Tremonti Shredding?

Maiden69

OK, I know must of all think that Tremonti was just a regular guitar guy, and that he didn't deserve the 3 covers on Guitar One, I heard some of his old stuff and the new Alter Bridge and even thought that the solo on A B was a bit off for the song. I was visiting Musicians Forum a moment ago and forund this threasd that led me to this link.

http://www.mark-tremonti.com/

Go to the bottom left hand and click on the Mark shred Lesson Added and check all the clips. I think he deserves a bit more appreciation from musicians that he gets. He went up a notch on my guitar players book.

:D:D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think his playing in Alter Bridge was definitely a few notches up from the Creed days.. by his own admission.. he was more of a riff machine in the early days.. But some stuff I read about him post-Creed.. he worked his ass off with some new teachers and set out to really better himself. So my hat is off to him.. He was already a star and worshipped by many, he could have just rested on his laurels..

I hate it for him though.. he had a great sig model with PRS and it's canned because of that stupid lawsuit..

I think he deserves a bit more appreciation from musicians that he gets.  He went up a notch on my guitar players book.

:D  :D

I quote his website:

"Mark is currently on tour with Alter Bridge. Make sure you catch them near you soon to experience one of the best shows you'll ever see."

What a ______* __________* ________* ____________*

*fill in random expletives

I'll be sure to check out the website, but without the influence of knowing his personality (I AM often influenced by such things, even though I know I shouldn't be), I have to say that I absolutely hate his solo on "Open Your Eyes", the first (and only?) hit single from Alter Bridge.

The song itself is actually quite good... or at least, "good" being subjective, I quite like it. But I wince each and every time it gets to that horrible horrible solo.

Still, I'll check the website out. I hope he DOES eventually become the guitarist he could be, but according to the evidence I've seen, he's not there yet.

Greg

I had to go back to iTunes and listen to "Open our Eyes" yeah that solo was pretty bad.. not that I could play it.. but i remember the first time i heard it thinking it sounded like several shredding exercises strung together with a quarter note's worth of vibrato in between.. He's still young though, time will tell.

The shredding on the website DOES turn out to be pretty impressive. Once he has more musicality (when playing fast, but also in deciding when to serve the song), he'll be something to look out for.

Greg

i haven't seen anything on his website, but i did catch a live clip of him shredding at a sound check.  i must say, he's got some speed.

with all of the delay/repeats on the guitar.....he's not that fast.....but, at least he's on the right track, props to the guy for wanting to improve instead of sitting on his laurels.

steve

Oh, he's pretty fast all right. Watch the website videos again. Not a delay/repeat to be had. Nothing but fast-moving fingers.

I still agree with the statement that his solos in songs sound like practice exercises all strung together, though.

We're obviously not looking at the same clip, or you're using the wrong terminology. When he stops playing, there are absolutely no repeated notes. With an echo/delay, you would still hear his last notes repeating at least once more. :?

I think people roll over their creed bashing onto tremonti. I always thought he seemed like a pretty cool guy. And reading what all he went through to better himself after creed before kicking off the altar bridge stuff, i have to respect him. And people can say what they want, the first creed album was freakin awesome.. they just turned to cheese as time went on.. And plus, it's popular to bash the ones that have mega-success.. call them sell-outs and whatnot.

I was pretty impressed with the vid clips though. i'd like to be able to play like that.

I agree he seems like a pretty decent bloke and has some pretty killer chops from going from those videos, but I have to agree with Devon... GOOD GOD the amount of noise there would drive me banannas.

- Dan

hey guys..that is not an echo or a delay.that is a wha effect.

it does have the habit of making things sound like they are faster than they really are.adds kind of a "screaming" kind of noise,as if the guitar is fixing to burn up.

he is not very fast,really.the licks he is doing there are very simple.

but i am not a guy who thinks you have to be fast to be good.i think judging a guitarist by the speed of his lead playing is very shallow.

what IS funny though,in my mind,is that some of you that love that little soundcheck clip think that kirk hammett is overrated.

all that guy is doing in that clip is vintage kirk hammett licks,played with vintage kirk hammett wha effect.

except kirk can do that much faster than that,for as long as he wants to.

if you guys like that little clip...you should get "cliff em all" and watch kirk play between '80 and '86.especially "seek and destroy" and "metal militia"

I don't know Wes, I have the Cliff 'em All tape, and yes they are very much alike. But for the music that Tremonti plays with Alter Bridge or Creed, this is light years ahead of it. Like oyu say, I don't judge a player but the licks he play, and on the type of music he plays he is preety good. May suck ibto the YJM, Satriani, Batio set, and he ain't no Kirk, (alto I don't know how much of Kirk is left) but he is a darn good player, and the issue of the wah, has being discussed a lot over the years, when they told Kirk that he was just usng it to hide his mistakes! So what is they are using it like that, most of the ones that always bring the argument into the magazinesa are the ones that can't play half as good as the ones they are critizising.

There are DEFINITELY players that are faster, and most of them aren't even famous. I also agree about the 'clean tone' equation. Bet it would sound awful with a clean tone.

However, I would still very much like to have his level of chops, combined with my own sense of musicality (I could do without his. :D ).

I may be playing devil's advocate a bit, because as I've demonstrated in other threads, I really dislike Tremonti's style. I'm just trying to give him credit for the ability that he DOES have.

I think Hammett's definitely overrated, but I ALSO think Tremonti is overrated. If forced to choose who was better, I'd still say Hammett.

Greg