My First Project

Allright Guys,

The Pics

I have decided to post my first project guitar. I purchased a body on ebay for $50. Pretty good deal. One piece solid Brazilian Mahogany. I have decided to go with a Tune-o-matic bridge which will be recessed into the body. I just picked up a new bolt on neck from Carvin as well. I have already stained the headstock to match the body.

All Chrome Hardware (2 Volume, 1 Tone, with a 6 Way Rotary Switch).

Pups:

Dimarzio Air Norton in the Neck

Dimarzio Tone Zone in the Bridge

This has been a fun project, and I plan to add pictures as I go. I appreciate the tutorials on the site. Any feedback or constructive criticism is appreciated. I must say that I have had my troubles with it being my first time using a Nitro finish, but all in all - I still can't wait to finish this thing.

-Skip

I like that shade of blue.. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it..

I must say, though, that I tried that particular combination of pickup before but never really liked it that much.. I prefer a more vintage tone, by the way, just to let you know where I'm coming from.. But then again, tone is a very subjective thing.. Also, the guitar I put it in may have been made of some PoS wood for all know.. :D Do tell how it turns out though!! :D

Thanks for the feed back guys. Originally I wasn't sure what bridge I would put on. I decided to go with the tunomatic, but then realized that I would either have to shim the neck which would suck... or set the bridge down a bit into the body.

Stalefish - Thanks for the feed back on the pups. I already have the ToneZone and the Norton is coming in next week... but I also have a SD Custom Custom I can toss in if the tone isn't up to par.

Thanks guys!

Edited by skipmurphy

Ibanez uses TZ and AN combo in most of their (Mahogany) J-Custom line....so can't be that bad. Although some people don't like the combo of the TZ and the Mahogany.

In my limba JS, because of the same reason, I have opted for Blaze/AN combo.

one piece solid Brazilian Mahogany.

Are you sure....body look awefully pail for Mahogany........

Are you sure....body look awefully pail for Mahogany........

positive about the body being mahogany... if you look at the first pic, you can see a stain at the base that goes all the way across the body. I had to sand that down and actually bleach the wood a little to get the stain out. That maybe why it looked a little pale.

No top on it either, but the guy I bought it from actually is doing many bookmatched tops out of wood that I have really never heard of. I wish I actually had bette pictures of the body before I stained it, but I got excited and slopped it on right after it came out of the box.

Nice blue, too bad about your bridge dilema, I use hipshot hard tail or TOM with string thru and in your case since you already painted I suggest you go with a hardtail. A TOM like you mentioned needs the angle at the neck or a recessed TOM which is how I do mine. Like the one in the GOTM this month. I like this guitar is resembles mine but I rounded the edges and then carved from the waist down. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Maiden - That guitar is gorgeous! I actually purchased 2 bridges, one TOM and another Hardtail. Where the neck sets in the pocket now - the hardtail fits perfect, and I wouldn't need to rout the body. Routing is actually something I am very comfortable with at this point. SO... I think I will end up with the hardtail, but I really like the looks of a TOM with the strings through the body - with small top ferrules. I can save that for the next one :D

Now that I have my feet wet in the forums - I will show you what gave me the bug. About 6 months ago my buddy had a guitar sent to him from a friend and in the bottom of the box was a 3 piece maple body that the guy had made 15 years ago in shop class when he was in high school. My buddy didn't want it, I offered him the $7 that was in my pocket.

Butcher.jpg

I call it the Butcher--not because its bloody or mean, but because it reminds me of a butcher's block. I purchased a neck on ebay for about $40. Now what did we learn from this project? A rookie could heed this advice:

1. Drill Pilot Holes.

(yeah you can't see the broken screw thats underneath the neckplate, but you

know its there.)

2. Buy a Decent Neck.

(sure it stays in tune, but the fact that the truss rod is frozen in place kind of

sucks. I still had to pay $40 to have the frets dressed).

3. Use Proper Ventilation

Nitro Cellulose lacquer when sprayed in the backroom of your office will smell up your entire office.

4. Measure

Make sure your pickup cavity is in the right position. (this guitar sounds pretty muddy)

5. Mount the neck before you mount the bridge.

(The body came with a bridge in order for the right scale length I purchase a new bridge and moved it back. Now there is a hole in the body.)

6. Pick-Guard material will cover holes in the body

(in case your bridge is in the wrong position) Sure some people say duct tape works too, but if you are going for low-class instead of no-class, use the pick-guard.

This is actually going to be the guitar I probably experiment with. I now have a router to work with so I will be moving the bridge pickup back and adding a neck pickup in the future. And you can see the strip of glue where the pieces where joined on the arm-rest. The original maker got a little excited with a belt sander, so I will probably paint it a solid color and try some new things. But only after I finish the Blue one.

Thanks Marzocchi!

Its got a SD Custom Custom in it right now with a concentric pot for Volume/Tone.  Its got some good tone to the wood when not plugged in, but like I said before its pretty muddy when plugged in now.  I cant wait to get that pup in the right position.

I bet if you changed the magnet to an 1/8" Ceramic, making it a Duncan Custom with a few extra winds, you'll get a lot more clarity, but more output at the same time. AlNiCo V would make it much too different of a beast tonewise, IMO.

If you listen to the sound clips on the Seymour Duncan website, you probably won't notice much of a difference, but I don't think they did a great job of recording. *Hint* Check their forum out! Tips & Clips! *Hint*

Yes that is a carvin neck. I got burned by ebay on my first project guitar. (I think the guy put the truss rod in with lock-tite).

That pic was actually taken before I hit it with Nitro, so it pops alot more now.

Cudbucket -

The stain is ColorTone Liquid Stain #5039 from StewMac - And I read about that poor guy and the trem stud. I feel for him :D

lol... whats an RG shape? I have mocked up the guitar... and the neck fits fine, as does all the pups and the electronics, but I still don't know what you mean... I will post some more pics soon. I am actually getting pretty close... I need to throw a couple more coats of nitro on the body, and then finish the logo on the headstock.