Primus

thedoctor

I will watch Primus in their Pork Soda video at least once a month and enjoy it each time. Why? He is ugly, can't sing, flails at the bass like a madman and does the STUPIDEST songs. I am repulsed yet I cannot turn away. Like a bad car wreck.

He's saying that he enjoys Primus, but he has no way of quantifying WHY, since their style of musicianship isn't something that would normally appeal to him.

You guys need to learn to read between the lines. Holy crap. <laff>

Yeah, I don't know about Pork Soda, but I love Sailing the Seas of Cheese. Such good music. It's like the songs scratch a part of the brain that rarely gets scratched. It's simultaneously catchy and yet completely counter-pop. I dunno how they do it, but it's fookin' brilliant. Mostly, I don't know exactly WHY either, but I think this paragraph at least approaches an explanation. :D

Greg

A part of the brain that rarely gets scratched... interesting concept. It actually reminds me of something I read that Steven King said about his horror novels, "People have these aligators in their mind under a trap door. You have to occationally feed them."

I think it's just the mix of "i've never heard anything like this" along with the fact that the dude is just damn good.. It may nto be the kind of music you would play, given the choice, but listening to it feeds your creativity anyway..

Primus is eclectic enough.. but check out oysterhead.. Mix the strangeness of claypool with the ego of copeland, and the jamitude of anastasio. and you have quite a sonic mix.. I don't particularly like the content of the music as much but I love hearing them all play..

check out sack trick www.sacktrick.com

strange fellows, really cool! they have some audio up, check out no tomatos for me thanks and penguins on the moon. hell its all good!

Mike

Darren, I could not have said it better but I should add that he is the most proficient, creative bass-player since Jaco.

I have a two word answer for that: Gary Willis

This man made me fall in love with fretless bass as a melodic instrument. I got to know him a bit during some the dominate Tribal Tech days. I believe his site is at garywillis.com

:D

Well, simply put, Les Claypool is visiting us from an alternate universe, and while he wows us with strange bass lines, he uses his telepathic powers to influence our musical tastes towards the strange and eccentric.

Or something like that. :D

Actually, I like Primus because I'm a bassist and really appreciate the completely different angle Claypool takes on the instrument from everyone else, ever.

On top of that, they just have the strange but cool factor. You just don't quite get what they're doing, or why, which is why it's so much fun to see what they're going to do next. Another band that shares that quality to a certain extent is They Might Be Giants.

• 4 weeks later...

I never used to like em, but my bass player always listens to it and I dunno one day it just grew on me, they are all pretty good musicians. Les is an amazing bassist... HOLY ****! haha.