fretboard?

The Fretboard goes back to the dawn of civilisation, Sumerian culture, 2500 BC...

While in modern times necks have been designed without them, they became popular again with manufacture's such as Fender towards the end of the late 50's early 60's with the advancement of the bolt on neck and new tools used to help high speed production.

Today you can still get necks which do not have a fretboard attached, basically solid maple with a truss rod that has been either inserted through a hole drilled from the end or a slot which has been routed from the back then filled with typically a different type of wood.

i beleive fender put them on because he noticed on tv that the maple necks looked dirty and rosewood would hide it..... but a side effect is that different finger/fret boards alter the sound of the guitar slightly.. maple being bright, and crisp, ebony being precise and so on....

i beleive fender put them on because he noticed on tv that the maple necks looked dirty and rosewood would hide it..... but a side effect is that different finger/fret boards alter the sound of the guitar slightly.. maple being bright, and crisp, ebony being precise and so on....

yes! my mexican telecaster has a maple neck and fretboard all in one! i think they put it in through the back although i'm not sure. :D

i beleive fender put them on because he noticed on tv that the maple necks looked  dirty and rosewood would hide it..... but a side effect is that different finger/fret boards alter the sound of the guitar slightly.. maple being bright, and crisp, ebony being precise and so on....

yes! my mexican telecaster has a maple neck and fretboard all in one! i think they put it in through the back although i'm not sure. :D

no no.... i know i have a tele with the skunk stripe, but i have no idea how that relates to what i said... ? by "hide it" i meant the dirt on the fretboard when using a rosewood fingerboard