Blue Lacewood Rhoads V

Well, no pics (yet, but a funny story).

I tried the stain black/sand back/blue 3 times and I just couldn't get it right. It looked like crap all 3 times.

So the 4th time I used Blood Red instead over the black.

A WINNER! It Looked GREAT!

So I've been doing clearcoats on it, looking hotter than hell, and today, around 4:30, I was doing my last coat of the day, and I decided to hold it in my one hand to get a better shot on all sides.

Yup, it slipped out of my hand and fell with a dull splat -right into the dirt- with wet lacquer all over it.

Obviously I have to completely redo it now, and it's just FULL of dirt, dirt -all- over it.

Oh well, a chance to make it better than it was I guess. But it was definitely a suck moment in time for sure, I thought it was funny how things go sometimes. :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooohhhh!!!!

sad,sad day :D

i remember one time i was profiling a headstock and my bandsaw blade went dull and cut a dish into it...it ended up only 3/8" in the center and 3/4" on the edges...

this neck was all but finished...truss rod and fretboard installed...plus 2 graphite rods...

i thought i was going to have to scrap the whole thing...i almost cried...i ended up laminating a cap on though...

That is very true, and a very positive approach, Bravo Algee!

(You know one dent...and it's The Tenderizer time, hehehe) it was a hairs breath away from WOD-fest.

That's only the second time a guitar has ever fallen on me, and the first one went stright to WOD, no pass Go, no $200.00, just the Jaws of Death. :D

That is very true, and a very positive approach, Bravo Algee!

(You know one dent...and it's The Tenderizer time, hehehe) it was a hairs breath away from WOD-fest.

Oh man! Even if you did drop it and it dented it would'nt be fixed so i guess you and the V got lucky :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

I hope I can get one more shot at it, the Lacewood was only about 1/8" to begin with, and this will be the 5th sand back... :D

But the rear control cavity cover and headstock veneer are all the same Lacewood, so I have to sand EVERYTHING back to zero and stain all of them over again so the shade is even throughout all the pieces... :D

I hope I can get one more shot at it, the Lacewood was only about 1/8" to begin with, and this will be the 5th sand back... :D

B)

You are sanding everything back? Why not just take off the clear. What are you spraying...

are you trying to insinuate drak does not know how to finish a guitar? :D

Dude, it HIT the DIRT, full bore, face down, with WET LACQUER all over it...there is dirt caked all over it and deeply embedded in it :DB):D

I should have taken a pic I guess and posted it for laughs... B)

Then again, someone would have probably stolen the idea for a new ehhh, 'look' :D

Dude, it HIT the DIRT, full bore, face down, with WET LACQUER all over it...there is dirt caked all over it and deeply embedded in it  :D  :D  B)

I should have taken a pic I guess and posted it for laughs...  :D

might be a good look...leave the dirt,clear over it,and sand it level

Definitely Rob Zombie material. B)

Yes, bare freakin' wood for the 5th time around. It's filthy with dirt. I mean, it didn't hit the grass, or a root, it hit a bank of solid, raw dirt, facedown. :D:D

On the other hand, the -other- guitar I was shooting at the time, an Alder bodied Birdseye Maple topped Tele which I have named Autumn Leaves,....is coming out perrrfect. :D

Man Im Just glade That The W.O.D did'ent eat it :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Dude, it HIT the DIRT, full bore, face down, with WET LACQUER all over it...there is dirt caked all over it and deeply embedded in it laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Maybe try what Wes said about putting a clear over it and then use it as a sanding block! LOL Jason

I have another Rhoads V that I'm still in the process of building the body (actually just have to glue up the Lacewood for it) that has an upper wing span of 27" (yeah, dat's right baby, twenny-seven inches! :D ) ...that I decided will be red Lacewood too. I really took a shine to that Red, much better than the blue.

Brothers in METAL! :DB)

I'll probably do one Floyd and the other TOM I guess...I think y'all are really gonna like them.

Pics are at a suck point at the moment.

My friend broke my digital camera a few weeks ago so I went out and bought a Canon (same make as the one I use for work so it makes things easier to swap back and forth)

But my computer at home doesn't seem to like the Canon or it's software as much as it liked the Sony (my last one) so downloading pics into the computer sucks at this point, and no good hoster in sight, so pics for Drak ain't looking too good at the moment, but when I get it all figured out, watch out, I'll unLOAD on ya! (because I AM taking lots of pics, just can't get them processed too well at the moment)

Pics are at a suck point at the moment.

My friend broke my digital camera a few weeks ago so I went out and bought a Canon (same make as the one I use for work so it makes things easier to swap back and forth)

But my computer at home doesn't seem to like the Canon or it's software as much as it liked the Sony (my last one) so downloading pics into the computer sucks at this point, and no good hoster in sight, so pics for Drak ain't looking too good at the moment, but when I get it all figured out, watch out, I'll unLOAD on ya! (because I AM taking lots of pics, just can't get them processed too well at the moment)

What about yahoo, they have an unlimited hoster...

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=p...photos&.intl=us

Edited by AlGeeEater