Would You Take A Loan To Buy A Rig?

feylya

Would you take a loan?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got to thinking this evening about buying gear and my (current) ideal set up and how much it would cost. From what I can see, €3000 would get me a great set up but to save €3000 would take a while so why not get a loan and pay back €60ish a week for a year?

In case anyone wants to know what my rig would be:

Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-Major

Rocktron Velocity 100 Power Amp (2x55W)

Samsung Power Conditioner

SKB 6 Unit Rack Case

Behringer FCB1010

Behringer 4x12

Cow Bell

Random Midi, speaker and patch leads

All that would cost €2100 leaving €900 plus whatever I sell my current rig for to spend on a guitar. Nice, no?

And leave reasons why you voted which ever way.

Edited by feylya

im mixed about it. i think its a great idea when you want a lot and you're willing to pay for it and use it. However it can be a problem when you have so much going on. I don't know if their stories are true but you always hear about the guy on ebay selling his mesa boogie for no reserve because he needs the cash super fast to pay off something else.

With the loan or not, you either wait so many years to have it all, or wait so many years to pay for it all, if it takes that long. I am thinking of doing the same thing; buy myself a new computer for recording and then buy recording gear and any other gear and pay so much a month. Will you be doing that through a website like musiciansfriend.com, or will you take the loan through a bank or something like that?

-Jamie

That sure seems like a lot of money for an under powered rig.. 2x55 amp isn't much. I don't like the idea of debt for things like computers, tech equipment, etc.. and music stuff would be the same.. What if you were still paying on it a year from now and the new model came out and you decided what you have sucks..Find a good amp to base on and then buy pedals or rack pieces as you go.

How well do you handle being in debt? What other financial burdens do you have to deal with? Have you tried out all the equipment you're talking about buying? Are you -sure- that they all get you the perfect tone, or are they compromises in any way? If you answered no to any of these questions, don't do it.

That sure seems like a lot of money for an under powered rig.. 2x55 amp isn't much.
What arenas are you playing??!? If 100 watts isn't enough, use the PA!!

FWIW, unless you're playing for real money often enough to make the payments, I don't like the idea of buying a rig on credit.

Seems to be a lot of you set against credit. How many of you use credit cards? I consider those the same as or worse than a loan since the rates are so much higher. I did it because I paid no interest so I could make interest off my money for 5 months while I paid on my rig.....it's like getting free money to me.

When I didn't have money I didn't use credit unless I absolutely had to. Now I am older and have a few bucks I use it when it benefits me. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

If credit cards are considered a loan (and I believe they are) then yes, I've done it many times. Just like materials for the shop etc.

I've got roughly $10,000 into my guitar rig right now, wasn't spent all at once, I purchased parts one at a time or two at a time until I was happy with it. A lot of those parts were put on a credit card, usually only because the deals come up when I DON'T have cash to buy with :D

The credit card I have is low interest (6.9%) and I get the airmiles, in fact, many times, even if I have the cash, I'll use my credit card and then pay it off before 30 days is up, then there is zero interest, and I get the air miles :D

Yes, but only if I knew that my band was going to take of (and I mean KNEW... like... record guys at my door after I come back from the bank) then yea. Otherwise, there would be no reason for me need to buy an entire rig in one go.

I don't really like the thought of buying an entire rig, though. Because, instead of just one new gadget to try to learn, you all of the sudden have 20 that you have to learn, and then figure out how to make them sound their best with each other.

AMS has a 3 or 5 payment option on items over a certain amount. They'll bill your credit (or debit) card, making it easier to pay off. I've done that several times and paid it off in 3, so I don't consider that a loan. Like 90 days same as cash down at the SofaKing (Our Prices Are SofaKing Low...).

For other stuff, I just pay as I go.

I bought my rig on credit when I was a college student with a full-time job. Went to my local bank, got a $2500 loan, bought the gear, played the hell out of it, paid it off. Life went on.

Now, the only down side of this is that 20 years later the same rig that I made payments on for years is now worth... well, I bought a couple of em on ebay lately for 100$ each... at least I lowered my overall average cost...

I wouldn't.. I don't like the idea of spending money that I don't have.. I understand that with really large amounts of money, the opportunity costs involved may make taking a loan economically sensible (e.g. my car) but I'd only do it if I really had no other choice.. For a sum of money like that one you're talking about, IMHO, I'd rather save up for it..

I suppose the only reason to go into debt over a rig is if you are a professional that needs the tools to get the job done. For me, I just play for fun. I buy what I need when I need it. To take out a loan on a monster rig would only make sense if I was going on tour and that the rig would be paid off from the monies earned while playing.

I gotta agree that the play-as-you-pay interest free deals through AMS or Musicians Friend are a good option.