Can You Say Tele, Yes Another Batch

I have been resawing and glueing and getting ready for the next batch. My finishing skills are getting close to very good and its almost time to kick some sheit.

Here is my last three months of work.

I have a new secret formula for finishing guitars... its called mohawk deep penetrating stain. Unreal stuff but toxic as heck.

ts.jpg

ts1.jpg

ts2.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st ten are gone. sold all of them.

These dyes are very interesting. I got these dyes from that wood shop was closing, you know my monster router? - that shop, this guy built high furniture for huge companies like Microsoft and others. He said these dyes hold up better long term and really get the wood to pop. they do. but they don't sell to consumers from what he told me.

eventually these all go to ebay. There is one on ebay now.

Edited by bigdguitars

Wow, you work fast my man. Do you have that router up and running yet? It might be me, but it looks like those tops could "pop" a bit more. Some of them have looked a little flat to me in the past. What is your procedure for finishing? Could we get a pic of your spraying setup?

These dyes are 1000x times better than any dye you can get from stu mac or whatever.

That's complete BS Derek. If you want to believe it, that's fine, but I don't think you really have enough experience finishing guitars in the first place to make such a statement, and I don't like you misleading newbs with misinformation like that to believe it either.

If I had Perry's BAD INFO pic, I would stamp it right here. :D:DB)

ok maybe not 1000x but they have really interesting seepin. -msg edited.

go ahead and stamp it, have you used these dyes? I have used them on three guitars and there is a difference.

The guy I bought them from had been in woodworking for 40 years. He had tried them all, so call it what you want.

Edited by bigdguitars

well i'd be curious to know what you are comparing them to. Maybe these dyes work into maple faster than water soluble analines.. but there are several different types of readily available analine dies out there that produce stellar results..

I think technique has more to do with the final result.. Wouldn't want newcomers to think they can only get great looking dyed tops by using regulated commercial dye products.. There are plenty of options for dying that you can get at any fine woodworking store..

These dyes are 1000x times better than any dye you can get from stu mac or whatever.

That's complete BS Derek. If you want to believe it, that's fine, but I don't think you really have enough experience finishing guitars in the first place to make such a statement, and I don't like you misleading newbs with misinformation like that to believe it either.

If I had Perry's BAD INFO pic, I would stamp it right here.

oh man, i wish i visited here more regularly, been bursting to use this baby for a while now. Here it is for old time sakes, not anything to do with this post :D

bad.jpg

:D

Derek, make sure that you don't sacrifice quality for quantity. From the other 10, I saw a few miss aligned string holes and bad routed pup holes. I saw and improvement over the first few you posted, but don't slack now that you are selling more.

And like mledbetter said, I think is more of technique as that the dye you use. Stew Macs are awsome, but it took a lot of finesse to get my top to look the way it did.

• 3 weeks later...

That picture is horrible, I can't really tell anything definitive at all about the guitar or finish from that pic except it's some shade of red and has been figure enhanced. Too much reflection I think.

Please take another clearer shot and post it.

Yes, there is contrast, but the pic is so undefinitive, I can't tell whether those dark lines are mineral streaks in the wood or a sand back that just sort of sucks and wasn't done right.

Almost looks like a Litchfield pic, hehehe...

'Something' about it does not look very good, but I can't tell what it is, the pic is so undefined.

PS, Derek, are you planning on building any more guitars all the way thru to buffed out and properly intonated completion or have you decided to just cut and sell raw bodies?

I mean, your title 'implies' that you are building 20 Telecasters, but I don't see that at all. I see a bunch of roughed out bodies, some with finish, some without.

Please clarify what you are doing. Anyone with a $99.00 router and a template and a good wood connection can build rough bodies. The -DISTANCE- between 'that' ground and building completed, well playing, respected guitars is a LOOOONG road in-between.

So are you just posting eye candy for the 16 year olds amongst us or are you building guitars or what? I'm sort of confused to tell you the truth... :D

Just curious... :D

Yes, there is contrast, but the pic is so undefinitive, I can't tell whether those dark lines are mineral streaks in the wood or a sand back that just sort of sucks and wasn't done right.

Almost looks like a Litchfield pic, hehehe...

:D I was about to post the Litch thing my self. looks like when he was playing with those food coloring "stains" and I think it looks like if the top was not sanded good before starting to stain, like on the piece at the bottom left on this pic

DSC01854.jpg

that was my first attempt to stain, and I had no idea what I had to do.

The red one there looks too 2-Dimensional. Not enough depth going on. Might just be the photo, though. :D

As for the bodies vs. completed guitars thing-- well, if all D wants to do is make bodies, I don't see what's wrong with that. He never lies in his eBay listings, and when a body has a few minor imperfections, he says so-- nothing wrong with that IMO.

Greg

Kinda looks like there was a lot of color in the Maple, but it is pretty hard to tell much. A nice closer shot would be nice.

I don't think there is anything wrong with making bodys to sell. If thats what he wants to do. I would hope the final product is good. It is pretty simple to make a flat top body, but finishing them really well and not having them look like crud requires skill and attension to detail. I guess I didn't take the title as anything more than a bunch of new body's, probably because I saw the last batch.

Peace, Rich

Like I said in the last post. I will make them all, some will go to ebay as raw finished bodies.

Some will get the full treatment, and some I will keep.

I can't get a good pic of this, I have no idea why, When I tried to take a picture in the sun it just would not do it.

This is just eye candy. The rest I am trying to figure out how and when and what... Patience is a virture... This will be a GOTM entry.

Hey Drak aren't you the one that keeps teasing us? At least I, :D, have posted the pics, you are a true tease you need to post. jk

The top in person is beautiful. sorry for the bad pics here are three more.

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/RED1.jpg

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/RED2.jpg

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/RED3.jpg