string thru Tom bridge

One EMG-707 bridge pickup

Painted Black- Flat or Gloss Im not sure yet

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Well For My first Paint job I want to keep it Simple and Cool!! So That Would Be black! :D But Im not 110 persent sure yet, I have Been hearing that Black Is really hard To do and Have It look good, So My color could change

If I get More Info On the whole thing

And The LED's Are just going to be on the Top

If you use Oak for the wings, paint it flat black and fill the grain with red like the Gibson Voodoo?

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/VOODOOLP.htm

So something like this right? And that's painted I thought that was dye :D I think that would look DEADLY, it look's like it's A black

guitar soaked with blood!!

the body is swamp ash. What you do is rub red grain filler into the body and spray it with ebony. something like that. do a search and you'll find it dude.

EDIT: I was bored, so being the nice guy I am, I did the search for you lol. the last link is probably the best. I think the Voodoo has been discontinued by Gibson, and if they were around, don't even think about asking them for the black knobs with red numbers, they don't sell them, and i couldn't find a website that carried them.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=9865&hl=voodoo

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=8032&hl=voodoo

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=5431&hl=voodoo

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=3614&hl=voodoo

Edited by sepultura999

Man This would Be so cool to try BUT My neck thru Is going to be maple!

DAM IT!! :D

Any other Good ideas?

Why not just do black with a red trim? simplicity does go a long way. Vader uses Ran guitars. I personally think they look terrible, except the custom one made for Vader which may be right for you. If you click on the link it should show a picture of a V, with red trim. I think their standard guitars are horrible. I like black, don't get me wrong, i have a black yamaha, however if there only lineup is just black stuff, it shows me no interest.

http://www.ranguitars.com/_en/index.htm

If you were to do something like this V, I would say go with matching Red Sperzel tunners, and red plastic pickup rings. If you can't find where to buy them, then look here.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=17448

I asked about it the other day.

Edited by sepultura999

Ok Now I think Black And red Are a bit overdone as well But I could try black with white Bevels

Black isn't hard to get right as long as you're spraying it on a very flat surface and you spray it on nice and even. the reason why people say black is hard is because it will show any dips(etc.) in the wood that you did not sand out, and any runs in the paint stick out like a sore thumb. my first car was a 1986 nissan 300zx turbo, i shaved the door handles on it and then painted the hole thing black. and i did it all right in my garage. everyone thought the paint looked great. sooo what i'm getting at is...(drum roll please)...black paint is completely do-able. i say go for it.

*edit*poor grammar strikes again! :D *edit*

Edited by thegarehanman

Ok now This may Be A dumb Qustion hear But what The He11 right :D

Ok now with A flat black finish is It going to go really high gloss

where my arm rest's, well for that matter anywhere that it's Get's rubed

up against, because it that's the Case flat Is out!!

Ya I really think This Will be My BEST work Yet!! But Im going to take My time And Ask A TON of qustions And learn every thing I can

I Want this so bad :D !!

Hey That's An idea! Green Led's = Green bevels

Maybe I will :D

Wo! soooo Evil!

I'd actually consider going with fiber if you want LED type inlays. The thing that worries me about using the LEDs is that you can't replace the neck or fretboard as easily on a neck-thru as a bolt-on. You shouldn't have to do this but when you're building experience with LED inlay, there's always a chance for a mistake or something that will work for a couple of months and then go dead (loose solder joint, ...). I'd hate to see that happen on this guitar.

With fiber, it either works or it doesn't. You'll know right away what you've got once you do the installation. The drawback (as I've mentioned before) is the size of the dots becomes an issue since it's much harder to bend the fiber.

Don't let me discourage you though if you really want LEDs. Having the passion to have it just the way you want it is what separates mediocre builders from the best (or at least part of the equation).

To sum it up:

Fiber would probably be the most reliable but comes at a price of not being as large as LEDs. An added bonus is that you can change the color of any dot (or all) at any time.

LEDs are a nice size and plenty bright enough but always carry the risk that something could fail at any time. If you are very good with a soldering iron and know what to look for when examining you're work - don't lose too much sleep over this. I think LEDs are quicker to install than fiber but that's just been my experience and probably due to my crazy schemes.

Let us know which direction you end up going in. This one should be interesting and I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

(maybe you could throw in some LEDs or fiber in the headstock too? - I've always wanted to do that)

DaveQ

Well I dont know Any thing about Fiber Optic inlays, I havent got A clue

how they work

And With the Led's on the headstock thing It would Be cool To have two Green Led's Under A headstock inlay!! Any ideas On how this could work and What type of A simple inlay I could have That would work with the guitar?

The fibers are just thin plastic rod (flexible but can't do sharp angles). You connect one end of them to a large (5mm) LED and the light shows up on the other end. I think they are ideal for neck-through guitars. Fibers on a bolt-on aren't so great although it certainly can and has been done.

The fibers are pretty cheap and the installation isn't too bad (unless it's a bolt-on neck). You need to use epoxy instead of CA since CA usually burns right through the fiber optic material (maybe not all types). I hate using epoxy but not everyone feels that way I'm sure.

Since the LED lives inside the control cavity, it's easy to swap out or change for a different color, ... There's no solder joints to worry about either (at least not in a place that is difficult to get at).

But, like I said, the fibers need to be pretty small to get them to bend inside a fretboard. I don't know if I've seen a front dot fiber neck before but I have seen plenty of side dots.

Just something to think about.

i always thought that doing almost a rope light style LEDs around the guitar would look cool, but it would be expensive and very very hard on batteries!

Nice lookin design there Matt, good luck with it!

Curtis

One thing about the Voodoo matt is that it gets really shiny very quickly from contact from clothing etc. I'm sure its just because of the finish gibson use. They look more satin than matt when u see them in person. I have seen loads of Voodoo that are a few weeks old and they are shiny where your arm rests.

One thing about the Voodoo matt is that it gets really shiny very quickly from contact from clothing etc. I'm sure its just because of the finish gibson use. They look more satin than matt when u see them in person. I have seen loads of Voodoo that are a few weeks old and they are shiny where your arm rests.