The Brutalizer v

Yay, youre finally joining the V brigade! Its very Neil Moser, but I like the fact its simpler than the Bastard V. It really does add a lot to the design. Less is more!

Personally I think the bevelled edge paint job is tacky, even on the razorback. Is the maple figured at all, if so, you could do a trans black finish and let the wood show through. If not, a hammerite textured finish might be an option. It will give you and interesting finish and be blacker than black too! Ive fallen in love with textured finishes since I refinished a jackson with plastikote "serpintine marble" flock paint and several coats of clear finish over the top to seal it. I now have a "Rock" guitar! very kewl

whatever you end up doing, Im gonna watch this project. good luck dude

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think the bevelled edge paint job is tacky, even on the razorback. Is the maple figured at all, if so, you could do a trans black finish and let the wood show through. If not, a hammerite textured finish might be an option. It will give you and interesting finish and be blacker than black too! Ive fallen in love with textured finishes since I refinished a jackson with plastikote "serpintine marble" flock paint and several coats of clear finish over the top to seal it. I now have a "Rock" guitar! very kewl

whatever you end up doing, Im gonna watch this project. good luck dude

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...opic=16621&st=0

Well Ya :D It's a Neal Moser inspired, That's "INSPIRED" design

But It's Very different! It's Apples and Oranges B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Actually, it's Rodney inspired!  Go for the textured stuff Matt, It'll take it up a notch. Have fun.

Yes That's Right, thank you Rodney

And With this textured Idea I really think It will work Great with the design,

Im going to do some research Because I just Cant stop thinking About it It's what I see in my head now :D

Ok I've been looking for The hammerite textured finish stuff And I cant realy find Much, what I have found Is Not good! I've read sofar that It's not any good On wood, it chips realy easy, and It's pricey :D

Ok so Is There A finish out the That Can give Me a black asphalt textured look

or Something That will do The black Hammerd textured metal look That will work well With wood?

Ok I've been looking for The hammerite textured finish stuff And I cant realy find Much, what I have found Is Not good! I've read sofar that It's not any good On wood, it chips realy easy, and It's pricey :D

or Something That will do The black Hammerd textured metal look That will work well With wood?

If the paint you want to use doesn't offer good adhesion to wood, get a compatable base coat to cover the guitar with then do the color over that.

I don't know much about the hammered paint your working with, but most textured paint doeasn't do well with allot of coats. Doing maybe a good poly coat over the guitar, sand, then do your textured color. It would give you a buffer between the wood and the color coat and make a thicker finish that could stand up to a bit more.

Just make sure you base coat and the hammered paint work together and you should be good to go.

Hope that helps some B)

forgive me if this has been covered...but if it were me,this is what i would do...

get the textured pickup bed lining...it looks EXACTLY like asphalt...and it applies very thin and tough...

THEN coat it with two part epoxy until it is leveled...scuff it for adherance once it is dry...then finish it out with nitro or poly

That's pretty interesting, Wes. I wouldn't have thought of it.

Have you done one yourself that way? My only concern would be (especialy with black) is that since the look of the texture relies alot on the peaks and valleys geting hit at different angles by light, that leveling it with the top coat would cut down on the texture visibility.

Any thoughts?

That's pretty interesting, Wes. I wouldn't have thought of it.

Have you done one yourself that way? My only concern would be (especialy with black) is that since the look of the texture relies alot on the peaks and valleys geting hit at different angles by light, that leveling it with the top coat would cut down on the texture visibility.

Any thoughts?

no i haven't done it...but i don't thnk the epoxy would change the look of the peaks too much...hard to say though,without actually doing it...but it seems that if a clear coat does not hide even the smallest flaw in a color coat,that it would not obscure the peaks...but that pickup liner is rough stuff...you would have to cover it or you would get scuffed up pretty bad

but i think the light would still come through the same as with no clear coat

don't you think?

i should try this myself sometime...it is something i have considered before..but right now i am right in the middle of the start of a new project...the wood alone is costing me $100s ...no way am i going to cover it.

maybe i will get some plain alder and maple and do 2 guitars at once

forgive me if this has been covered...but if it were me,this is what i would do...

get the textured pickup bed lining...it looks EXACTLY like asphalt...and it applies very thin and tough...

THEN coat it with two part epoxy until it is leveled...scuff it for adherance once it is dry...then finish it out with nitro or poly

Hey guy's This sound's Cool But I have no idea what This (textured pickup bed lining) stuff is! I've never Done Anything like That!

I could Use more info on it Wes, Where Can I get it what does it cost, how does it look All that kinda Crap! B)

Ok and Hear's another Idea but I dont know What it's called

That Ibanez Pited finish thing :D It look's Like Someone painted over old Rust! Any one Know what im talking about?

Thanks guy's

Hum Im not so sure About That Stuff I just Cant get My head around It :D

Wes Have You ever used The Stuff?

EDIT I think my bigest Problem with It is How To Apply it I just dont like The Idea of a Paint brush or A roller

you use a roller...you want the texture,remember?

it is a very thin coating...notice it is polyeurethane?it just has texture in it,that's all.

that stuff is all over pickup beds around here.i see it all the time...

Wes Have You ever used The Stuff?

come on,man...read!rodney already asked

Have you done one yourself that way?

and i already replied

no i haven't done it...

but since it specifically says it will bond to wood,i would say the least you can do is get a little at the local truck and van custom shop and test it out on a piece of scrap.

you wanted texture...now you got it.use it or don't

what's to be sure of?come on man...if you want to come up with all these ideas,you have to experiment!

if you want to be scared and hem haw around...then i can't help you.

get a small can,apply it to a piece of scrap,apply the epoxy,and level it out and see if that is what you want.i can't do all of your work for you.

i promise you when i decide to do a textured finish,that will be the first thing i try.

come on,man...read!rodney already asked

I thought He ment have you ever used It to finish A guiar!

So I asked If you had ever used It at all B)

what's to be sure of?come on man...if you want to come up with all these ideas,you have to experiment!

Im all for experimenting and All that But I cant really see how I can get A good even coverd finish Oh this design with A Roller :D

And Another thing to rember Wes is that This Will be the First Time I have Done a painted finish, it's A great Idea But I need simple for now, rember im still learing

Thanks For all the help Wes I may end up trying this still I have to do some Thinking!

it's pretty simple,man...i have not applied it myself but i have seen a demo at "pickup heaven" a few years back..

a roller just adds to the textured look...a brush is not the way to go...neither is a spraygun...

it ends up looking good ,just trust me enough to try it.

Ok Well hear's what I'll try, I pick some Up when I get some cash I'll try It on A few guitar bodies And I'll see what I come up with! :D

Man What About this stuff? Fleckstone gotham gray :D

http://www.my-mania.com/halloween/fountain.html

http://www.millers-art.co.uk/acatalog/Mill...tikote_169.html

http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote/index.jsp

What Do you gut's Think?

Dont worry Wes ma Im trying both!! B)

i thought you were looking for a rougher finish

Well Im looking anything I can think ok, what I would really like To try Is that acid etched painted rust looking finish! Ive seen it on some ibanez guitars

Any idea's on this Stuff would Be really helpful

Wait I dont know Why I never Thought of this! Rodney are You the "Rodney" that designed the Bastard V, Morpheus, Leviathan, Scarab, Are you? :D