Ive Decided To Build A P.r.s As My Second Guitar

OK, Ive decided to build a prs artist style guitar. Here is the tools I have: 9inch band saw, dremel tool, drum sander. What else do I need to buy? I would also like to know what the tone differance is between the honduras mahogany and the african maple. What is P.R.S best model? :D Peace

Yes this is my second guitar. I built a tele as my first guitar(It has a Swamp ash body and maple neck like the original one). I think my previous posts might have been a little misleading(they sound as if ive never even heard of a guitar). I can tell you everything about a prs(Ive read books, and I read the project guitar tuts). But I just want to make sure that Im doing this right. I also have never done a carve top. Ive searched google and project guitar forums, but ive never found the body specs on a prs yet for the carve top. All I want is a little help, Ive spent $500.00 on tools, and im afraid to attempt a carve top. Can you help? Am I at the right place? Just tell me the difference between african and mahogany, and if I have the right tools for a carve. Then give me the specs and when im done youll be suprised.

Edited by StudentGuitarBuilder

Just tell me ........and if I have the right tools for a carve. Then give me the specs and when im done youll be suprised.

Here are some measurement from the template I made which was traced directly from a Custom 22.

17 3/4 inches X 13 inches

The back wood is about 1 1/4 inches thick and the maple top is 1/2 inch thick. The measurements aren't factory spec or anything but pretty darn close.

The measurements on the guitar I made are slightly different, which I did on purpose ( 1 inch back and 3/4 top), so don't use the pictures of mine to get an example of the 2 thicknesses.....

As far as tools, I know I've recommended this a bunch of times but I'll keep doing it because I know it works and works good; not to mention it's so easy you won't believe your eyes as you're doing it.... Use an Orbit sander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read my post, it should help:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=11848

That dremel will come in handy for the horns and I assume you already have a router... You're going to need a crap load of 2 inch (or bigger) C-clamps for gluing the top to the back.... There's a special bit I used to get the recesses for the knobs which I talk about in my post too...... Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Don't let anyone talk you out of making it! This was my second guitar too so I know it can be done. If you feel a little apprehensive about doing it, you aren't alone. It seems like it's harder to get over the whole idea of it being hard because people tell you it is than it is to actually do it (using my method anyway B) ).

What do you have to lose? If you're worried about the money wasted on wood either buy cheaper wood for now; OR actually buy some really cheap wood and use it just to make a practice run for doing the top. You can throw it in the trash when you're done, burn it, hang it on the wall or hell, make a fake neck for it and then smash it on stage *LOL* Bottom line, just do it :D

I need to save all this crap I just typed so I can just paste it next time :D

Edited by Gigabyte

Thanks Gigabyte! I really appreciate your post! Thats the info I was looking for! I know I can do it but, I did want to spend $100.00 on maple cab and screw it up. So Im gunna read all the info on this site again and practice on scrap.

The biggest mistake I made was wanting to do a carved top guitar.  :D  I should have made a Steiberger clone with EMGs instead.

<grin>

Greg

that's irony for you.my first guitar from scratch was a carved top...and my next build will be a steinberger clone with emg pickups.

it will be my first attempt at inlays though.

from your article rhoads...it looks as if i should buy some honduran mahogany from the cabinet shop i get it from before the prices go up.if they haven't already

Don't say I never did anything for you Harrison:

PRS body in 4 quarters...... Click me....

Just print them out and piece them together and type:

"Fred's the MAN!!!" 3 times while saying it out loud :D

Maybe I should put this in the tutorial and reference section..........

P.S. After you piece them together it should be 17 3/4 tall and 13 inches at the fattest part.

Edited by Gigabyte

I added the headstock and cavity plate (boomerang looking one). Keep in mind these are close but approximated (not exact), unlike the body which I actually traced from the real thing.

I made these by finding clear pics off ebay, tracing them in photoshop and then playing with the size to fit the needs of my project, so what I'm saying is they are not exact but usable and if you can use them, cool :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/shadowninja_x/PRS%20body/

I'm going to copy and paste this into the thread in the tutorial and reference section since I put them all in the same album........

Edited by Gigabyte