to becoming a total legend in the world of rock guitar, and a front man that no one could really touch, even Freddie didn't have what Dave had when he was on top of his game back then.

But Dave didn't have the total range of talent that Freddie had either.

And don't get me started on Pink Floyd, hehehe...

Arena Rock was cool.

I would actually say Queen's closest competition was probably The Who. They also did the quiet/bombastic/quiet thing too, and well, hmmm close call, both were completely excellent bands really.

I vote No Clear Winner, and I would have been completely too stoned to care to judge anyway, hehehe. :D

Are we talking the SHOW or the MUSIC?

I saw them twice in the '70's, and yes, their show was really very good, it went from complete bombastic rock on one song to Freddie w/ a solo spot sitting down on the ivories, so yeah, they really did put on a great show, and had the loud/quiet/loud thing down pretty good, ...but I wouldn't say quite the best. But you know, if that's your bag, then you could say they had the arena rock thing nailed down pretty good, the point could be argued.

You might not think so, but Ted Nugent put on one helluva show back then, he really was a crazy MF, but in a different way.

And even tho they didn't have the show Queen had, Van Halen on their first national tour ('78?) just slayed. It was raw, fun, and completely crazy, so what they lacked in showmanship they more than made up for with  arrogant attitude and energy and a guitarist that was on his way to becoming a total legend in the world of rock guitar, and a front man that no one could really touch, even Freddie didn't have what Dave had when he was on top of his game back then.

But Dave didn't have the total range of talent that Freddie had either.

And don't get me started on Pink Floyd, hehehe...

Arena Rock was cool.

I would actually say Queen's closest competition was probably The Who. They also did the quiet/bombastic/quiet thing too, and well, hmmm close call, both were completely excellent bands really.

I vote No Clear Winner, and I would have been completely too stoned to care to judge anyway, hehehe. B)

Good points there Drak, I was talking about the whole thing the shows, the music, the image everything!! I had an argument with a mate over if you were a complete girl for still listening to Queen. I argued that I couldnt care less I just thought they were fantastic. Then he started saying that Pink Floyd were better and filled more stadiums, things went downhill from there really. I stated name calling and he started stamping his feet. So i thought I'd ask a more intelligent bunch of people.

QUEEN ROCK ( and still listening to them does not classify you as being a raving poofta ) :D

I remember Brian May and Eddie Van Halen did some blues thing record together back then, it was a shortie record, like it only had 3 songs on it, but it showed Eddie VH playing strictly blues, although in his own shredder style. Kinda weird. He never did anything like that again AFAIK.

Totally forget what it was called, had something to do with old monster movies...

Y'know, I forgot, but Styx and Kansas could also be tossed into that Arena Rock quiet/bombastic/quiet thing too, and both were good, with Kansas kicking the snot out of Styx at that game.

I mean, do you remember Mr. Roboto? Ughhhh! Hahahaa!

The front guy for Kansas (Steve something?) could give Freddie Mercury a serious run for his money in his day, but Queen far outlasted Kansas as far as longevity goes.

I remember Brian May and Eddie Van Halen did some blues thing record together back then, it was a shortie record, like it only had 3 songs on it, but it showed Eddie VH playing strictly blues, although in his own shredder style. Kinda weird. He never did anything like that again AFAIK.

Totally forget what it was called, had something to do with old monster movies...

Brian May's "Star Fleet Project" with Eddie Van Halen

As told to Jas Obrecht

Put in Internet by Gonzalo Plaza R. (gplaza@gloria.cnt.cl)

Star Fleet Project, a three-cut mini-album credited to Brian May & Friends, documents the rare airing of two rock's foremost guitarist in an informal jam setting: Brian May of Queen and Eddie Van Halen, winner of Best Rock Guitarist in this issue's Readers Poll. The sessions took place in Los Angeles on April 21 and 22, 1983, three month after Brian's Guiatr Player cover story. Also in attendance were Alice Cooper keyboardist Fred Mandel, REO Speedwagon drummer Alan Gratzer, and Phil Chen, bassist for the Rod Stewart band. "Star Fleet", the project's single, contains brief example of May's layered guitar technique, a signature sound on many Queen hits. May and Van Halen swap hot blues solos in "Let Me Out" and "Blues Breaker", which total 20 minutes. Here Brian shares his thoughts on his album and forthcoming video.

I'm trying to track down the tracks on limewire at the moment!!! :D