Tattoos

TGwaH

Do you have a tattoo?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tattoos ROCK! and yes I have "few" tattoos..

On my rigth shoulder I have a Frankensteins monster face and below it the is a sad clown face. These are black and grey tattoos

Left arm is covered with a big red carp, few dragon-flies, water and a seahorse-lizard tribal. And back of my arm is somekind of lionfigure. Here is a picture of my arm few years ago before filling it up with dragonflies and water:

tat_coverup01.jpg The arm looks totally different nowdays than in the picture =) My left breast has a buggs designed lizzard head.

In the future i am planning to tattoo sleevees to both my arms and maybe I'll tattoo my two pet iguanas to my back in real size.

Thats really cool man!

I have nine tattoos (at last count).

I have a small one on my chest and on the back of my neck, one on my f'orearm-wrist area (the inside wrist, about the size of a packet of cigarettes), both sholder to elbows' (not sleeves, just tattoos from those points) and one on my left side from my armpit to my waiste.

Good night all,

Luke

Yes I have four, Two chinese symbols, the british lion and my army number on my lower back ( by default didnt really get a choice )

They apparently do that because if you step on a land mine its the best part of your body to stay together enough to identify you by..

Incidentally the official UK course of action for stepping on a land mine is...

"jump 50 feet in the air and spread yourself over a wide area" :D

My advice would be to think well what to get for your first tattoo.. I got that small tribal bird head with a locet in its spout - thing in my left shoulder. The tat was not ugly or anything but i feel that it spoilded my arm pretty badly later when i decided to take more tattoos. So i had to get a cover up for it..

You can see the tattoo before and after the cover-up work earlier in this page. I wish I had a pic of the current situation. It looks so much better now.

[EDIT] And even more important would be _where_ you take the tattoo. I'd go only to a well known artist who is known to use steril needles. Don't risk your health!

Yes, never, EVER go to a backyard tattooist. No matter how 'clean' he/she tells you they are, OR how good their work looks.

Once you have Hep C or HIV, its too late. It is much more worthwhile to have the piece of mind that goes with knowing you are safe.

A good sign is an Autoclave- if they dont have one, I personally wouldnt get any work done there.

I also wouldnt go to anyone who appears 'annoyed' when you ask about their saftey procedures. Remeber, YOU are paying them- its in their interest to give you piece of mind.

Tattoos tend not to look their best on a corpse, in my humble opinion.

Cheers all,

Luke

Tatoos will also keep you from some jobs. My cousins got a full arm tatoo and he couldnt get a job at any office building or people to people store(walgreens, rite aid, ect).

Curtis, stray from full arm tatoos :D

Sorry but I'd have to negate that. I suspect your cousin is not getting these jobs for other reasons. First of all, it's against the law to descriminate in such ways, granted it's hard to prove. Example, I have long hair, ear rings, a tat and I work for the US Navy!

I know a fair amount of people who have tats (even full wraps) that wear suits, ties and make a good living everyday. Granted getting a tat on your forehead may not be a good idea but arm tats can be masked with clothing pretty easily most of the time.

You made me think of a visit to a CVS (drug store) where the young lady behind the counter had more piercings on her face (nose, lips, eyebrows..oh yeah..ears) than I have ever seen in the area. Granted it was in Drak Town so maybe he has something to do with it. :D

:D

Well, it must have been Drak's fault then :D

One thing about the laws is that not everyone follows. Its really hard to prove that it was because of discrimination, but my cousins a very big(not fat, wrestler build) guy, probaly scaring the crap out of the little old lady who he had to talk to :D

They let you have long hair in the Navy? B)

haha, chris, i decided to get the tatto on the back of my shoulder, where a shirt will cover it, and when i take the shirt off (to impress the ladies, of course) they can see the awesome tattoo in all its glory (i wasnt talking bout the tattoo inmpressing them, i mean my god like body, LOL)

Curtis

I wear a suit to work, so all of my tattoos are hidden, haha.

Its definately a good idea to keep your tattoos 'T-Shirt coverable' until you have a few, and/or are used to it.

Somewhat off topic (rant here)

Do not get a 'semi permanent' tattoo. It does NOT work (the tattoos that supposedly last for 3 or so years, using vegetable dyes). They do not fade out completely- they leave a mess. They end up looking terrible- the only option is coverup, or lazer removal. I have to say, lazer removal does not return the skin to 'vigin, untattooed' quality- its never the same. The skin CAN be damaged (scarred) by the tattoo process- if you look closely at a few tattoos (over a few years old or so) you may see it (not tattoos over scars, mind you). Everyone is different, but if you scar easily, it is something to think about. Removal is not better than not having a tattoo in the first place

Cheers all,

Ed Roman (I mean, Luke)

Cheers all,

Ed Roman (I mean, Luke)

:D If you were Ed Roman, you'd have told everyone that our tatoos are crap and that you could do us a far superior tatoo for just a little bit more money. Someone would believe you, go to Ed's shop and come out with biro drawing of a god damn ugly guitar on their forehead and be about $1200 out of pocket :D

mmmm, i can't actually remember what I was going to say now....errr....oh yeah.

What are tatoo's like when they go over a scar? None of mine currently do, but as I want to get a bigger one on my back, it would be impossible to avoid them. I have about 10 scars, about 10mm wide running accross the whole width of my back from a rather bad tempered rugger match (I guess it serves me right for trying to drown someone in a puddle B) )

Kaj :D

Hahaha, thats true! Ed is one 'unique' cat.

In terms of tattoos over scars, I have found that time is the healer of all wounds.

I had a scar on my arm (years old), and had a tatto that went over it. No problem at all. If you look at it in the right light, you can see where the texture of the skin is different, but made no difference to the tattoo at all.

That said, last year I did something stupid with a soldering iron, and managed to 'stab' one of my tattoos with it when it was on (one of those stupid, negligent accidents that happen in a blink of an eye).

I ended up with a scar in the middle of my tattoo (in a red part of my tattoo, so its not really noticeable).

After it was healed, I went and got it touched up.

However, now (about 12 months later) the ink has gone from the scar area (so it looks as though it was never touched up at all).

I dont think the scar was settled or faded enough when I had it touched up (it was only a month or so after the soldering incident).

I think it would be OK now, so when I get it touched up again (soon) Ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers man,

Luke

I usually hide my tats under the clothes when I meet people for the first few times (job interviws, visits @ customers, bank, you name it ). Usually when people get to know me they usually accept me with my tattoos.. If they do not accept me because of tats.. then I could not care less.

When applying the job where i am now, i had a t-shirt on me that showed some parts of my tattoos to the interviewer.. Anyway I got the job It is not so unusal that people have tattoos. Now even my mom has thought of getting tattoo at her 50th birthday ( which she won't do, hopefully. since they are now in a holiday at Thailand, and her bd is during the trip ). I have actually planed to pay her tattoo here at home if she still want's to take one.

Last time when i was at the tattoo shop taking a tattoo. The guy who does pearchigs in the shop told me about this elderly farmer who came in to take a pearcing to his spam :D . He had no tattoos or pearcings earlier. I think that is pretty cool, that even older poeple dare to do something concerned a bit "extreme". :D

• 3 weeks later...

i've got three

on my right upper arm a picture of marvin the martian standing on mars, with tassie devil jumping out of a crater behind him. on my left upper arm a tribute to my deceased daughter brianna, just a simple love heart with her name and date of death. on my right ankle a tribal sun.

i plan to get at least four more, something on my left ankle, don't know what yet, an arm band on my left arm in the style of the kids game "barrel of monkeys" where the monkeys will have there arms interlocked, and different expressions on their faces, ie: happy sad angry etc.

i also want a HUGE one on my back and one on my chest.