My First From Scratch Guitar.

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for about 9-10 months now and I love it. You guys gave me the confidence and the knowledge to try my hand at making a guitar.

I've made one other guitar before, but I only cut the body from a slab of maple and attached a neck, nothing to write home about.

This one is a neck-through design with all maple body, top, fingerboard, and walnut fret markers and truss rod cover. The scale length is 26.5" because I'd never played a large scale guitar and I wanted to try it. I really like it, and the intonation is amazing. The electronics are two GF Rickenbacker-type pickups with stereo wiring. Each pickup has volume, tone, kill switch, and single/humbucker/single selector switch. The finish is Stew-Mac orange dye and Deft from a spray can. The finish turned out really nice, you can actually see your reflection, which is more than I expected.

Many mistakes, as are expected on a first build, but overall it ended in having a lot of fun and getting a really nice guitar in the end.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Mike

More pictures at:

This Page

G01_final2.jpg

Personaly, I think that the way you figured the headstock really helps offset the unusually wide body. Beyond that I like the look of an instrument that isn't "cookie cutter". The only thing I wonder about is the choice of wood for the truss rod cover. But, hey, builders choice... right! All in all looks damn fine for a first shot. Hope to see more in the future, good luck.

Nate Robinson

Hey,

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

It is a really large guitar (about 16.5" wide at the widest). I like the size more than I thought I would; It feels like you're kind of strapped in when you're playing it. And the hollowed body still makes the weight tolerable. Having said that, in a perfect world I would go back and make it a little smaller. And my next build will definitely be smaller. I'm not crazy about the walnut truss rod cover, either. I'm sure that's something I'll change soon.

As I said, lots of mistakes, lots of learning.

The wiring is one jack that has a selection of either pickup and another jack which is always the neck pickup. So with two amps I usually play with the neck and bridge pickups going to different amps.

Thanks again to everyone on this site for the inspiration and all the help.

Hopefully I'll have a new one to show soon!

Mike.

Well, I think the execution is pretty great...but that design...I dunno...it looks like you designed this with the saw, and figured out your shape while you were cutting it.

I see the resemblance to a rickenbacker tulip, but this guitar just doesn't have the same elegance that a rick has...like splorge says, it looks like a cartoon guitar...

I'm not too bothered by the width, it's mostly those puffy horns...