My First Project

xlr8

really amazing work..

first project .. OTL

All working is amazing .. professional work..

good..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xlr8, your guitars are inspiring.  I wanna go home early today and do more work on mine.

What dyes did you use?  I'm particularly interested in the name of the dye and color you used for the blue.

Thanks.

Dave

Hi dave,

Thanks for the comments. The dyes are powdered alcohol soluble made by Transfast, turquoise blue and black. I picked them up at Rockler for around $13 each and mixed them at double strength in lacquer thinners. they are also available as water soluble if you prefer.

Initially I double stained with the black and after sanding applied the blue with a rag. I then shot a few coats of clear to seal it followed by a light flatting. Next I shot some blue toners coats by adding my lacquer thinner/dye mix in with some clear follwed by a couple more clear coats. After more light flatting I shot the burst using the black followed by several more clear coats before final polishing.

Neil

:D

WoW! bealtiful guitars! I liket both but the orange one, is taking my breath away! hehe

someone that live in Brasil, know how this thing, that he used to color the flamed maple, is named here???????

I think that here is named ANILINA???? aniline in english. what do you think?

Edited by Marco-Brazil

• 2 months later...

Xlr8, I have been practicing building necks for a couple of weeks and I was wondering, how did you blend the peghead face into the fretboard? I am talking about the curved area. :D

TOM stands for Tune-O-Matic, which is the kind of bridge you'll find on the Gibson Les Paul, though of course the LP isn't the only guitar featuring a TOM bridge.

Greg

Ah ok now clear I know the tune o matic but i didn't knew about TOM abbreviation.

And toner coat what it is?

EDIT: What kind of sealer and finish do you use on your guitars? i was just looking at the LP project, great guitar. I can't find the section on Mika's site where he speaks about jigs. Link?

Edited by gun

Ah ok now clear I know the tune o matic but i didn't knew about TOM abbreviation.

And toner coat what it is?

EDIT: What kind of sealer and finish do you use on your guitars? i was just looking at the LP project, great guitar. I can't find the section on Mika's site where he speaks about jigs. Link?

Ok thanks, it looks so glassy. I like it. How many coats did you spray on?

EDIT: Did you use a water base sanding sealer like the one StewMac sells? I think dyes for sunbursting are water soluble. They work without problem under poly, right?

Edited by gun