Can You Say Tele, Yes Another Batch

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said in the last post.  I will make them all, some will go to ebay as raw finished bodies.

Some will get the full treatment, and some I will keep. 

I can't get a good pic of this, I have no idea why, When I tried to take a picture in the sun it just would not do it. 

This is just eye candy.  The rest I am trying to figure out how and when and what...  Patience is a virture...  This will be a GOTM entry. 

Hey Drak aren't you the one that keeps teasing us?  At least I, :D, have posted the pics, you are a true tease you need to post. jk

The top in person is beautiful.  sorry for the bad pics here are three more. 

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/RED1.jpg

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/RED2.jpg

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/RED3.jpg

That's just beautiful. I hope to get my dye jobs to that level someday.

Dave

I think the black is a bit uneven, doesn't seem to add depth (shadow) as much as contrast between heavy color. That may be the color of the wood to some degree, and that may be what you are going for ( I dunno). I guess not really a critique more of an observation. What I prefer is to have more subtle changes in shade to get depth, but I have seen others that prefer real thick color and black. The pics may not be very true to life so???? I like the Quilt. Looks like the bookmatch is not to far off. I think your finishing is getting better Big D. You are sure must be getting a bunch of practice doing so many bodys.

Peace and have fun, Rich :D

THat double neck is a nice guitar, but I will definately redo the stain on it. I don't know if it is the camera, but there are a few areas that look too light or too dark. This might be because the top is not completely straight when sanding the dark color, or just because it was not done right.

DNT.jpg

The way I was told by Myka is to look at staining as if it was water colors, you can play with it, until you are satisfied with the color, and this is what I did on mine. As you can see here the top was too dark even for my taste, so I decided to give it a go and just use water to pick up as much stain as I could with a damp rag, after that I just tweeked the blue and I ended up with this. you have to play with the darke stain too in order to maintain a balance of shadows from both sides of the bookmatch. If when sanding I noticed that one side was darker than the other I either added a wash coat to the lighter, or if I thought that the lighter was the better looking continue sanding the other. Also I found out that cleaning the top orten led me to see the true tone of the stain, because the grain tended to "fill" with the dust and look lighter that it realy was.

Just a few notes that I took while doing mine, this was my first go at staining and I think that the results were prety darn good for a first. I did consulted David and read Draks and Perrys post on staining before even thinking about starting to play on my maple.

I must have redone this top 3 or 4 times with the different colors.

This is what I wanted lighter outside darker inside. The pic is not perfect but its the color I love

black sanded all the way back, then yellow on the sides, brown amber ish in the middle.

The figure is inconsistent on this piece, so it was tough to get perfect.

ok I need some help on two things.

#1. how do you take picture of a red guitar? I have these:

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/IMG_0699.JPG

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/IMG_0698.JPG

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/IMG_0696.JPG

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/IMG_0695.JPG

and they are not turning out right. The finish in person looks really good, cept can't capture it.

then #2,

there are little verticale darker marks in the stain that I cannot get rid of. I stained and sanded this top back to bare wood 3 times and just can't get rid of them... The wood does have a mineral streak that runs down both sides, but I am talking abou these:

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/IMG_0697.JPG

see where the camera reflection is... those small streaks...

I don't nkow about the streaks but photography I can speak intelligently about :D Looks like you have a point and shoot camera so this may not work.. but you need good light and no flash. That's easier with an SLR where you can adjust it manually. If that doesn't work. Shoot it outside in natural light, and turn your fill flash off. Also if your camera has any sort of white balance adjustment, set it for warm.. Looks like you're a little on the cool side. warming it up some might capture the color better.

Reds are hard with some digital cameras as it is a primary color in the sensor panel and it can really excite the CCD. You may have to shoot it the best you can then take it into photoshop or paint shop pro or something where you can adjust the hue/saturation levels to get it more realistic to what you see in person.

Studio photographers rarely send a photo of a product out untouched. They get the best photo they can get then they retouch the hell out of it. There are all kinds of tricks but don't feel bad that you aren't getting the pic straight off the camera. It takes post-shot manipulation to get some colors like that perfect.

Hope that helps. If you're going to shoot a lot of product on the cheap for your auctions, check into a canon digital rebel. you have total control of everything, and with the raw image output, you can change anything in post you don't like on the image :D they are readily on ebay for 500 or less and well worth it. Good pictures make all the difference.

Derek, I don't think that it is the pics, the color of the red on the pics look great, not too overpowering or too light, the clear looks nice, but the stain job is not doing justice to that quilt, the black sand back wasn't sanded correctly or it didn't penetrate deep enough in the areas that look light. Or if you were intending for a light shade then there were areas that you didn't sand far enough.

here is what makes me nuts...

There was no black stain then sand back...

its all red stain, thats it. Its that new stain that I am trying Mohawk deep penetrating stain.

I put about 3 to 4 coats on it just letting it dry and then adding another coat to build up that deep red.

OK to me i think its just a problem every1 has with taking pictures of red guitars... ive never seen a red stained guitar that shows its true look. and to me even that 1st picture looks great, the only thing i can suggest is good lighting and no flash. Long shutter speed will get a better picture but i dont know what sort of camera you have.

BigT

If there is no black stain there then I will stay away from that stain, because it is staining uneven.

I don't know if anybody else can't see it but it is freaking obvious, there are blotches that are way darker on one side than in others, and please no more BS about how difficult is red to picture OK. I know that red is hard to pic, but it is the true hue that is the one that is hard to capture, not blotches all over the damn guitar. It is very hard to get it to show red instead or orange or brownish... so please, keep it real!

If you don't want to realize that the stain is not perfect, (see I'm not saying that it looks like complete caca), fine, don't blame the camera or the photographer.

Seriously, I wouldn't use that stain again, try the stewmac stains, I have never had a problem with them, (then again I have done only 2 jobs, the blue being the 1st one, and a green that I did for a guy at the shop, but it was a curly maple frame) and I have never seen this happen, the only time was on the pic that I showed you earlier, and it was because I didn't prep the wood propertly before staining.

I know what you are saying. I sanded from 80 grit to 320 evenly. took a rag soaked it in the red stain and went at it on the guitar. Evenly putting the stain on it, its not like I put one side darker than the other. It all went on at the same time.

Yes you can see the huge difference on one side to another, and thats some of my fustration, the piece had some coloration in it, but not like what you see here. I could not have done anymore right in terms of prepping the surface. I am not concerned about the color "boltchyness" more about the dark streaks in the close up I showed...

from a pic perspective I want to see the top with the correct lighting so that you can actually see it with out any glare lights, flashes or whatever. just a good quality pic

BigD- Do you have a pic of the top before it was finished. I am curious to see what the discoloration in the top looked like. It may very well be the stain. Some stains do not color as deep as others. I don't know if this is true, but I read once that the pigment is finer in dyes than stains. That might just be BS, I really am no expert on dyes/stains. I have had the best luck with the Color Tone (Stew Mac) and the LMI Metal acid dyes. Other dyes appear to not look as deep, even, or brilliant. I can't comment on the pics cuz I take lousy pics myself.

Peace, Rich