Finished At Last!

Maris

All Finished!

Mahogony back, quilted maple front,dyed with a rag and laqured from a can. Not quite made fron scratch, the neck is a warmoth, but i'll give it a go next time.

Truss rod cover i made at work from solid silver and mother of pearl, Seymour duncan 59 bridge, DiMaarzio air norton neck, gotoh 510 bridge and sperzel locking tuners.

Can't wait to start the next one. B)

front1.jpg

:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/DrNumpty/head.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/DrNumpty/side.jpg

Thanks for the comments,

The maple came from a wood supplies near me, they have got loads of bits; I just got lucky on the day. I also got some iroko (spelling) but unsure if it's any good for guitars? Anyone know.

As for the bridge, I think its fine, the only prob is that if you have it set too low it's a real pain to re-string as the end of the string won't fit between the bridge and the guitar body. So it's set a little higher than I would like. In hindsight I would have recessed the body to allow for it but I didn't think of that at the time.

Also for the next one I’m going to invest in a proper polisher as the results aren't as good as I think you could get.

Cheers,

Thanks for the comments,

The maple came from a wood supplies near me, they have got loads of bits; I just got lucky on the day. I also got some iroko (spelling) but unsure if it's any good for guitars? Anyone know.

As for the bridge, I think its fine, the only prob is that if you have it set too low it's a real pain to re-string as the end of the string won't fit between the bridge and the guitar body. So it's set a little higher than I would like. In hindsight I would have recessed the body to allow for it but I didn't think of that at the time.

Also for the next one I’m going to invest in a proper polisher as the results aren't as good as I think you could get.

Cheers,

I haven't ever dealt with that kind of bridge, so I may be way off, but wouldn't angling the neck pocket fix that problem? It seems like that would allow you to raise the bridge??

On the subject of the Iroko, I know it has been used on guitars, but I'd like to hear if anyone has first-hand knowledge of it. I bought a big chunk of spalted Iroko and it looks very nice. The guy I got it from called it African Teak, another of those confusing, made up names.

And the guitar looks beautiful.

On the subject of the Iroko, I know it has been used on guitars, but I'd like to hear if anyone has first-hand knowledge of it. I bought a big chunk of spalted Iroko and it looks very nice. The guy I got it from called it African Teak, another of those confusing, made up names.

And the guitar looks beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice but you should put a real bridge on it.

One that doesnt want to lift off the body from the string tension. A wrap around bridge has got to be the worst idea for a bridge ever dreamed up.The tuners are taking every bit of the strings tension . Having no down force created by the strings break angle over the bridge kills your sustain

One that doesnt want to lift off the body from the string tension. A wrap around bridge has got to be the worst idea for a bridge ever dreamed up.The tuners are taking every bit of the strings tension . Having no down force created by the strings break angle over the bridge kills your sustain

I'd seriously rethink that theory if I were you. :D

Maris, that sunburt is FANTASTIC!!

One that doesnt want to lift off the body from the string tension.  A wrap around bridge has got to be the worst idea for a bridge ever dreamed up.The tuners are taking every bit of the strings tension .  Having no down force created by the strings break angle over the bridge kills your sustain

Lp jr?? Wrap arounds seem to do okay for me at least.

By the way the finish looks great. Would you care to detail the process you used.

Bill

about iroko, hyunsu used it on a guitar, check his threads. he always gives his opinion about the different woods he uses. i like the way iroko looks, really cool grain pattern.

i put a wraparound on my gretsch and it has great sustain. better sustain than all of my other guitars. a bit more research would show you that maybe you should rethink what you just said. how can you in the same paragraph say that the tuners are taking all the string tension but also say that the bridge wants to lift off from taking so much string tension?

Edited by Meegs666